•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astronomyforum.net no longer being moderated?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 17 January 2020 - 09:30 PM

I went there today and saw a bunch of posts about X-dressing. It has been ravaged by bots. I have heard that the site is no longer being moderated. You might want to make sure that any minors in your household are not visiting it.

#2 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 17 January 2020 - 09:56 PM

...went there just then & checked some of the forums out Clay- didn't see anything out of the ordinary like the x-dressing bigshock.gifyou mentioned or other unusual postings or activity.

#3 jeremiah2229

jeremiah2229

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Illinois, USA N 37° W 89°

Posted 17 January 2020 - 10:19 PM

Seems they have switched to another site:  link

Peace...

• Piet Le Roux likes this

#4 kathyastro

kathyastro

Apollo

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 22 January 2020 - 04:37 PM

As of this week, the moderators have given up even trying to keep the forum tidy.  The spams are coming in literally too fast for a human to keep up.  (The majority are in the Off Topic forum, if you really want to see them.)  We expect the domain registration to expire at the end of this month.  Mercifully, that should be the end.  It has been frustrating and quite sad, to say the least.

#5 spereira

spereira

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 22 January 2020 - 07:22 PM

I just tried to go there and my browser said it couldn’t find the server.

Is it actually gone now?

Sad story, indeed.

smp

#6 kathyastro

kathyastro

Apollo

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 22 January 2020 - 07:37 PM

I just tried to go there and my browser said it couldn’t find the server.

Is it actually gone now?

Sad story, indeed.

smp

As of this moment, it is still up and running.  Ironic, as it always used to crash on database errors.  Now, when a crash would be a good thing, it keeps on going like the @#$% Energizer Bunny!

• Steve Cox and AaronF like this

#7 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 27 January 2020 - 01:46 PM

Cloudy Nights expends much effort at preventing this.  We try to catch the spammers proactively, during the registration process.  We don't catch them all, but I wager we do shoot-down over 99% of them before they can even post.

• MikeMiller, ascii and BradFran like this

#8 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 27 January 2020 - 06:19 PM

As of this moment, it is still up and running.  Ironic, as it always used to crash on database errors.  Now, when a crash would be a good thing, it keeps on going like the @#$% Energizer Bunny!

The constant crashing, along with inadvertent lockouts due to database crashes, is why I gave up on AstronomyForums; too bad it won't crash now.

#9 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 27 January 2020 - 06:26 PM

My original link is still working fine, just went there & logged on & the couple of sections I've used in the past seem quite ok with recent postings on topics...all this has me a bit confused...are these claims that it is wrecked really just spam..?!? :lol:

#10 spereira

spereira

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 28 January 2020 - 07:59 AM

My original link is still working fine, just went there & logged on & the couple of sections I've used in the past seem quite ok with recent postings on topics...all this has me a bit confused...are these claims that it is wrecked really just spam..?!? lol.gif

The SPAM seems to be dominating the Off-Topic Forum there.  I have no idea why.

smp

#11 nva

nva

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 January 2020 - 07:19 AM

They could just lock registration, clear the spam and add a captcha. Mothballing the website is just insane unless this just coincidentally is because whoever owns it has just stopped paying for it. Their software is also out of date.

Edited by nva, 29 January 2020 - 07:30 AM.

#12 spereira

spereira

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 29 January 2020 - 07:59 AM

They could just lock registration, clear the spam and add a captcha. Mothballing the website is just insane unless this just coincidentally is because whoever owns it has just stopped paying for it. Their software is also out of date.

No, that's not the case there.  The owner of the site is the sole Admin, and retains all the permissions for site configuration and operation.  The owner has been absent since November 2018.  The Moderators there do not have permission to do any more than Moderator duties, and they finally lost the battle against the SPAMbot onslaught.  Since the owner is the only one who could do the things that you suggest, and the owner is absent, the site is drifting as it is.  Very sad story, but that's the way it is.

smp

#13 nva

nva

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 January 2020 - 08:32 AM

I mean usually a host or registrar does something for non-payment of services so the owner is not completely absent, seems bizarre, I was always annoyed that that site made you sign up to see things anyway.
  • Steve Cox likes this

#14 spereira

spereira

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 29 January 2020 - 11:31 AM

I mean usually a host or registrar does something for non-payment of services so the owner is not completely absent, seems bizarre, I was always annoyed that that site made you sign up to see things anyway.

The story is that 30 January 2020 is the date the registration will end.  If that's true, and if there is no automatic renewal (or even a manual renewal from the absent owner), then the site should come to an end.  We'll see.

smp

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics