•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

C11 EDGE HD rear 3.25" threads came off with .7 reduer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GlendaleGuy

GlendaleGuy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

Posted 18 January 2020 - 07:17 PM

Like the topic says when I went to remove the .7 reducer it was stuck. When it came loose the 3.25" threads from the back of the scope stayed in the reducer and screwed off the opening at the rear of the scope. It looks like a permanent adapter ring that Celestron has put on the back of the scope. Has anyone had this happen and been able to get that piece loose and back on the scope? I'm kind of stuck now unless I want to always use the scope at reduced focal length. frown.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• C11 Edge Rear Cell.JPG
  • Reducer Scope End.JPG

Edited by GlendaleGuy, 18 January 2020 - 08:15 PM.

#2 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Apollo

• Loc: Tooele, Ut

Posted 18 January 2020 - 07:30 PM

Temperature is your friend. Put the whole thing in the fridge. Get a blow dryer and heat the outer part gently. The inner part should screw off by hand.

Chris

Edited by Cfreerksen, 18 January 2020 - 07:31 PM.

• spongebob@55 likes this

#3 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 18 January 2020 - 07:56 PM

I had  a C14 with this issue (AP 3.25" VB and baffle nut) and was never able to get if off (tried all remedies).

Good thing I was only visual and it didn't matter.

#4 GlendaleGuy

GlendaleGuy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 January 2020 - 08:18 PM

Temperature is your friend. Put the whole thing in the fridge. Get a blow dryer and heat the outer part gently. The inner part should screw off by hand.

Chris

I assume you mean the reducer in the fridge. I will give that a try. There isn't much to grab onto that inner part with.

I think cold temperatures when I last used the scope is what got it stuck when I put the reducer on. Tonight I tried to take the reducer off in a warm house.

#5 Stricnine

Stricnine

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: DFW Area, TX

Posted 18 January 2020 - 09:08 PM

My reducer seizes up hard at the end of the thread travel as a result I've had to be very careful when approaching the end of the threads in the reducer otherwise it would grab hold of the 3.25" threads hard enough that it would remove the 3.25" adapter from the SCT.  The adapter came off several times before I "fixed" it.  The 1st time I was able to use a little heat to remove it.  The 2nd time I ended up resorting to using thread locker to the inner threads (that screw onto the SCT male threads) of the 3.25" adapter and let it setup for a day or so and was able to remove the reducer.

I think a few have been able to use a strap wrench, but they had something to grab onto, it doesn't look like you do.

#6 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Apollo

• Loc: Tooele, Ut

Posted 18 January 2020 - 09:58 PM

I assume you mean the reducer in the fridge. I will give that a try. There isn't much to grab onto that inner part with.

I think cold temperatures when I last used the scope is what got it stuck when I put the reducer on. Tonight I tried to take the reducer off in a warm house.

Yeah, that's what I meant. The only other thing you could do is put thread locker on it and screw it back on the scope. Then try to remove the reducer.

Chris

#7 Crashcourse

Crashcourse

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 18 January 2020 - 11:24 PM

Check out my posts here: 
https://www.cloudyni...in-the-reducer/
#9 and #10

Worked perfectly. My problem was I stupidly took the reducer from a nice warm house to a -20C telescope (in obsy) and screwed it on and snugged it up. A month or so later when I went to take it off I realized my blunder. I thought I'd never get it off but thanks goodness for Dean. :)

#8 GlendaleGuy

GlendaleGuy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2020 - 03:27 AM

Check out my posts here: 
https://www.cloudyni...in-the-reducer/
#9 and #10

Worked perfectly. My problem was I stupidly took the reducer from a nice warm house to a -20C telescope (in obsy) and screwed it on and snugged it up. A month or so later when I went to take it off I realized my blunder. I thought I'd never get it off but thanks goodness for Dean. smile.gif

Thank you, that looks promising. I will have to go out tomorrow and look for a good strap wrench.

I believe the cause is the same as yours. Leaving the scope outside to acclimatize, then installing the reducer.

Edited by GlendaleGuy, 19 January 2020 - 03:29 AM.

#9 GlendaleGuy

GlendaleGuy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 January 2020 - 11:43 AM

OK, that worked. I stacked the deck in my favor by cooling the telescope off outdoors before screwing the warm nut and reducer back on. I figured that would lock the nut on the same way it locked the reducer on. Nearly 30 minutes of hair dryer on the reducer and it came off with a little effort. The strap wrench was really good for this. I did have to use a "rocket" air blower to blow out some dried fragments of the original loctite out of the baffle and corrector lens. Thanks everyone for the great ideas and that excellent thread about the Starizona fix.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics