•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My CEM120EC2 21 Months In

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#26 astrohamp

astrohamp

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 11:26 AM

I 'park' at the zero position since I need to Telegizmos 365 cover my setup each night.  I have only parked the mount when inside testing.  So I shut down and start from the zero position I have set.  From there I'll goto a selected star from the planetarium, plate solve and sync in SharpCap Pro, sync star in planetarium and go.  This one star alignment is more than adequate for target acquisition unless so faint that a plate solve/sync nudges to center for assurance. 

Having only a month of use now in the field, 4 (week to 10+ day) deployments, I am very much on the learning curve.  Many single night local sessions provide incremental benefits.  Overall I would say I am getting good results given my very limited use.  Certainly adequate for the EAA observing I am doing now, able to observe objects out of the reach of my eye site through visual only.

I do remember start up on one first night where the mount acted up probably thinking it was in China or something.  Can't remember how I resolved the issue other then it was the next day loosing that night of operation. 

Start up on one early session somehow blew out the 8407+ hand controller DC-DC converter just after star alignment. Working with the seller and iOptron tech support I was able to arrange and ship the HC for warranted service.  Both also helped locate and allow purchase of a second 8407+ direct form iOptron USA.  All this and speedy arrival to my remote site (10 day excursion) in time for some good viewing before having to leave.  Thank you High Point and iOptron Woburn, MA.

A second issue involving a Losmandy DUP14 dovetail plate not fitting had me at the Woburn, MA iOptron headquarters to complete my mount saddle swap discussed (email) earlier with tech support.  I was able to make the swap, necessary for a side-by-side ota build I am working on.  I also was able to talk with iOptron folks in their show room lobby while I waited for my saddle. 

Seems I, among 300+ others are the current group of CEM120 (ec,ec2) owners in the United States at this time as told by the sales and marketing manager.  An admittedly small number when compared to some of their other offerings so reported.  Discussing my blown 8407+ HC I commented about the need for good service tech since I knew the burnt out part was a tiny surface mounted chip.  I was informed that all service for the USA was done at the Woburn, MA location, and not in China. I was happy to hear that and said so. 

My CEM120 arrived April '19 into my push-to DSC assisted planetarium linked laptop displayed astro environment.  Add imaging camera, OAG guide camera, SharpCap Pro, PHD2, and a new PC platform to load the Astrotortila plate solve data base and support software.  Throw in wireless Remote Desktop and 4k UHD EAA image viewing to make the learning curve steeper to get a picture of what some of you may have forgotten already. 

Things were working pretty well for my needs this night:

Orion Nebula 80s 139g Ma1.jpg

#27 astrohamp

astrohamp

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 08:37 PM

Any CEM120 users have a PHD2 guiding experience they would like to share?

Winter here in New England has been pretty dismal so not getting much time to perfect guiding.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics