•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is guiding necessary with a Celestron RASA 11"..?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Delta608

Delta608

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tampa Bay Florida

Posted 17 January 2020 - 01:57 PM

Curios if a RASA needs guiding with all the accoutrements or is just plain fast enough...?  The 11" is now a grand cheaper so just wondering to give up my FSQ106 for that always equipment catch-up, if you know what I mean...

#2 sharkmelley

sharkmelley

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: UK

Posted 17 January 2020 - 02:12 PM

It depends on the accuracy of your mount and your tolerance for elongated stars.

Mark

• DSOs4Me likes this

#3 Delta608

Delta608

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 January 2020 - 04:14 PM

I have Losmandy G11....I am running out of room for my guide scope, leaving only an OAG..I was about to purchase he ZWOASI290MM, but may delay that.......Hmmmmmm

#4 Allaboutastro

Allaboutastro

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Grapevine, TX

Posted 17 January 2020 - 04:49 PM

Depends on pixel size and mount performance.  I've never guided mine, but I don't use it that much (with the Nikon D810A) and I'm really not that picky when I do...it's more of a novelty or a toy for me right now.  If I were to get serious with it, as with something like a big ZWO/QHY chip, I'd either make sure it's on my low PE observatory mount or with an autoguider...and I'd also be more fussy about proper camera spacing.   

#5 Allaboutastro

Allaboutastro

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 17 January 2020 - 04:50 PM

I have Losmandy G11....I am running out of room for my guide scope, leaving only an OAG..I was about to purchase he ZWOASI290MM, but may delay that.......Hmmmmmm

There's no reason a well corrected and aligned G11 couldn't do unguided images for 45 to 60 seconds with the RASA 11.  

• Delta608 likes this

#6 freestar8n

freestar8n

Vendor - MetaGuide

• Vendors

Posted 17 January 2020 - 04:59 PM

You may be fine not guiding but I would still dither. And dithering may have much more control when guiding vs blind - unless you have a high end mount that has no backlash in dec.

Frank
  • Delta608, Allaboutastro, Celestialoptics and 1 other like this

#7 Delta608

Delta608

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:01 PM

Thanks fellas....I think I'll wait till this GAS passes then decide...

• Celestialoptics likes this

#8 Allaboutastro

Allaboutastro

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:17 PM

You may be fine not guiding but I would still dither. And dithering may have much more control when guiding vs blind - unless you have a high end mount that has no backlash in dec.

Frank

This is a great point.  The times when I've used the RASA unguided, I always bumped the mount with the handpad very slightly between exposures...or at least between occasional exposures. 

• Delta608 and Celestialoptics like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics