•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky-Watcher AZ-EQ6R Pro incoming....!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Oscar Szentirmai

Oscar Szentirmai

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: London - UK

Posted 17 January 2020 - 12:59 PM

Evening everyone

I have ordered a SW AZ-EQ6R Pro mount, due to be delivered tomorrow. It's my first GEM, and my only experience so far has been with the Nexstar 8SE. Its the newer model with the USB port on the head of the mount.

It will be paired with a Sky-Watcher ED80mm Apo, with the aim of AP, but that will be a much latter project. Current aim is to be comforatble with the GEM and how to operate it.

I'm a bit anxious about what to expect, and I know there will be a steep learning curve.

Was hoping if you could provide some practical tips on setup, alignment etc.

Also, I'm not a fan of the cigarette lighter power adaptor that comes with the scope.

Can you please advise a tried AC-DC wall power adaptor, and also an External power battery strong enough to power the mount?

I do not fancy the HUGE Celestron or Skywatcher power tanks.

Many thanks

• hnau and 25585 like this

#2 hnau

hnau

Vostok 1

• Loc: AZ

Posted 17 January 2020 - 01:06 PM

Excellent mount and pairing.  Many fun nights ahead!

• Oscar Szentirmai likes this

#3 OhmEye

OhmEye

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Western NY Southern Tier

Posted 17 January 2020 - 01:22 PM

Congrats! I'm unsure which mount you are getting, is it the AZ-EQ6 Pro or the EQ6-R Pro?

#4 Oscar Szentirmai

Oscar Szentirmai

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 January 2020 - 02:13 PM

Congrats! I'm unsure which mount you are getting, is it the AZ-EQ6 Pro or the EQ6-R Pro?

The AZ-EQ6 Pro..

Sky-Watcher USA advised me it's still not available for sale in the US.

I need to find a power source for the thing. Are the "female cigarette to AC outlet adapter "options on Amazon safe?

I hate that it ships with a cigarette adapter power option? Who has a car in their house??!!

And I do not fancy buying that huge Celestron Power tank

#5 terrypaula

terrypaula

Vostok 1

Posted 17 January 2020 - 03:30 PM

Great mount you picked a good one, I have its little brother and have run an ES 102ed on it for 2 yrs without an issue.  You will love using it in AZ mode it will hold a lot of weight. And don't be afraid o try AP in AZ mode.  One shot cameras are a wonderful invention.  The Atik Infinity Color I have seems to be a natural for even just viewing in AZ mode.

You will need to be a little fussy setting up your polar scope while matching the RA axis but once you have it all you need to do is check it now and then.

As far as powering it I use nothing but DC on all my stuff.  I have had over-voltage problems and supply problems with the AC/DC adapters, sometimes when failing they take my more delicate equipment with it.  I have been using a car battery booster to run all the 12 volt attachments I need.  Most even have USB power hook ups too.

I would purchase the appropriate cable for the mount so you can use you computer and favorite navigational suite be it KStars, Stellarium, etc...

Are you planning on using it as a portable unit or do you have an observatory you plan on using?  I do think it is a great idea, a hybrid mount.

#6 Oscar Szentirmai

Oscar Szentirmai

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 January 2020 - 04:05 PM

Great mount you picked a good one, I have its little brother and have run an ES 102ed on it for 2 yrs without an issue.  You will love using it in AZ mode it will hold a lot of weight. And don't be afraid o try AP in AZ mode.  One shot cameras are a wonderful invention.  The Atik Infinity Color I have seems to be a natural for even just viewing in AZ mode.

You will need to be a little fussy setting up your polar scope while matching the RA axis but once you have it all you need to do is check it now and then.

As far as powering it I use nothing but DC on all my stuff.  I have had over-voltage problems and supply problems with the AC/DC adapters, sometimes when failing they take my more delicate equipment with it.  I have been using a car battery booster to run all the 12 volt attachments I need.  Most even have USB power hook ups too.

I would purchase the appropriate cable for the mount so you can use you computer and favorite navigational suite be it KStars, Stellarium, etc...

Are you planning on using it as a portable unit or do you have an observatory you plan on using?  I do think it is a great idea, a hybrid mount.

Thanks for that. 

yes, I ultimately chose this mount due to its double identity, as I haven’t got into AP yet, and have just got into viewing with my 8SE. So I still have LOADS to learn about the sky before I even dare venture into AP. 

The mount will allow me to continue enjoying Az-alt functionality while slowly get my hands dirty with GEM. 

I also ordered a skywatcher 80mm ED Pro APO, so slowly working my way to AP. 

It will be a mobile setup. No observatory on the horizon. I live in LONDON!!!

Our homes here are shoeboxes..!!

Is there a particular power source you advise? I would like to avoid those UGLY Celestron and skywatcher power tanks. 

thanks

Edited by Oscar Szentirmai, 17 January 2020 - 04:07 PM.

#7 Oscar Szentirmai

Oscar Szentirmai

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 January 2020 - 04:08 PM

I think in the USA it’s currently sold under the ORION brand as the Atlas AZ-EQ Pro 

#8 Tom3

Tom3

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 17 January 2020 - 05:58 PM

Evening everyone

I have ordered a SW AZ-EQ6R Pro mount, due to be delivered tomorrow. It's my first GEM, and my only experience so far has been with the Nexstar 8SE. Its the newer model with the USB port on the head of the mount.

Can you please advise a tried AC-DC wall power adaptor, and also an External power battery strong enough to power the mount?

I do not fancy the HUGE Celestron or Skywatcher power tanks.

Many thanks

Amazon has a great variety of AC to 12VDC converters available.  Choose the one that best connects to your equipment.

Tom

#9 Oscar Szentirmai

Oscar Szentirmai

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 January 2020 - 06:14 PM

Amazon has a great variety of AC to 12VDC converters available.  Choose the one that best connects to your equipment.

Tom

I am checking right now.

I have been advised to get a LINEAR POWER SUPPLY 13.8V?

I'm a bit confused with the 13.8V thing? Isn't the mount 12V?

Also, is it ok to get a 10watt supply, rather than a 5watt? My understanding is the mount is rated at 5amps, and I can not cause damage by a higher rated power supply, and the Mount will draw what it needs?

#10 Biggen

Biggen

Ranger 4

• Loc: PCB, FL

Posted 17 January 2020 - 06:34 PM

I am checking right now.

I have been advised to get a LINEAR POWER SUPPLY 13.8V?

I'm a bit confused with the 13.8V thing? Isn't the mount 12V?

Also, is it ok to get a 10watt supply, rather than a 5watt? My understanding is the mount is rated at 5amps, and I can not cause damage by a higher rated power supply, and the Mount will draw what it needs?

13.8VDC is what comes out of cars, right?

What voltage range does the manual say?

#11 luxo II

luxo II

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 17 January 2020 - 06:39 PM

Oscar,

I have the SW AZEQ6 Pro, a few answers:

1. Power Requirements: A 10W power supply won't do at all, not even close. Watts = volts x amps, so that means its output is less than 1A, hopelessly inadequate. I quote from the manual, section 4.4:

"Output Voltage: DC 11V (minimum) to DC 16V (maximum). Voltage not in this range might cause permanent damage to the motor controller or the hand controller.

• Output Current: 4A for power supply with 11V output voltage, 2.5A for power supply with 16V output voltage.
• Do not use an un-regulated AC-to-DC adapter. When choosing an AC adapter, it is recom- mended to use a switching power supply with 15V output voltage and at least 3A output current.
• If the power voltage is too low, the motor controller will stop the motors automatically."

2. Current drawn 

Most of the time the mount draws less than 1A tracking. But when slewing the peak current drawn is 4A (50 watts) so most of the small AC adapters simply are hopelessly underrated - including one that ships with some of these mounts. If the supply cannot provide 4A at 12VDC, the motors stall, making a high-pitched squealing sound.

The nominal voltage is 12V but in reality (from the manual) the mount accepts 11VDC..16VDC.

3. Powering your mount from the car is not recommended:

- the cable supplied with the mount is too far short in practice, and will have to be lengthened;

- used for any length of time on a cold night, you may find your car battery has been depleted to the point the car wont start, so you're stranded;

- if there is a short circuit, bear in mind there will be a fuse inline with the socket somewhere in the car wiring and it will blow. 

- the cable poses a trip hazard, quite likely to break something if you do trip on it in the dark, or fall over.

- one core of the wiring is positive - if that ever breaks and touches the car body you have just formed a dead short circuit to the car battery.

if you have a modern car built in the last 5 years it almost certainly has some peculiarities, courtesy of the designers. My Mazda6 for example, when parked with ignition off, about 1 minute later it disables the power to the aux socket in the boot, the cigarette lighter socket in the front, and the USB ports - to protect the battery from being discharged by devices left in the car and forgotten (eg overnight). So no good for a scope.

4. Wiring for an SLA battery

The battery I use is a small 12V SLA, rated for 12Amp-hours commonly used for motorcycles or camping,  nominal output 13.8VDC when fully charged, which is ideal. This is fine for a night, and weighs about 5kg. Note also that as batteries discharge the output voltage drops.

In my case the battery sits in a small wooden case under the tripod, along with red LED torch, a set of hex keys and other odds and ends that could be needed at the scope.

On the battery I made up a cable with crimp-lugs connecting to the battery, with a female car-cigarette socket at the other end so the plug as supplied with the mount fits this, perfectly.

For charging the battery, you will need a small battery charger (the battery supplier should be able to provide one) and I put a male plug on this matching the one on the mount, this means it plugs into the same pigtail and socket, so there is no risk of reversing the polarity when connecting the charger to the battery.

5. Fancy rigs

In a more complicated rig I would strongly suggest you have an inline 10A fuse to protect the battery in the event you short-circuit the wires anywhere; SLA batteries do not take kindly to that and can produce a huge current (welding the wires) and shortly afterwards the battery can explode, which is very hazardous (think hot concentrated acid spraying everywhere).

If you want to use a dew heater (requires maybe 1-2A), CMOS camera with cooling (another 4-5A) I would use a second small SLA battery to power these independent of the scope. 

Some put all this together in a box with neat plugs and sockets for all the gear to connect to (including a charger), fuses , ammeter and voltmeter so you can check all is well at a glance.

Edited by luxo II, 17 January 2020 - 07:04 PM.

#12 Biggen

Biggen

Ranger 4

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:03 PM

So basically this with the appropriate plug to interface with the mount.

#13 terrypaula

terrypaula

Vostok 1

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:42 PM

Sorry I didn't realize your a Brit.  I live in the US so our power requirements are a bit different.  Truthfully, I do hve a vehicle that's made for remote astronomy with AC and DC at my disposal.  I used the truck for an entire evening and didn't have any problems with power but not everyone has anything like I do. Even with the special vehicle I still run the engine for a while to keep things charged.

If the truck isn't available for me I'll use my two ar battery boosters  the output being 13.8 volt.  Make sure you use the lighter plugs.  I can run my AVX AP setup on the 2 fully charged battery boosters all night.

Never ever use a straight AC converter always get a switching adapter if you must use AC  power.  The better you buy the better your system performance.  Almost every problem I've run into during an AP session has been power related.

The mounrt you purchased is just now been made available here in the US.  Until lately we've had to buy Orion to get into one of these.  The Orion version IS virtually the same thing.  My AZ-EQ5 runs just fine on my car battery boosters.  Most of the time the mount uses 1 - 4amps with 1 amp being what the draw is on my mount when guiding.  The power required slewing is totally different.

Another thing I  feel a little stupid for is I believe your polar scope is on your mounts RA (inside).  Just be attentive to setting your polar scope up.

#14 Oscar Szentirmai

Oscar Szentirmai

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 January 2020 - 03:30 AM

So basically this with the appropriate plug to interface with the mount.

I’ve ordered this rated at 5A:

https://www.amazon.c...ob_b_prod_image

and this rated at 10A:

Reason I ordered above two is that they also arrive today 

I also ordered this, but it arrives in 2-3 days. I think I will rely on this more:

https://www.amazon.c...IPC6UYE0C&psc=1

I just want to use either one of the first two to turn on the mount and check it when it arrives later today. Is there any risk of damage?

many thanks

#15 Biggen

Biggen

Ranger 4

Posted 18 January 2020 - 08:24 AM

I’ve ordered this rated at 5A:

and this rated at 10A:

Reason I ordered above two is that they also arrive today 

I also ordered this, but it arrives in 2-3 days. I think I will rely on this more:

https://www.amazon.c...IPC6UYE0C&psc=1

I just want to use either one of the first two to turn on the mount and check it when it arrives later today. Is there any risk of damage?

many thanks

As long as you are giving it the correct voltage AND the power supply can provide the correct amperage, then everything is good.

#16 Oscar Szentirmai

Oscar Szentirmai

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 January 2020 - 07:21 PM

So, I unpacked the 3 boxes tonight...

The mount, tripod & Evostar 80mm ED.

Pretty pleased overall...the mount is HEAVY!!

Set it up in my office, as wanted to learn how it works, and weather is terrible.

A few observations from a newbie with experience of using just a Celestron Nexstar 8SE.

1- the Syncscan HC and menus feels like using Linux or an old version of windows, as opposed to using a Mac in the case of the Celestron. Rough around the edges, unpolished, but I think for the savvy, its more technical.

2- The mount is EXTREMELY QUIET when slewing, but I wanted to ask members if its normal to make a funny noise at the star and end of the slewing? It kind of does a strange clicking noise at the start and end of the slew, and buttery smooth and quiet inbetween? This only happens at speeds 6-9.

3- HELP! This will be complicated figuring it out.....grin.gif

4- I have some reservations about the quality of the APO, it is listed on SW USA & UK website as FPL-53 for objective and Schott glass for the crown. The product images online, and in the online stores show a graphic of "SCHOTT GLASS INSIDE" on the OTA. Yet the one I received does not show that, and the lens is completely bare, with no writing on it, and 2 blotches of glue? Also, its listed as Crayford focuser, which I felt is very rough. Maybe because still new? Also, 2" diagonal is listed as 99% dielectric, yet there is nothing written on the diagonal. Looks cheap?

5- Should I upgrade the firmware of the HC, or I am good to go with this version?

Other than that, VERY EXCITED to try out in the field. The weather her in blightly it TERRIBLE!!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG-2476s.jpg
  • IMG-2469s.jpg
  • IMG-2463s.jpg
  • Untitled.jpg

#17 luxo II

luxo II

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 18 January 2020 - 09:10 PM

Oscar don’t obsess about this. It’s all good.

The “blotches of glue” are optical wax to stop the retaining ring unscrewing, yet can be broken if it is ever necessary to remove the lens. A bit like nail polish.

Edited by luxo II, 18 January 2020 - 09:20 PM.

#18 Oscar Szentirmai

Oscar Szentirmai

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 January 2020 - 10:10 PM

Oscar don’t obsess about this. It’s all good.

The “blotches of glue” are optical wax to stop the retaining ring unscrewing, yet can be broken if it is ever necessary to remove the lens. A bit like nail polish.

Thanks...just a little bit panicking...grin.gif

What about the noise?

I have checked on you tube, and it seems the slewing sounds I heard are similar to what I hear...

At the very start and end of the slewing, there is an unpleasant noise. The videos I checked sound the same, so in all probability its normal? Is it the gears/belts getting engaged/disengaged?

Thanks

https://youtu.be/OLWOiVV4VkM

#19 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 18 January 2020 - 10:43 PM

Everyone, let's just keep the discussion to the mount in this Forum. Thanks.

#20 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 20 January 2020 - 04:09 PM

Selection of power packs here https://www.firstlig...powerpacks.html

#21 laedco58

laedco58

Vostok 1

• Loc: Sandstone Minnesota

Posted 22 January 2020 - 01:24 PM

Nice mount. I’ve had mine since December. I’m visual only so have been using it Alt/Az.

#22 Oscar Szentirmai

Oscar Szentirmai

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 January 2020 - 07:19 AM

Nice mount. I’ve had mine since December. I’m visual only so have been using it Alt/Az.

Me too!!

Haven't had the chance to try it in EQ mode yet. Still learning my way around the mount, mainly using it in manual mode. The weather in London is hopeless.

BTW, is version Firmware 04.39.04 ok, or should I upgrade that?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics