•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sketch of Messier 42

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DDEV

DDEV

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Posted 18 January 2020 - 07:06 AM

Dear All,

This report is from last night's 'meet-up' session at the Great Sugar Loaf Mountain, Co Wicklow, Ireland. These meet up sessions take place once a month, and provide us with a great opportunity to observe the night sky from a dark site. For example, the 'Clear Outside' website estimate  the sky quality to be 20.73.

With Orion looking magnificent perched high in the sky, I attempted to sketch M42. This is my first attempt to sketch this DSO, and it was my first time trying to include nebulosity in a sketch. Along with M43, the trapezium was easily observed at 133X. The Great Orion Nebula was clearly visible through the eyepiece, but I found it difficult to see more of the finer 'wispy' elements of it - I'm sure that will come with experience. That being said, there was strong contrast between the 'c'-shaped curve of the nebula and the dark night sky. Using averted vision, I could detect some mottling around the trapezium too. Interestingly, I believe I may have detected some colour in two of the trapezium stars (see sketch) - could this be right though? I spent 20 minutes sketching the object, and approximately 10 minutes at home using GIMP 2.0 to invert, and to crop the image. Further details can be found below:

Object: M42
Date: 17/01/2019
Time: 21:40 UT
Seeing: 6pk
Transparency 4
Instrument used: f/8 150mm Newtonian Reflector
Eyepiece: Orion 9mm Expanse
AFOV: 66 degrees
TFOV: 0.495

Materials used: 2B, 2H graphite pencils, and a blending stump. The image was sketched at the eyepiece and inverted using GIMP 2.0

In addition to observing M42, we observed a nice double-star in Canis Major, M35, M36, M37, M38, and M45. We had fun with an eyepiece 'shoot-out' later in the evening. While my entry-level 32mm Plossl provided very nice views of M45, a fellow observer demonstrated the value of using a higher-end eyepiece. HisTelevue eyepiece provided far better contrast that made each objects listed above really stand out.

All in all, last night's 'meet-up' was very enjoyable, albeit very cold! Consequently, we finished up just before midnight. 

Very many thanks for reading the above, and your comments and feedback are very much welcomed.

Clear skies to all,

Darren.

Messier 42.png

Edited by DDEV, 18 January 2020 - 07:28 AM.

• Asbytec, John Gauvreau, Tanglebones and 8 others like this

#2 cloudbuster

cloudbuster

Viking 1

• Loc: Almere, The Netherlands

Posted 18 January 2020 - 10:57 AM

Congratulations on your first "nebula" sketch. M42 is a daunting object to start with, so all the rest will be much easier smile.png

To me, one of the trapezium stars definitely looks yellow(ish).

Seems like a nice observation site just outside Dublin and it's alway nice to observe with others. Keep up the good work!

Regards, Martijn

• DDEV likes this

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 18 January 2020 - 11:18 AM

Darren,

An excellent report and excellent sketch centered on the core of M 42.

Frank :)

• DDEV likes this

#4 sunnyday

sunnyday

Skylab

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 18 January 2020 - 12:21 PM

nice work

• DDEV likes this

#5 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 18 January 2020 - 04:23 PM

Darren,

Very nice Sketch of Messier 42 smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

• DDEV likes this

#6 DDEV

DDEV

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 January 2020 - 05:38 PM

Very many thanks to you Martijn, Frank, James, and Tom for your kind words, and those who like the post - that's much appreciated.

After submitting my sketch of M42, I spent some time reading through ' Turn Left at Orion'  to compare and contrast my sketch of M42 against what's in the book. I can't believe I missed the nebulosity flowing around Theta 2 foreheadslap.gif

However, I find the exercise of comparing and contrasting what I produce against what others have done a really good way to learn more about I have observed, or what I didn't, as the case may be!

As the saying goes: "You never stop learning" 

Clear skies,

Darren.

Edited by DDEV, 20 January 2020 - 05:41 PM.

#7 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 21 January 2020 - 10:50 AM

Darren,

Very fine book  "Turn Left at Orion" smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

• DDEV likes this

#8 perfessor

perfessor

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 21 January 2020 - 11:44 AM

Darren, you will find that you see more each time out.  You are off to a good start.

I always find that nebulae will brighten up in appearance with a lower power eyepiece.  You might give that a try.  With diffuse objects, magnification works against you.

It's great that you have found a group to observe with.  Sounds like a lot of fun!

Cheers,

• DDEV likes this

#9 DDEV

DDEV

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 January 2020 - 07:35 AM

Hi Perfessor,

Very many thanks for the supportive message, and for the suggestion of using a lower power eyepiece... I must that a go next time I sketch M42.

Yep, there's a great group of people on this side if the pond who are only too happy to lend a helping hand to novices like me.

Clear skies,

Darren.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics