•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Advice on AP gear

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Golgie

Golgie

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: So Cal

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:33 PM

Currently want to get into ap,but just want to start off for right now with milkyway imaging.

The camera im thinking of getting is the canon T6i,is it any good or should i be looking at another one

As for the scope,people seem to recommend a 80mm apo to start.

Was thinking on this 

https://www.telescop...c/337/24281.uts

Or will a different 80mm refractor serve me better

Or get a larger one at 102mm or 120mm

Or maybe getting one of orions 6/8in astrographs

And getting a atlas EQ-G for them.

Also any other accessories i may need,besides a power supply.

Looking to spend about under $2500

I currently own a 12in dob(Apertura AD12) for visual,upgraded with a push to.

• zakry3323 likes this

#2 zakry3323

zakry3323

Apollo

• Loc: Pittsburgh

Posted 16 January 2020 - 08:10 PM

Currently want to get into ap,but just want to start off for right now with milkyway imaging.

The camera im thinking of getting is the canon T6i,is it any good or should i be looking at another one

Was thinking on this 

Everything looks good, nice job on the homework, especially in putting the majority of your budget into your mount. An Atlas will do ya just fine, and the lighter the ota the better. As for buying a DSLR....well there are some different schools of thought on it. If you're planning to use it for lots of other (terrestrial) photography endeavors than it will be a great way to also delve into astrophotography. I'd never steer anyone away from one, but if you're not planning to use it for other things, a dedicated astro-camera could provide some savings in the long run. 

#3 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Florida

Posted 16 January 2020 - 08:28 PM

Was thinking on this 

Heya,

Depends on scale.

Skywatcher StarAdventurer with Nikon D5300 and Rok 135mm F2 & 14mm F2.8 will do milky way.

Very best,

#4 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 16 January 2020 - 09:22 PM

Was thinking on this 

The Canon will be fine.   A Nikon D5300/5500/5600 would be better, but it's not a big deal.

These are the big deals.  The two major mistakes beginners make are too little mount and too much scope.  The package you listed, Sirius, ED80, is a great start.  The bargain.

Slightly better would be a faster scope, like the AT72EDII.  But since you don't get the package price, it costs more.  Close call.

The biggest deal of all.  The bigger scopes make learning AP harder, and it's hard enough already.  <smile>   This book will be a big help.

https://www.amazon.c...d/dp/0999470906

#5 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 16 January 2020 - 10:13 PM

Canon makes a fine camera. The T6i is a good option.

The 80ED is a fantastic scope. It gives a nice field of view and the image is so sharp that smaller objects scale well.

The 80ED will be perfectly happy on the Sirius as will scopes up to about an 8", larger than that and you're better off with an Atlas. That's the only thing on your list that I'd pause at. The Sirius is a fine mount that uses the same gears and motors as the Atlas, but in a lighter package, which can be a good thing. The Altas is a bit of a beast, but offers more room for growth. Still, the Sirius is lighter and easier to move around, not a bad choice.

Enjoy!
  • AhBok likes this

#6 Golgie

Golgie

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 January 2020 - 10:21 PM

Alright,ill decide on either one,any other thing i might need from the refractor/mount

#7 Golgie

Golgie

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 January 2020 - 06:11 PM

What would be the difference between the Orion 6in astrograph and the ed80

They have the same focal length but the refractor is at F7.5 vs F4 and the reflector has an extra 70mm of aperture.

Edited by Golgie, 22 January 2020 - 06:17 PM.

#8 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 23 January 2020 - 01:08 PM

Moving to B&II for a better fit.

Some answers:

The camera to buy today *for astrophotography* is the Nikon D5300 (or D5500/D5600). The reason is the low dark noise. The Canons (the T6i is a decent choice) are noisier. Note that you *only need the camera body* no matter what you buy.

The linked ED-80 scope on a Sirius mount is a very good budget choice for beginning astrophotography. Note that you will need a *field flattener* for the scope. I recommend the Hotech SCA 2".  You will also need a guiding solution, likely a 50mm guidescope (Orion sells it) + ASI120MM-mini guide camera (multiple vendors, google it). Also I would recommend the excellent Backyard EOS/Nikon software for $50 to control the camera. Another item would be a Bahtinov mask for precise focusing. The whole shebang should be well under $2,500.

Don't get a larger refractor. It is *not* an advantage (the opposite of visual). The larger refractor will have a reduced field of view, will be heavier and longer and therefore harder to track with. An 80mm refractor will be useful to you no matter how expert you become.

However, if money reaches, I could well recommend a different refractor, such as the AT80EDT. It is F/6 rather than F/7.5 which cuts down the time you have to image, makes tracking easier and expands the FOV at a small cost of image  scale, it has a better focuser and better rings. I would still recommend the same Sirius mount (or possibly the Atlas/EQ6R-Pro if you are young and strong--it's heavy).

Newtonians are much more of a pain. In addition to collimation you likely will need to replace focusers, and tracking will not be as good. 

#9 RJF-Astro

RJF-Astro

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Zeist, Netherlands

Posted 23 January 2020 - 03:59 PM

I agree with Bob on the AT72ED. The nice thing about this scope is that you can add a longer focal length scope once you get the hang of it. By then you can decide if you want to stay on the refractor path or try a reflector, or cassegrain. The reflector can add speed, while the cassegrain is good at small targets. Both have tradeoffs.

If you start with a medium focal length, such as the ED80, a refractor is about the only choice if you want to go wider.

But these are small choices, you already made the big ones.

#10 Golgie

Golgie

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 February 2020 - 10:56 AM

Ok,so i got the camera,now only need a tripod for it.is there a way to mount it on the sirius mount or should i just get a different one for it,now time to save up for the rest.

I bought the T6i from a friend that hardly used it.

Was experimenting with me holding it up,yea that didnt end well haha,my poor neck.

Maybe should of taped it to the dob instead lol

#11 fewayne

fewayne

Viking 1

• Loc: Madison, WI, USA

Posted 04 February 2020 - 11:12 AM

Your mount has a Vixen dovetail saddle, right? Look around for a dovetail bar that will suit you, then pick up a 1/4"-20 screw of the right length to bolt the camera's tripod socket to the bar. E.g. https://www.highpoin...tail-plate-vup4

Oh wait, you don't have the mount yet! Well, that's what you *will* want, of course if you get a scope too that's another thing.

Edited by fewayne, 04 February 2020 - 11:15 AM.

#12 Golgie

Golgie

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 February 2020 - 11:44 AM

Well i meant tripod/mount.

https://www.bhphotov...ft=BI:514&smp=y

Then some other tripod,or could just wait till i get the sirius/tripod

#13 nimitz69

nimitz69

Surveyor 1

• Loc: A barrier island 18 miles south of Cocoa Beach

Posted 04 February 2020 - 11:49 AM

Heya,

Depends on scale.

Skywatcher StarAdventurer with Nikon D5300 and Rok 135mm F2 & 14mm F2.8 will do milky way.

Very best,

THIS.    If you Want to do MW shots you need ultra wide and the ticket is a D5300 and Rok 14mm F2.8 lens on something like a SkyGuider Pro & tripod.  get the telescope when you’re ready to do DSOs and then you’ll also need a good EQ mount like the EQ6-R pro

and if you skies are dark enough you don’t even need a tracker.  Some spectacular MW shots are done with just the camera & wide lens ....

Edited by nimitz69, 04 February 2020 - 11:52 AM.

#14 Golgie

Golgie

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 February 2020 - 12:37 PM

THIS. If you Want to do MW shots you need ultra wide and the ticket is a D5300 and Rok 14mm F2.8 lens on something like a SkyGuider Pro & tripod. get the telescope when you’re ready to do DSOs and then you’ll also need a good EQ mount like the EQ6-R pro

and if you skies are dark enough you don’t even need a tracker. Some spectacular MW shots are done with just the camera & wide lens ....

ok,ill just experiment with the t6i for now,once i get some experience,if need be ill get the nikons mentioned.the lens i got was the 18mm-55mm ef-s,will this be good,or is the 14mm worth the purchase over this one,also is it compatible with the canon

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics