•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Solar Processing Tutorial (Rapid Workflow) for HA | Jan 16th 2020

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 16 January 2020 - 05:22 PM

Hey all,

I made an acquisition and processing tutorial a while back (3 years ago? Yikes!) and it is fairly dated in terms of what I'm doing these days. I've been asked for a long time to make a new one showing what I'm doing these days. Specifically how I'm processing a single shot image for both the surface and prominences and how to process them together to show prominences and the surface at once. I've abandoned doing split images and composites and strictly work from one image using layers. Acquisition does not use gamma at all anymore. Nothing terribly fancy, but it's not exactly intuitive so hopefully this new video will illustrate most of the fundamentals to get you started. Instead of an hour, this time it's only 18 minutes. It's real time from start to finish. I'm sorry for the long "waiting periods" where I'm just waiting for the software to finish its routine, it lasts 1.5 minutes and 30 seconds tops typically at first. The first 4 minutes is literally just stacking & alignment in AS!3. I typically will go faster than this, but wanted to slow down enough to try to talk through what I'm doing as I do it. Hopefully you can see each action on the screen. I may have made a few mistakes or said a few incorrect things or terms, forgive me for that, this is not my day job. I really hope it helps folk get more into processing as its not difficult or intimidating when you see a simple process with only a few things that are used. The key is good data to begin with and a good exposure value. Today's data came from a 100mm F10 achromatic refractor and an ASI290MM camera with an HA filter. I used FireCapture to acquire the data with a defocused flat frame. No gamma is used. I target anywhere from 65% to 72% histogram fill. That's it! The processing is fast and simple. I have a few presets that I use, but they are all defaults in Photoshop. A lot of the numbers I use for parameters are based on image scale, so keep that in mind, experiment with your own values. The only preset I use that is not a default is my coloring scheme. I color with levels in Photoshop, and my values are Red: 1.6, Green 0.8, Blue 0.2 (these are mid-point values).

The video (18 minutes):

https://youtu.be/RJvJEoVS0oU

RAW (.TIF) files available here to practice on (the same images you will see below as RAW TIFs):

https://drive.google...X6fH7CH2PhB-dzv

(Please let me know if any links do not work)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Results from today using this work flow method.

Colored:

49396160256_525d06f008_c.jpg

49396161366_a6fbdd6d9a_c.jpg

49396366262_216393f7fc_c.jpg

49395683593_6568bde3ef_c.jpg

B&W:

49396363742_49ff36281a_c.jpg

49396161976_98e587eb93_c.jpg

49395682288_5585a71316_c.jpg

49396166436_a9aa72ef36_c.jpg

SSM Seeing Metrics (it was around 1.5 arc-seconds for these images with lucky imaging):

SeeingConditions_afternoon_01162020.jpg

100mm F10 (masked Celestron Omni XLT 120 F8.3 Frac) scope

HA filter

ASI290MM camera

SSM (was not automated, just measuring seeing for fun)

ssm_100mmsolarscope_01162020.jpg

Very best,

Edited by MalVeauX, 16 January 2020 - 06:54 PM.

• BYoesle, TorstenEdelmann, johncandy and 12 others like this

#2 torsinadoc

torsinadoc

Apollo

• Loc: Fayetteville AR

Posted 16 January 2020 - 06:49 PM

Nice tutorial.thanks for sharing
  • MalVeauX likes this

#3 torsinadoc

torsinadoc

Apollo

• Loc: Fayetteville AR

Posted 16 January 2020 - 06:51 PM

I learned several new techniques in PS.  Cant wait to try it out

• MalVeauX likes this

#4 sunnyday

sunnyday

Skylab

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 16 January 2020 - 06:59 PM

I can't wait to see the photos this member takes.
always of extraordinary beauty.
one of my favorites for solar photos.
thank you for sharing these photos with us.

also thank for the video

• MalVeauX likes this

#5 wargrafix

wargrafix

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Trinidad

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:11 PM

*e-bonx*

NIceeeeeeeeee

• MalVeauX likes this

#6 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 16 January 2020 - 08:35 PM

Great tutorial Marty!

• MalVeauX likes this

#7 TorstenEdelmann

TorstenEdelmann

Viking 1

• Loc: Landsberg, Germany

Posted 17 January 2020 - 01:00 AM

Excellent !

• MalVeauX likes this

#8 tholan

tholan

Vostok 1

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:38 AM

Thanks Marty, I've been waiting for this.

Tom

• MalVeauX likes this

#9 PhotonJohn

PhotonJohn

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Viera Florida

Posted 17 January 2020 - 01:07 PM

WOW MARTY! THANKS A BAZILLION. INCREDIBLE!

• MalVeauX likes this

#10 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 17 January 2020 - 01:50 PM

I will add soon an acquisition video to show how I capture the data to allow single-shot processing easier. I use FireCapture for the flat. So I'll go through focus, exposure and histogram, gamma on/off, flat frame use, acquisition, to produce the above TIFs that can be processed rapidly this way for limb & surface from a single shot.

Very best,

• PhotonJohn and 44ye like this

#11 BeltofOrion

BeltofOrion

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Newfoundland, Canada

Posted 17 January 2020 - 04:32 PM

I haven't been using ImPPG for processing solar images. I had it, but hadn't started playing around with it until a few days ago. The second day the Tone Curve editor disappeared and I've tried everything to get it back. Apparently, I'm not the first person to have this problem either.  Marty ... or anyone reading this ... I wonder if you'd have a look at the posts here and tell me if you have any ideas. https://www.cloudyni...pg-version-060/

Edited by BeltofOrion, 17 January 2020 - 04:32 PM.

#12 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 17 January 2020 - 04:48 PM

I haven't been using ImPPG for processing solar images. I had it, but hadn't started playing around with it until a few days ago. The second day the Tone Curve editor disappeared and I've tried everything to get it back. Apparently, I'm not the first person to have this problem either.  Marty ... or anyone reading this ... I wonder if you'd have a look at the posts here and tell me if you have any ideas. https://www.cloudyni...pg-version-060/

Hrm, the little window with the histogram? You may have dragged it off screen? It defaults back to wherever you left it, so if its off screen it will stay off there. I'm not at my PC right now to test it, but I would see if you can disable the floating window and re-enable it to toggle it to default back with the primary window in the software?

Very best,

#13 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

Posted 18 January 2020 - 09:15 AM

So clicking on the curves icon (fourth icon from the left in the menu bar) doesn't bring back the Tone Curve?

IMPPG.jpg

#14 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 18 January 2020 - 09:40 AM

So clicking on the curves icon (fourth icon from the left in the menu bar) doesn't bring back the Tone Curve?

attachicon.gifIMPPG.jpg

Apparently it's an issue with specific Windows (v 10?) and it not handling window position appropriately. The source software author advised to delete or rename the .ini file in its hidden App directory under the user folder in AppData under Windows and it worked for the other people that were having this specific issue.

Very best,

#15 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

Posted 18 January 2020 - 10:29 AM

Another reason my laptop remains Windows 7!

• torsinadoc and MalVeauX like this

#16 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 18 January 2020 - 10:46 AM

Another reason my laptop remains Windows 7!

Same here, I have Win 7 on all my machines still. I refused to update until things don't work anymore. Most of the software was written under a different operating system, so it's a gamble trying to run it on something newer. Things move around in the windows environment as it is....

Very best,

#17 BeltofOrion

BeltofOrion

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 18 January 2020 - 11:33 AM

Apparently it's an issue with specific Windows (v 10?) and it not handling window position appropriately. The source software author advised to delete or rename the .ini file in its hidden App directory under the user folder in AppData under Windows and it worked for the other people that were having this specific issue.

Very best,

I'd like to try that, but the problem is, I can't find that file. One would think if all the ImPPG files are deleted and the newest version downloaded that everything would be ok. But it's not. Like any computer program there are pieces of it in places that just doing a simple delete of files does not get. It's too bad the program is not in the uninstall list. I'm figuring there's a piece in the registry somewhere. But that's something I'm not going to fool around with. 

I've  contacted the Great Attractor, but he hasn't responded.

Edited by BeltofOrion, 18 January 2020 - 11:40 AM.

• MalVeauX likes this

#18 BeltofOrion

BeltofOrion

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 18 January 2020 - 12:04 PM

Solved. Got it back. Finally. Thanks for your input Marty & Warren.

• torsinadoc and MalVeauX like this

#19 twjs

twjs

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NWNJ

Posted 18 January 2020 - 06:38 PM

Same here, I have Win 7 on all my machines still. I refused to update until things don't work anymore. Most of the software was written under a different operating system, so it's a gamble trying to run it on something newer. Things move around in the windows environment as it is....

Very best,

oh great...my new laptop is of course win 10.

• MalVeauX likes this

#20 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 18 January 2020 - 06:40 PM

oh great...my new laptop is of course win 10.

No worries, everything works in Win10. The latest release of IMPPG has a very minor bug as mentioned here, it's an awesome piece of software, free, and it now uses GPU acceleration. Well worth any small hiccups!

Very best,

#21 BeltofOrion

BeltofOrion

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:50 PM

I was just having a more detailed look at your tutorial, Marty. I was wondeing about the section that runs from about 5:28 to 6:28. Was the purpose of that section for you to just inspect the image for the detail it contained? Just before you say "Now what I'm going to do with this is I'm going to back off ... " I thought you might have been going to hit the Select And Process The Whole Image button. But you didn't. So I guess that was an inspection step? 

I just took one of my videos and went through the steps of the tutorial, by the way.  It's a great job you've done here again!

• MalVeauX likes this

#22 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:57 PM

I was just having a more detailed look at your tutorial, Marty. I was wondeing about the section that runs from about 5:28 to 6:28. Was the purpose of that section for you to just inspect the image for the detail it contained? Just before you say "Now what I'm going to do with this is I'm going to back off ... " I thought you might have been going to hit the Select And Process The Whole Image button. But you didn't. So I guess that was an inspection step? 

I just took one of my videos and went through the steps of the tutorial, by the way.  It's a great job you've done here again!

Yes! I don't need to see much other than surface spicules to know I'm in the ballpark. If I can see spicules, it's got enough contrast and sharp enough. This helps me figure my arbitrary values to keep them noticeable, but without over-sharpening. I do that at a high contrast with levels, but then expand levels again at the end to not lose faint prom detail on the limb. I used it to inspect general quality and basically how much blur to work with.

Very best,

• BeltofOrion likes this

#23 tholan

tholan

Vostok 1

Posted 20 January 2020 - 08:49 AM

Hey Marty,

Which mount do you use?

Thanks,

Tom

• MalVeauX likes this

#24 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 20 January 2020 - 11:56 AM

Hey Marty,

Which mount do you use?

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

It's a Sirius EQ-G / HEQ5 class mount, pier mounted with a steel pier extension. I have 29lbs of counter weights. It handles my C8 & 80mm Frac and my 150mm Frac and all the imaging gear and filters for solar system imaging nicely, at its capacity limits.

49403946502_c4e1ca9a1e_c.jpg

Very best,

#25 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 20 January 2020 - 01:30 PM

The 2nd tutorial is live!

This one covers focus, flat calibration, exposure.

https://www.cloudyni...-jan-20th-2020/

Very best,

• torsinadoc likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics