•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I have the itch again!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Carolinaskys

Carolinaskys

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 January 2020 - 10:26 AM

Bought myself a 6se for my birthday. Flipped the coin between the price of the 4se and the power of the 8se and settled on the 6se. Just testing the waters to see if I'll fall back in love with astronomy. My first scoop was an old used 60mm from a flea market when I was about 8 years old. Then a Tasco luminova the following Christmas. Used that until I was out of highschool and bought myself a 8inch zhumell. Then adulthood struck and I had to sell it. but now that I'm older and have a better job if I enjoy it as much as I did when I was younger I'll start piecing together a better setup. So cheer's from rural NORTH CAROLINA!
  • desertstars, ArizonaScott, BoldAxis1967 and 7 others like this

#2 Stellar1

Stellar1

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 17 January 2020 - 10:43 AM

Hey when you have the itch, scratch it! i'm betting you'll be on here asking about your second and third scope soon, upgrading, astrophotography, its ok, it happens to all of us.

welcome back.

#3 RyanSem

RyanSem

Viking 1

• Loc: Lancaster, PA

Posted 17 January 2020 - 10:57 AM

Welcome back!! You're going to love that scope, that's the one I recommend to most people!

#4 jerahian

jerahian

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 17 January 2020 - 10:57 AM

Bought myself a 6se for my birthday. Flipped the coin between the price of the 4se and the power of the 8se and settled on the 6se. Just testing the waters to see if I'll fall back in love with astronomy. My first scoop was an old used 60mm from a flea market when I was about 8 years old. Then a Tasco luminova the following Christmas. Used that until I was out of highschool and bought myself a 8inch zhumell. Then adulthood struck and I had to sell it. but now that I'm older and have a better job if I enjoy it as much as I did when I was younger I'll start piecing together a better setup. So cheer's from rural NORTH CAROLINA!

Welcome to CN, and to the age when we can afford the stuff we want :)  Glad you made it back!

#5 Oyster74

Oyster74

Lift Off

• Loc: EAST TX

Posted 17 January 2020 - 11:02 AM

Can't go wrong with that scope. Enjoy!

#6 Ericco79

Ericco79

Viking 1

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 17 January 2020 - 11:03 AM

Greetings from a fellow North Carolina star gazer here. I'm in Charlotte so the light pollution is terrible, but I love to find dark spots around the state. The 6se scope is a GREAT scope!

Eric

#7 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 17 January 2020 - 11:08 AM

So cheer's from rural NORTH CAROLINA!

Greetings from southern Arizona! Looking forward to a "first light" report. cool.gif

#8 JoshUrban

JoshUrban

Vostok 1

• Loc: Indian Head, MD

Posted 17 January 2020 - 11:30 AM

Congrats, and welcome back!!  Keep us posted!

#9 astro_1

astro_1

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: USA, Omaha, Nebraska

Posted 17 January 2020 - 12:07 PM

I have the 6SE as well. imo a good starter scope. One that is just portable enough to use. I use it for outreach a lot, especially when I don't feel like lugging my 10" goto Dob.

Welcome back to astronomy.  A lot is going on and the equipment that is available to us amateurs is mind boggling.

#10 Mark Strollo

Mark Strollo

Explorer 1

• Loc: Waterford, CT

Posted 17 January 2020 - 12:07 PM

Find your local club and go observing with them.  Fun camaraderie and keeps the views from getting old.

#11 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 18 January 2020 - 02:08 PM

And get a f/6.3 focal reducer for extended objects and star fields.  https://agenaastro.c...cers-guide.html

There are SCT f/6.3 FRs in Celestron, Meade and Antares brands. Now all Chinese and probably made at the same place. So go with price. they'll all fit your C6. The "Meade" seems to have the best price currently. Telescope Net has one for $70, less shipping, tax, etc.

I imagine that the C6 with a f/6.3 FR will give you about the same flat field image as your Zhumell. 

#12 sojourneyer

sojourneyer

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 January 2020 - 09:54 PM

I am sure you will have a great time with that scope.
Happy viewing

#13 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 January 2020 - 12:08 AM

And get a f/6.3 focal reducer for extended objects and star fields. https://agenaastro.c...cers-guide.html

There are SCT f/6.3 FRs in Celestron, Meade and Antares brands. Now all Chinese and probably made at the same place. So go with price. they'll all fit your C6. The "Meade" seems to have the best price currently. Telescope Net has one for $70, less shipping, tax, etc.

I imagine that the C6 with a f/6.3 FR will give you about the same flat field image as your Zhumell.

There is some variation reported, such as I believe the Meade has a little stronger reduction factor than the Antares. But I haven’t heard that one is clearly superior to the others, although Celestron seems to have a good following.

Scott

#14 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Florida

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:48 AM

150mm on a tracking GoTo in a rural sky with higher elevation is a great start!

Very best,

#15 banjaxed

banjaxed

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: NW England

Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:20 AM

Welcome back, can you ever really leave this hobby? confused1.gif

• sojourneyer likes this

#16 Carolinaskys

Carolinaskys

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2020 - 01:02 PM

Just waiting on the weather to cooperate with me. But in the mean time I ordered the 156wh power tank, few shield, and Nexyz phone adapter and zoom eyepiece. So far it's been fun terrestrial viewing with it, while the clouds hinder my stargazing.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics