•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Losmandy G11 Flip and latitude display?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Resurgance

Resurgance

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Nelson, New Zealand

Posted 17 January 2020 - 05:59 PM

Hi there, Just wondering if the more experienced G11 users can let me know if I should be concerned about the HC displaying +ve latitude in the Southern Hemi?

I have the site locked at -ve, and its guiding good, but the HC main display with the speeds displays +ve value.

Reason I am asking is that I've had epic problems with the southern hemi thing, most of which were fixed with the latest FW upgrade.

Last night had a miserable time with windows updates and just glitches with all of my software despite it being fine last session.  Not fair I say.

I tried a meridian flip after windows ruined my east heavy imaging time, and all hell broke loose, the mount drove past the limits, the mount would'nt track at all, the computer and the HC were saying different things via ASCOM woah real write off really.  Hence the niggle in my mind about the wrong hemi latitude display.

Any advice about setting up meridian flip would be handy, but I think I'll just try and avoid it unless I clearly mark CW positions on the shaft maybe.  It imaging superbly East heavy, but I have nothing but troubles in opposite position.

Thanks

#2 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Soyuz

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 17 January 2020 - 06:03 PM

Have you also posted here?

https://groups.io/g/...dy_users/topics

#3 Resurgance

Resurgance

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Nelson, New Zealand

Posted 17 January 2020 - 06:10 PM

Hi Jim, No I'll do that thanks for the heads up

#4 SonnyE

SonnyE

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 17 January 2020 - 06:53 PM

I'm not a Losmandy owner... yet.

But I am on the site Jim points out, the Losmandy Users Group. I signed on to get some pertenant info while my funds are recharging. (The CFO is aware I'm going to pull the plug in February)

Sounds like things went bonkers alright.

I don't know much about your end of the world, other than your toilets spin the other way, and you walk around upside down, and Polar Aligning is an entirely different ballgame. poke.gif

Meridian flips for me always have required I shut down and restart PHD2 to get fresh tracking. Probably my fault, or so I think anyway, but it has been a fix I've just added to my mount running. So I tend to avoid the nuisance of flipping. After February I might be more enthusiastic though.

From what I've gathered, maybe you need to build a model for the post flip? I'm trying to grasp the Losmandy lingo about Models and such. I like simpler things. But I'm not below PC, by any means.

But I'd bet finding some answers might be easier where more G-11 heads prevail. And I'm all ears about any quirks before I jump in, although I'm pretty much cast in stone to get a GM811G HD from the factory. (I live close)

I'll be watchin to see what crops up about your experience.

I think it will iron out.

#5 tross

tross

Explorer 1

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:18 PM

Late last year, I was having problems with my G-11 doing strange things, like following some commands but not others.

After doing some reading on the Losmandy and Gemini groups , and talking with Scott Losmandy, it all pointed to the battery in the Gemini II board.

I took a reading of the battery and it showed around 1v !!!!.

Since the battery and battery holder were the older version, I purchased a newer style holder and battery ,as suggested on the Groups and had the latest version soft ware installed.

Not saying this is your problem , but this inexpensive fix did solve mine

Carl

• SonnyE likes this

#6 don314

don314

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 January 2020 - 03:15 PM

I had the same issue with the G11 mount doing strange things.  After some research, I replaced the battery in the Gemini II, and everything worked just fine.  I now have a label on the Gemini II reminding me to replace the battery next year, and I carry a new battery in my spare parts bag .

• SonnyE likes this

#7 SonnyE

SonnyE

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 18 January 2020 - 04:54 PM

I'm learning. I am learning.

Battery replacement.

Gemini II Battery replacement.

Losmandy Youtube site.

Edited by SonnyE, 18 January 2020 - 04:57 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics