•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help. Something broke

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 vnc1218

vnc1218

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 January 2020 - 02:34 AM

Hi.  I just bought a skywatcher eq6-r pro from another cn user and was getting ready to test it today.  But when I was setting the declination dial, the little locking screw broke while still inside.  Please help.  Tell me I can still use this mount.  How would I go about fixing this.  Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• 3AA8D67C-5D94-449B-80FD-81F20744FD9C.jpeg
  • CB526B7C-346C-4B82-9AD3-64A25BDB7AF8.jpeg

#2 msl615

msl615

Viking 1

• Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska

Posted 18 January 2020 - 02:55 AM

OK.,...this is going to be tough.  You will need to use a very small screw extractor, which is like a small reverse thread screw that has threads that look like a wood screw. You screw it backwards into the brass section that is left in the Dec band, it reverse threads into the brass and unscrews the broken off brass piece. 

Look up "how to use screw extractor" on the web, and you can see videos and instructions on how to use it. 

Out of interest, is the Dec setting circle locked tight with the broken piece, or is it loose and can turn about the axis?

Mike

#3 GalaxyPiper

GalaxyPiper

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sacramento, Ca.

Posted 18 January 2020 - 02:59 AM

AaaaaRRRRRgggGGG.......@#$#%$$....

That's going to have to be drilled out....carefully...

That is not normal. Looks like it was over tightened and then just put back in.

Screw Allen's don't normally do that.

#4 vnc1218

vnc1218

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 January 2020 - 03:04 AM

It’s locked tight.  Think I can use it withou the dial.  I’m still very new to this so I’m kinda unsure...

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#5 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 18 January 2020 - 03:29 AM

It’s locked tight.  Think I can use it withou the dial.  I’m still very new to this so I’m kinda unsure...

It's a GOTO mount.. What do you need the setting circles for?

I doubt anyone actually uses them.

Jon

• Greyhaven, elwaine, happylimpet and 3 others like this

#6 andycknight

andycknight

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 18 January 2020 - 03:47 AM

Last time this happened to me was on a camera lens. It was a tiny M1.6 screw frown.gif

I used a small flat blade jewellers screwdriver (like a little chisel) and very gently tapped a slot.

The gentle tapping also helped to loosen the screw in the thread. It was then a simple case of carefully unscrewing the remnants of the screw thread.

Regards

Andy.

• airbleeder and GalaxyPiper like this

#7 happylimpet

happylimpet

Skylab

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 18 January 2020 - 04:59 AM

Jon

Exactly. Dont give it another thought.

• Jon Isaacs and elwaine like this

#8 GalaxyPiper

GalaxyPiper

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sacramento, Ca.

Posted 18 January 2020 - 03:39 PM

If you are a detail man like me, that is going to bug you to no end, and just ignoring it won't do.

Yes, it won't affect the mount in any way, but if you are like me, you like to keep things tidy and also historically accurate, even though you have the technology and never have to use it again.

It's a wound, just like having a scratch on your new car, it is a scratch on your soul.

Take your time, and worry the rest of the thread out so you can replace it, and make yourself and your new purchase whole again.

Then you will have one of those stories you can tell around the campfire (not really) at the next star party...

Edited by GalaxyPiper, 18 January 2020 - 03:41 PM.

• John O'Hara likes this

#9 Andynator

Andynator

Explorer 1

• Loc: West Central Ohio, USA

Posted 18 January 2020 - 04:01 PM

Is the broken end ragged enough that you can use a small screwdriver to push against it and very slowly (and tediously) turn it out?

We use a lot of digital indicators with extension shafts, and they're always getting dropped and the threaded tip snaps off in the shaft. I can usually turn it out with a tiny screwdriver, or a pair of tweezers.

#10 kevint1

kevint1

Viking 1

• Loc: West Michigan

Posted 18 January 2020 - 04:30 PM

If it was my mount and it only affects the use of the setting circle, as was mentioned above, I’d leave it alone for the time being and concentrate on getting the mount up and running. Once you’ve played around with the mount and are happy with it, you can take your time and remove and replace the screw.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#11 AhBok

AhBok

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 18 January 2020 - 05:29 PM

I have an EQ6R Pro and if this happened to me, I’d:

1. Not lose one moment to worry. The mount is completely functional. Setting circles for this mount are ornamental.
2. Probably use a screw extractor after drilling a tiny hole in the middle.
3. If successful, celebrate the victory with a cup of coffee.
4. If unsuccessful, console myself with a cup of coffee.
5. Did I mention not to worry?
  • Jon Isaacs, beanerds and happylimpet like this

#12 vnc1218

vnc1218

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 January 2020 - 06:43 PM

Thanks for the advice.  I remember when my dad had a non-GOTO mount, and he used it all the time (while little me stared on).  I'll probably just let it be, but I always did want to do it like he used too.  Probably take the route ya'll suggested, and try to get it out later.  Don't think I'll lose too much sleep, other than that lost while panic posting this at 1 am.  Thanks for the help! 

Edited by vnc1218, 18 January 2020 - 06:44 PM.

• Jon Isaacs and airbleeder like this

#13 SonnyE

SonnyE

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 19 January 2020 - 01:20 PM

After you get to using it, you will realize it is like chrome trim on a car.

Pretty, but plays little in the function of the car.

Ignore it.

Edited by SonnyE, 19 January 2020 - 01:21 PM.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#14 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 January 2020 - 01:30 PM

Looks like a brass grub screw to me? probably brass so not to mar whatever it locks onto,the usual hardened steel ones rarely break ,usually if over tightened the allan key hexagon rounds out before breaking, A small centre punch carefully used with a small hammer may be enough to move this, using the punch on the out side edge of the broken part and tapping in a anti clockwise direction, other options are to drill and use a screw extractor if you can find one small enough? or drill it out and re tap the threads to clean them up or to the next size up,, D.

#15 GoFish

GoFish

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Kentucky / Colorado

Posted 19 January 2020 - 01:45 PM

For 3 months, use the mount and do NOTHING about the little screw. Then reevaluate. I’m confident you’ll decide to leave as-is. 

The only time I’ve ever used the dec scale was for setting the dec reference mark for home position.  And it would have been only very slightly more difficult if not able to turn the dial. 

#16 Wire

Wire

Mariner 2

• Loc: Dundalk, MD

Posted 20 January 2020 - 07:18 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. I don't use my setting circles. It's a goto mount. In fact I don't know anyone who uses setting circles. Set the mount up, get it working and have some fun. 

#17 SonnyE

SonnyE

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 20 January 2020 - 07:45 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. I don't use my setting circles. It's a goto mount. In fact I don't know anyone who uses setting circles. Set the mount up, get it working and have some fun. 

My previous employer got everybody a cell phone.

I was curious about using the GPS to get around to the different stations, so I was browsing the manual (huge!).

I page 167 was the blabber about the GPS. It was turned off to the employees, but the bosses could bring it up in a program to see where their assets were.

A lot of the guys refused to carry or turn on their phones. And they got talked to about that.

Me, I didn't care. I was disappointed, but what the heck.

I told the guys under me, "It lets them see where their assets are. And right here is where my assets..."

I'll give you a minute to think about that. wink.gif

I only use those zoomie gitchi things as a very rough reference. They aren't worth much in outer space.

But they can show if your mount is moving, like tracking.

If anybody really wants to drill out a broken screw, you can get left handed drills that will usually back the stub out after it gnaws on it a bit. Run your drill in reverse.

Edited by SonnyE, 20 January 2020 - 07:52 PM.

• Wire likes this

#18 kyle528

kyle528

Viking 1

• Loc: SE Ohio

Posted 22 January 2020 - 12:21 PM

It won’t have any effect on the mount. But to give a better answer to your question than “forget about it”, you can try an extractor, but about half the time you end up needing an extractor extractor (they like to break). Center punch the center of the screw, and drill it out very close to the root diameter of the thread, and then you’ll be able to dig it out with a pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 23 January 2020 - 10:28 AM

Jon

I use them to ensure that my dovetail is at a 90° angle to the mount ant that the mount is perpendicular to the Earth when I'm parked/ in home position.

#20 Beeham

Beeham

Explorer 1

• Loc: Oakland County, Michigan

Posted 23 January 2020 - 11:27 AM

I feel for you...this would drive me crazy.  You didn't mention how big the screw is, but i'm guessing maybe 3mm or so?

Adding to what others have already contributed:

- Roll up sleeves and adopt "defusing atomic warhead" stance over the workbench.  You're about to perform mechanical surgery.

- Apply tiny drop of Kroil, PB Blaster, or similar penetrating oil; I would use a hypodermic needle to do this if one is available to avoid making a mess.

- Let is soak.  Use your jedi powers to will the oil molecules into the threads.  Time is your friend here.

- Using a very sharp hardened punch and a small hammer, try to put a dimple in the center of the busted screw.  Not too deep, just enough to keep a drill bit from wandering.  Use an optical center punch if you can borrow one from a machinist friend/helper.

- Using a tiny *left handed* drill bit in a hand-cranked "eggbeater" style drill, carefully and slowly start to bore through the center of the busted screw.  A tiny dab of oil on the drill bit will help.  Don't crank too hard; if you break off the drill bit things will be worse.

- Insert an EZ-out of appropriate size and gently remove screw remnants.

- Drop screw remnants dramatically onto a steel surgical tray, wipe brow, breath sigh of relief.

Alternatively...ignore it and let it go.  

Cheers!

• Agatha likes this

#21 Agatha

Agatha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 23 January 2020 - 01:48 PM

Granted, you may never need the setting circle.  If  it were me, that broken bit would drive me crazy.  I would get it out of there.  I've dealt with many similar broken screws when working in a bicycle shop with part time high school kids who seemed to love giving some small thing just an extra crank or two.  Oops!   lol.gif

Precision and patience is the key for  successful extraction.  

Or you could paint it green and pretend it doesn't exist.  grin.gif

ps:  I'm not implying that you did anything wrong for that screw to break.  flowerred.gif   Sometimes it is just what happens.  

Edited by Agatha, 23 January 2020 - 02:13 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics