•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Fujinon 16x70 on parallelogram mount

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rguasto

rguasto

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:23 PM

Finally got the Orion monster parallelogram mount for my (x-mas) Fujinon 16x70 binoculars. They're ultra stable on this mount weighing only 5#. Motions are very smooth. Probably won't get to use it for a few more days due to temps in the 20's with 30mph wind gusts.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200117_193426-1014x1466.jpg

• mooreorless, John Gauvreau, ianatcn and 5 others like this

#2 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 17 January 2020 - 10:02 PM

That's a good way to begin the year; congrats.  16x70s on a p-gram make a great setup. 

It appears you're set up to stand while viewing; the p-gram allows you to position yourself underneath the binos more comfortably for high angle views than a tripod/head would.  There's still that neck thing, though.  For maximum neck comfort, consider trying the p-gram set low (probably without the riser) while you sit reclined in a zero gravity chair.  I use my 16x70s and Unimount either way depending on circumstances but comfortably reclined is my favorite.   sleepy.gif

BTW, that CW rod end extending out past the CW looks like it needs attention; somebody's going to smack into that in the dark!    Eyecrazy.gif  

Enjoy your new binos and mount.

Rich

• ShaulaB and ppbb like this

#3 ppbb

ppbb

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 January 2020 - 09:41 AM

Very nice setup. I've got APM ED APO 20x70 and this mount, although without the extension. Is it useful? I considered buying it.

And of course I didn't have a chance to test the mount because _this site_.

#4 rguasto

rguasto

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 18 January 2020 - 11:34 AM

Got the tripod extension for use with a group. It will accomodate persons well over 6' tall. I'll be removing it for personal use.

-Rob

#5 kmparsons

kmparsons

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 21 January 2020 - 04:36 PM

I love using the Orion Monster Mount with my TS 20 X 80s and my new APM 16 X 70s. I don't have the extension because for me one of the pleasures of using this set-up is being able to sit down! Clear and cool winter nights here in SE Texas are the best for binocular viewing. Often the temperature will be in the low fifties or upper forties, which I consider just about perfect. In the summer, with the heat index still in the nineties at 10:00 P.M. and the mosquitoes attacking in mass formations, your dedication is truly tested. I can hand-hold the 16 X 70s for brief periods, and with the Pleiades and the Hyades directly overhead, lying back in my lounger and looking straight up provides wonderful views, though not, of course, as steady as with the mount. The Fujinons and the Monster Mount should give you much pleasure for many years to come. 

• rguasto likes this

#6 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 21 January 2020 - 05:04 PM

Though you have to take a few minutes to set up, straight binos on a p-gram can be really enjoyable. 

I've been using one 16x70 or another on this UA Unimount setup for nearly 20 years now.  Haven't tired of it yet.   wink.gif    I like the "sky's in your face" experience of this laid back arrangement.  No neck or back pain right up to zenith.  My trusty  LaFuma chair is years old and still hanging in there, too, but I finally had to replace the bungee cords a few years ago. 

Rich

Attached Thumbnails

• rsz_20190420_165308_unimount.jpg

• rguasto likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics