•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

DSLR mounting

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mxpwr

mxpwr

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sweden

Posted 17 January 2020 - 05:53 AM

What's the best (cheap & sturdy) way to mount a DSLR with two points on a mount?
I've been looking at buying clamps or similar or even 3d print but I can't seem to find something that is flexibel enough in terms of mount points.
Specifically I'm trying to attach my DSLR with a canon 200mm on top of the SW st80, which itself is attached to an avx.

#2 rk2k2

rk2k2

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cool, CA

Posted 17 January 2020 - 10:32 AM

Depends on your lens.  Does the lens have space available for a scope ring?  Or does it have a mounting foot?  If so, the quickest/ cheapest route I know is lens attached to a dovetail and then a spacer between the camera body and dovetail.  This method does not allow you to rotate for framing.  To allow rotation, there are brackets that replace that fixed spacer that allow rotation.  They are essentially a 'ring' that support the camera body where the support rotates within the ring.  As I remember, they cost $100 - $200, which I why I ignored them and can't provide anything more specific.

#3 rk2k2

rk2k2

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cool, CA

Posted 17 January 2020 - 11:06 AM

One of my first iterations before I dumped the lens foot for dual scope rings.  For this one, the battery grip took the place of a spacer and in turn, a spacer was needed between the dovetail and foot.   Ignore that saddle, that piece was just to provide the additional 1/4" spacing needed (1/2" total).  Without the battery grip, the lens foot would attach directly to the dovetail and 1/2" spacer would be needed between camera body and dovetail.

P8110002web.jpg

Another mock up using 2 dissimilar size scope rings.  No  camera body support but allows rotation. For that, a longer dovetail needed with proper spacer or one of those $100 - $200 brackets that allow rotation.  But for you, I assume the 200mm does not have space for 2 rings, thus you would need something along the lines of the first method.  Of course, I'm certain there are OTHER solutions someone will provide.

P1170016.JPG

• mxpwr likes this

#4 mxpwr

mxpwr

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 January 2020 - 11:11 AM

Thanks, rk2k2. That was exactly what I was looking for.
I've tried several iterations but often ended up having to much flexing, especially when only mounting the camera or the lens.
It's also kind of tricky to get imperial screws around here, which doesn't make this easier.

#5 fishonkevin

fishonkevin

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 17 January 2020 - 11:42 AM

Here is a picture of my piggy-back rig.  I use a Canon 200mm L lens with the lens/collar so that it can be rotated for framing.

Piggy-back Set-up.jpg

#6 mxpwr

mxpwr

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 February 2020 - 09:18 AM

Solved it with standard, slotted metal part for construction.

Total cost, less than 10$ smile.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• dslr_holder1.jpg
  • dslr_holder2.jpg

• calypsob likes this

#7 fishonkevin

fishonkevin

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 February 2020 - 11:08 AM

Yup, you'd be surprised what we can fabricate from materials bought at Lowes/Menards/Home Depot or the local hardware store.  It looks very functional and adjustable.  Have you used it yet?  Also is that white ring a 3D printed fine focuser?

#8 mxpwr

mxpwr

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 February 2020 - 04:15 PM

Yup, you'd be surprised what we can fabricate from materials bought at Lowes/Menards/Home Depot or the local hardware store. It looks very functional and adjustable. Have you used it yet? Also is that white ring a 3D printed fine focuser?

Yes, I tried it. Super sturdy.
Only downside, I can't rotate the camera.
Yes, it's a 3d printed micro focuser, not the best design, but it helps a lot.

Edited by mxpwr, 08 February 2020 - 04:15 PM.

#9 fishonkevin

fishonkevin

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 February 2020 - 05:19 PM

That's funny that you can't rotate the camera.  Isn't there enough clearance?  As you can see in the pic I loaded I had no problem with rotation just using the lens support ring.  If you change lens support ring so it faces the other direction it might give you the clearance.  

#10 calypsob

calypsob

Aurora

Posted 08 February 2020 - 05:32 PM

Solved it with standard, slotted metal part for construction.

Total cost, less than 10$ smile.gif

interesting micro focuser, got a link? Id be worried about differential flexure with a single mounting point on the dslr

#11 fishonkevin

fishonkevin

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 February 2020 - 05:32 PM

Here's a close-up of my set-up.  You'll notice that it is mounted on a dove-tail, so that it can slide to help with balance.  no problem with flexure.

Attached Thumbnails

• Piggy-back rig2.jpg

#12 fishonkevin

fishonkevin

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 February 2020 - 05:39 PM

I'd be interested in that micro-focuser too for my Canon 200mm.

#13 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: USA

Posted 08 February 2020 - 06:45 PM

Alternative mounting scenario...; can also mount camera on top of the carrying handle shown. Regards

#14 mxpwr

mxpwr

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 February 2020 - 09:17 AM

I printed this one here:
https://www.thingive...m/thing:1219173

I had to scratch off some plastic where the switches for manual/auto focus and focus distance are.
Otherwise it would switch the lens to auto focus when sliding it on.
Also added some cloth inside so it has a better grip on the lens focuser.

Edited by mxpwr, 09 February 2020 - 09:18 AM.

#15 mxpwr

mxpwr

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 February 2020 - 09:19 AM

Alternative mounting scenario...; can also mount camera on top of the carrying handle shown. Regards

That looks nice, but the whole point of the exercise was not to spend so much on it.
Everything tends to get an order of magnitude more expensive when you add astro in front of it, just like with baby stuff.

Edited by mxpwr, 09 February 2020 - 09:19 AM.

• fishonkevin likes this

#16 fishonkevin

fishonkevin

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 February 2020 - 10:32 AM

Thanks for that link mxpwr.  I have a friend with a 3d printer.  I already sent him the link.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics