•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Long drive with EdgeHD11”

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 WSMIKE

WSMIKE

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 January 2020 - 04:14 PM

Hi,
I’ll be driving close to 4000 miles in the next two months. I’m looking for advice on which way I should store edgeHD 11” in truck.
Primary mirror face forward, backward, down, up, to side. It will actually be in the camper/truck. It’s a lot miles and I want to minimize the jarring on the mechanisms.

Cheers
Mike

#2 Bataleon

Bataleon

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 17 January 2020 - 05:02 PM

Hi,
I’ll be driving close to 4000 miles in the next two months. I’m looking for advice on which way I should store edgeHD 11” in truck.
Primary mirror face forward, backward, down, up, to side. It will actually be in the camper/truck. It’s a lot miles and I want to minimize the jarring on the mechanisms.

Cheers
Mike

For traveling with mine, I generally just remove all peripheral accessories, cap the corrector and visual back and wrap it in a few fleece throws and wedge it between pillows. If you're worried about it rolling around, maybe do this but inside a box or something.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

#3 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Viking 1

• Loc: Tooele, Ut

Posted 17 January 2020 - 05:08 PM

Hi,

Cheers
Mike

I ships from the factory on its side. 

Chris

#4 Astro-Master

Astro-Master

Viking 1

• Loc: San Diego County,Ca.

Posted 17 January 2020 - 05:28 PM

Move the focus knob so the mirror is all the way back.  If there is a way to lock the mirror in place with a screw or a knob, use it.  A cardboard box lined with memory foam or gel foam will smooth out the bumps, and place the box on the floor with the back of the mirror up against the front of the camper.  That way if you have to stop quick it should be fine.

• Old Man and Stevegeo like this

#5 dr.who

dr.who

Hubble

• Administrators

Posted 17 January 2020 - 07:10 PM

Lock the mirror and leave it on its side not face up or down. Use the foam from the original shipping box if possible.

#6 WSMIKE

WSMIKE

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 January 2020 - 07:12 PM

Great
Thanks everyone
Chris I bought it used, no box, so that’s why I didn’t have an example.
Bataleon and Astro-Master on my 8” Mak I wrap loosely in a couple yoga mats. I’ll definitely pack this. I really like the suggestion to place the mirror back forward.
Wish me luck
Cheers
Mike

#7 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 17 January 2020 - 07:26 PM

I'd find a box or plastic tub  a little larger than the OTA and place sponge/foam on the bottom sides to prevent movement during the trip.

#8 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose

Posted 17 January 2020 - 07:29 PM

If you still have the shipping box, use that and lock the mirror down.

I picked my scope and mount up from the large dealer in SoCal and drove it to San Jose in the back of my Cayenne. No issues whatsoever.

#9 WSMIKE

WSMIKE

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 January 2020 - 07:46 PM

Wrapped in foam with a stiffer foam to nestle moonlite. I’ll put the moonlite toward front

Attached Thumbnails

• D38AFBB6-DE5E-4974-AAB8-4F582AE76BD3.jpeg

• Cfreerksen likes this

#10 dr.who

dr.who

Hubble

• Administrators

Posted 18 January 2020 - 06:28 AM

Just make sure it is on its side. There have been reports of grease dripping on mirrors where the scope is vertical vs. horizontal. 

#11 WadeH237

WadeH237

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 18 January 2020 - 07:23 AM

I routinely take my SCTs out to dark sky sites, and most of my observing sites involve a few miles on nasty washboard roads that shake everything thoroughly.

The SCTs ride on their sides.  The C14 is in a JMI case.  I don't have a case for my EdgeHD 8.  When I take the motorhome, it rides on the bed, wedged between pillows  When I take the camper, it rides seat belted in the back seat, covered with a blanket to prevent it from direct sunlight.  On the C14, I have the mirror all the way back and locked down with the factory shipping screws.  The EdgeHD 8 does not have the shipping screws, and its mirror is much, much smaller and lighter than the C14, so I don't do anything special with it.  It travels with the mirror at the right focus for imaging.

I've done it this way for 20 years with various SCTs, and have never had a problem.

Edited by WadeH237, 18 January 2020 - 07:24 AM.

#12 WSMIKE

WSMIKE

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 January 2020 - 02:37 PM

I just checked, there are companies that sell seat belt extenders, which answers the question that is in my mind how to take advantage of seat belts with odd shape containers riding in the back seat.
Thanks Wade for seatbelt suggestion

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics