•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Seek info on these two eyepieces

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JESHEA

JESHEA

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Piedmont of North Carolina

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:35 AM

A decade ago a new company came on the scene. Burgess. I purchased the 2" SWA26MM. I know little about Burgess and perhaps someone could explain what happened to the company. I remember hearing they were pretty good quality compared to the price.

In addition is the 2 inch Meade sent me with the Lightbridge Plus 12". This also is a 26mm fully Multi-Coated. What is the quality compared to the Burgess? 

Thank you

#2 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 17 January 2020 - 01:52 PM

Burgess was always a small operation.  Then Tom Back (i.e., TMB) decided to team up with him and together they did the 80mm Planet Hunter scope which was an enhanced achromat having a little better color correction.  They together also marketed the TMB Planetary and Paragon eyepiece series.  That partnership had Burgess thriving and growing.  The sudden and  unfortunate death of Tom Back left a big gap for Burgess and since then they have not been very active in the market.  They still do a few things here and there and recently marketed a 10mm Ultramono eyepiece.  I understand that Bill Burgess' health is also on the decline so of course hard to run a small company with that.  Many had a love-hate relationship with the company for a variety of reasons.  In its heyday with Tom I enjoyed several of their products and never had any issues, and yes at very good prices compared to the rest of the market.  Would have been nice if they could have kept up their momentum.  I've not heard in a while but certainly hope Bill's health is doing better.

Edited by BillP, 17 January 2020 - 01:53 PM.

#3 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 January 2020 - 02:07 PM

I would guess these are optically the same eyepiece made in the same factory under different labels. The TMB planetary, at least the original version, was unique to them, but mostly they sell rebranded stuff out of China like the other major brands.

Scott

#4 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 17 January 2020 - 02:48 PM

I would guess these are optically the same eyepiece made in the same factory under different labels. The TMB planetary, at least the original version, was unique to them, but mostly they sell rebranded stuff out of China like the other major brands.

Not sure as it was a rather strange affair.  So unsure if there is just one OEM as to my knowledge it was never patented in China so likely many may have reverse-engineered it.  But more importantly, with the originals the eyepieces produced were QCed to some degree by Tom.  Without that ongoing QC of the designer any production line can begin to drift.  So doubt very much that the ones produced today under all their various brandings are as precise as the original ones branded as Burgess/TMB as those were the only ones produced under his guiding eye.  But based on what others have written it seems like not what I experienced from the originals.

#5 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 17 January 2020 - 07:48 PM

They look like re-brands to me.

Antares along with UO (later on) did the same.

• SeattleScott likes this

#6 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 January 2020 - 07:54 PM

Orion Q70 and Agena also come to mind, Meade QX70, etc.

Scott

Edited by SeattleScott, 17 January 2020 - 09:44 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics