•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade C.A.T. Manual

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bbqediguana

bbqediguana

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 17 January 2020 - 10:40 PM

Just in case anyone is interested, Lars on the Meade-LX5-LX6 email list sent me some photos that his friend did of the Meade C.A.T. (Computer Aided Telescope) accessory for Meade LX6 and Premier telescopes. I did my best to make a PDF out of it - it's legible but obviously a flat bed scan would be better. But as far as I know, there's no copy of this "out there" on the Interwebs, so now we have one!

https://deepskies.co.../CAT_Manual.pdf

Hopefully this helps someone out at some point.

Cheers! And thanks Lars!

Rick

• GalaxyPiper and Piet Le Roux like this

#2 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Vostok 1

• Loc: Bloemfontein, South Africa

Posted 18 January 2020 - 01:37 AM

Thanks for the information ! I have not paid much attention to the CAT unit, mine has a button that is not working but even if I repair it how do I solve the Y2K problem? I have a Smart drive manual if you are interested.  

• bbqediguana likes this

#3 bbqediguana

bbqediguana

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 18 January 2020 - 06:29 AM

Thanks for the information ! I have not paid much attention to the CAT unit, mine has a button that is not working but even if I repair it how do I solve the Y2K problem? I have a Smart drive manual if you are interested.  

The Y2K problem is only a problem if the CAT gets itself stuck on the wrong year. I'm not sure what the developers would have decided - that 80 means 1980? If so, the CAT might work right up until 2079! :)

Thank you for the offer on the manual - I think I already have that one. You can see all the old Meade manuals I have at:

https://deepskies.co...ry.aspx#manuals

Thanks!

Rick

• Piet Le Roux likes this

#4 GalaxyPiper

GalaxyPiper

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sacramento, Ca.

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:58 PM

I also want to thank you for this information. I had asked many people on here to help me out and one is suppose to get back to me, so i'll have to tell him that I received the info.

This is very good news, now I can explore this item a little more closely.

Thanks to you!

Bryan

Added 02-06-2020: By the way, there are ways to "De-skew" the Acrobat document and to get rid of "artifacts" with the Acrobat software, but these actions can't be done with a free reader.

Also, the Y2K problem can be easily solved by 'back dating' the device to a year prior to 2000 that has the same date and sky view. Calendars repeat their calendar dates roughly every 6-11 years, but depending on the "Leap" years it can vary every 28 years.

This is how the Y2K problem was immediately solved prior to 2000 before the roll over and to give engineers and software developers a way to solve the problem by swapping out components that could handle a four digit year function.

To do this easily, you can open any sky globe software and back date the view until it matches the same view you have now.

To give you a start, today date 02-06-2020 would match up to 02-60-1992...28 years ago...because it is a leap year.

Verify on your personal Planetarium software, these older Y2K (last millennium) devices can still be useful.

And because the north polar procession is only 1 degree every 76 years, or the span of an average human life, it should remain pretty accurate within your normal life span as well!

https://www.timeandd....html?year=2021

https://www.timeandd....html?year=2020

The only real problem with this is planet location. This would and cannot find planets ever again until a different Eprom is burned and the Y2K could be projected beyond that date.

No changing of the date can fix that.

Clear eye's and open skies (or is that the other way around.). belushi.gif

Edited by GalaxyPiper, 06 February 2020 - 05:55 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics