•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Eq6r pro guidance and balancing issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BarneyWillis

BarneyWillis

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 January 2020 - 05:30 PM

Hi guys

Still relatively new to AP and hitting a brick wall in getting guidance to work on my eq6r pro. Really hoping you guys might be willing to help me out.

I balance the mount well enough I think - it doesn't fall on either axis when i release the clutches and they feel equally heavy to turn on both axis and in either direction on both ra and dec. Polar alignment is done accurately and the guide scope is focused. When I start 1 second or 2 second exposures  to  find a guide star, it finds one with fwhm around 2 or 3.

But as you can see from the attached image though, guidance aint working :( I have tried with the scope pointed at different parts of the sky and same problem. There is nothing snagged cable wise and the mount is set to track.

Honestly i am running out of ideas here - could the mount be faulty? I have read that the axes can be stiff? Really grateful for any ideas :)

Barney. 

#2 BarneyWillis

BarneyWillis

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 January 2020 - 05:35 PM

Photo attached.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_20200117-221625_ASIAIR.jpg

#3 D_talley

D_talley

Gemini

• Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 17 January 2020 - 05:47 PM

Not enough info for us. 

How is the guide scope connected to the computer?

Are you using ASCOM pulse guide? 

What guide software?

Did you do a calibration before you started guiding? 

#4 BarneyWillis

BarneyWillis

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 January 2020 - 05:51 PM

Not enough info for us. 

How is the guide scope connected to the computer?

Are you using ASCOM pulse guide? 

What guide software?

Did you do a calibration before you started guiding? 

I use an asiair so guide scope connected via usb. The mount is also connected directly into the asiair using the EQMod setting. The guide software is therefore the Asiair installed software.

The asiair calibrated previously as it has an automatic routine for doing this. While i wait I am going to redo it in case it makes any difference.

#5 BarneyWillis

BarneyWillis

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 January 2020 - 06:07 PM

I recalibrated and now am getting better results (I am appropriately embarrassed I didnt think to recalibrate...)

Any tips on getting it down below 1.00 error? I am using an esprit 100 with a zwo1600mm so the whole thing should be well within carrying capacity.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200117_230358.jpg

#6 Peregrinatum

Peregrinatum

Viking 1

• Loc: South Central Valley, Ca

Posted 17 January 2020 - 11:18 PM

I recalibrated and now am getting better results (I am appropriately embarrassed I didnt think to recalibrate...)

Any tips on getting it down below 1.00 error? I am using an esprit 100 with a zwo1600mm so the whole thing should be well within carrying capacity.

Thanks in advance.

Create a PEC file for the mount, there is a great thread here on CN on how to do this.

#7 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 18 January 2020 - 12:40 AM

The most likely problem is that you have your minimum move set incorrectly as I don't see many small RA corrections, just a few big ones. You should change the display, so that it's just 2 arc seconds plus/minus so you can see what's actually going on. It will never hurt to do a PEC. Keep the guiding cadence to from 2-5 seconds and reduce the DEC aggression. I am not familiar with the ASI air so that's really the best I can do.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics