•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Want a Planet killer-suggest some

• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#176 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 18 February 2020 - 07:06 PM

In regards to size I believe 10" to be around the minimum but 12" - 16" is the sweet spot for most locations but this depends on your local seeing conditions of course.    

When it comes to design I have seen good images from these designs:

SCT and the variants (Edge etc)

Newtonian

DK

cassegrain

All designs have their quirks you just have to figure out what they are and how to overcome them to get the most out of your telescope.

I have to say the best telescope is the one you will use the most! 

Its worth mentioning the focal length of the telescope should be larger enough so the least amount of glass is used in the system. For example having the focal length large enough so you don't have to use a barlow! 

Attached is an image from a 11" edge telescope under under good conditions. Planet killers come in all shapes and sizes as long as you have the skills.  

Very nice image! 

• troyt likes this

#177 troyt

troyt

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 20 February 2020 - 05:10 AM

Very nice image! 

Thanks I posted it to show some mass produced telescope can be well suited for this type of observing/imaging.

#178 bunyon

bunyon

Aurora

• Loc: Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 20 February 2020 - 11:44 AM

A lot of interesting observations to digest. I guess I come down that seeing is, by far, the most important consideration in killing a planet.

So. Buy a telescope. Doesn't matter which one. 

Take it to the high Andes and set it up. Make sure a planet is going to be in the sky before making the trip. 

Seriously, a quality Newtonian that you know how to handle. If you're able to cool and collimate the Newt, it'll pay off. The details are fun to discuss on a cloudy night but under the sky, so many of today's scopes give a killer view that it mostly comes down to personal preference in setting the equipment up. 

For the OP, either of the first two Dobs listed will give excellent planetary views. I'm not sure I'd invest in another scope - especially a smaller scope if similarly difficult to set up and optimize - just for planets.

#179 a__l

a__l

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:34 PM

Seriously, a quality Newtonian that you know how to handle. If you're able to cool and collimate the Newt, it'll pay off. The details are fun to discuss on a cloudy night but under the sky, so many of today's scopes give a killer view that it mostly comes down to personal preference in setting the equipment up. 

This is not enough. See how the ground warmed up in a day, how long this heat will flow and how close the optics are to the ground.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics