•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Canon 10x32 IS versus Nikon Monarch 5

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Ziguy

Ziguy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 January 2020 - 10:48 PM

Hello there, Anyone know how the new Canon 10x32 IS would compare to my 8x42 Nikon Monarch 5 in term of image sharpness and CA? I really hope I won't need to get the more expensive 10x42 L. Thanks!!!

#2 ihf

ihf

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 18 January 2020 - 12:29 AM

Could you state why you are interested in the Canon? Would you like to complement the Nikon or replace it? Would you like to use it during the day or at night? Is it too difficult to hand hold the Nikon? Or would you like to have greater hand holdable magnification? The Nikon is lighter and collects more light. It has ED glass while the Canon does not. The Canon has a sightly larger AFOV. The canon eyecups are not for everyone. They are ... different. Have you considered the Canon 12x32 IS or 15x50?

#3 paulsky

paulsky

Apollo

• -----

Posted 18 January 2020 - 05:43 AM

Hello,

I hace  the 12x36 and I am really wow!! For day purposes it is fant├ístic!!

Paul.

#4 Ziguy

Ziguy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 January 2020 - 10:07 AM

Could you state why you are interested in the Canon? Would you like to complement the Nikon or replace it? Would you like to use it during the day or at night? Is it too difficult to hand hold the Nikon? Or would you like to have greater hand holdable magnification? The Nikon is lighter and collects more light. It has ED glass while the Canon does not. The Canon has a sightly larger AFOV. The canon eyecups are not for everyone. They are ... different. Have you considered the Canon 12x32 IS or 15x50?

I use my Nikon for casual daytime observing at home, when doing camping or at the beach. For those cases, I would like more magnification but otherwise they are perfect (ergonomic, size, weight, image quality). I also use them to have a peek at the stars once in a while. I really like to pan the sky and look at all the pinpoint stars. However, my session never last long because I get tired of my hand shake. That why I want IS. For night time observing, I like the current FOV and I probably don't want to loose too much. However, I really don't want something less sharp or with obvious CA. I really like to see all those pinpoint stars. :-)

So they will probably complement my Nikon for daytime uses and replace them for night time uses.

But my big concern is about the optic quality of the Canon compared to my Nikon. How the 10x42 L optic would compare to my Nikon?

Edited by Ziguy, 18 January 2020 - 10:08 AM.

#5 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 January 2020 - 10:40 AM

Big difference in price between the two, D

#6 Ziguy

Ziguy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 January 2020 - 03:15 PM

I might go with the 15x50. From my understanding they have ED glass so optic quality will be more similar to my Nikon.

#7 SMark

SMark

Skylab

• Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 20 January 2020 - 03:50 PM

I might go with the 15x50. From my understanding they have ED glass so optic quality will be more similar to my Nikon.

Only the 10x42L IS has ED glass. None of the other models do.

• Sarkikos likes this

#8 Ziguy

Ziguy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 January 2020 - 04:35 PM

Only the 10x42L IS has ED glass. None of the other models do.

According to Canon web site, it seems the 10x42L has 2 Ultra-low Dispersion (UD) elements on each side while the 15x50 only has one per side.

Anyway, I did order them and can't wait to look through them. :-)

Edited by Ziguy, 20 January 2020 - 06:36 PM.

• Sarkikos and SMark like this

#9 SMark

SMark

Skylab

• Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 20 January 2020 - 06:49 PM

According to Canon web site, it seems the 10x42L has 2 Ultra-low Dispersion (UD) elements on each side while the 15x50 only has one per side.

Anyway, I did order them and can't wait to look through them. :-)

I have the 12x32 IS, 10x42L IS, and 15x50 IS. I like all three, but tend to use the 15x50 IS the most. I find it to be an exceptional astronomy binocular. 15x is a real sweet spot for many astronomical targets.

• Ziguy, hallelujah, Pinac and 1 other like this

#10 ihf

ihf

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 January 2020 - 02:57 AM

I think you will like how the 15x50 complements your 8x42! To get the most out of it make sure to lean against a wall or tree, or brace your ellbows on a table or your knees. Also consider getting a bino bandit, 2 black Eneloop batteries and 58mm lens caps. If you need a case the Seahorse SE-300 is a good fit.

• Ziguy likes this

#11 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 21 January 2020 - 08:25 AM

A nice zero-gravity chair goes very well with IS binoculars.

Clear skies, Alan

• hallelujah and Sarkikos like this

#12 Ziguy

Ziguy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 January 2020 - 07:46 PM

I could try my Canon 15x50 and image stabilisation technology is really amazing. You can see so much more details!!!

• ihf likes this

#13 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:14 PM

I have the 12x32 IS, 10x42L IS, and 15x50 IS. I like all three, but tend to use the 15x50 IS the most. I find it to be an exceptional astronomy binocular. 15x is a real sweet spot for many astronomical targets.

I have the Canon 10x42, 15x50 and 18x50 IS.  The 10x42 have become my default binoculars.  The image is sharper, flatter and brighter.  Both the 15x50 and 18x50 show a little astigmatism.  The 10x42 have none.  Also, the 10x42 has a wider AFOV and wider TFOV.  If I had to give them up, the 18x50 would go first, the 10x42 last.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 24 January 2020 - 12:19 PM.

• SMark likes this

#14 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:16 PM

I think you will like how the 15x50 complements your 8x42! To get the most out of it make sure to lean against a wall or tree, or brace your ellbows on a table or your knees. Also consider getting a bino bandit, 2 black Eneloop batteries and 58mm lens caps. If you need a case the Seahorse SE-300 is a good fit.

Sitting down is best, even for IS binoculars.  I take out a foldable camping stool with me. 

Well, actually lying down is best.  But a camping stool is lighter and more compact than any chair you can lie in.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 24 January 2020 - 12:22 PM.

• hallelujah and ihf like this

#15 ihf

ihf

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:37 PM

Sitting down is best, even for IS binoculars.  I take out a foldable camping stool with me. 

Well, actually lying down is best.  But a camping stool is lighter and more compact than any chair you can lie in.

Mike

I agree on the camping chair. I have sturdy camping chairs that lean back a bit (not the cheap once with straight back). These are very comfortable and easy to transport. I later got a sturdy zero gravity chair on general consensus. It is nicer for sure and I would use it around the house if I could. But it takes so much space (probably like 4 camping chairs), that I hardly ever take it with me on trips. A sleeping pad can work nicely too.

• Sarkikos likes this

#16 Ziguy

Ziguy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 January 2020 - 11:42 AM

I agree on the camping chair. I have sturdy camping chairs that lean back a bit (not the cheap once with straight back). These are very comfortable and easy to transport. I later got a sturdy zero gravity chair on general consensus. It is nicer for sure and I would use it around the house if I could. But it takes so much space (probably like 4 camping chairs), that I hardly ever take it with me on trips. A sleeping pad can work nicely too.

Is the lean adjustable? If so, we probably have the same. :-)

Off topic question... Does you bino click when you activate/deactivate the stabilisation? 

#17 ihf

ihf

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 January 2020 - 02:04 PM

They definetely click/clack when swtiching on/off. That is normal. Remember to cycle it off/on after acquiring the target to relax the mechanism. It helps steadying the view.

As for my prefered camping chair, it is a now out of production "Coleman Max Ultimate Comfort Sling Chair". The closest replacement would be the "Kijaro Dual Lock Portable Camping and Sports Chair". Notice how the backrest starts from the front foot, not the back, allowing to lean back a lot. I like that the arm rests are not hard - somehow a hard arm rests sound good only in theory, but may be uncomfortable. One drawback of both is the mesh back: Best to put a blanket over the chair in winter to stay warm.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics