•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NGC 7635 "Bubble" and M52 Bicolor with RGB Stars

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Thommes

Jim Thommes

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San DiegoCA USA

Posted 19 January 2020 - 12:23 AM

Here is a bicolor narrow band image of the The "Bubble Nebula" (NGC 7635, LBN 548). The open cluster M52 is also in this image as well as the open cluster [KPS2012] MWSC 3726. The planetary nebula KjPn 8 is also pretty clear in the image - but only in the Ha data. There are  LDN1231, Sh2-161,162 in this image as well. The thumbnail crop below is Sh2-162 and the Bubble. 

The processing of the Ha OIII data was in a starless mode. I am not sure I am pleased with the OIII data , but it is what it is. The RGB star data was added after the narrow band starless processing.

Image and details are accessed from the link below. The annotated image can be linked from the main image page but I have also provided a link below for convenience. The full size image (1.84 arcsec/pix) can be accessed from the image webpage.

NGC7635_MN152_PI2_PS2_crp_small.jpg

"Bubble Nebula" and M52

Annotated Image:
"Bubble Nebula" and M52 Region Annotated

Scope: Explore Scientific MN152 Maksutov Newtonian at f/4.8
Camera: Atik 383L (Astronomik Gen 2  Ha OIII LRGB Filters)

• elmiko, DuncanM, Allaboutastro and 9 others like this

#2 sunnyday

sunnyday

Skylab

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 19 January 2020 - 01:22 AM

the most beautiful bubble I saw.

#3 elmiko

elmiko

Skylab

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 19 January 2020 - 01:40 AM

Excellent image Jim! The processing is really well done! Could you please elaborate on the technique that you used for adding the RGB stars?

#4 DSOs4Me

DSOs4Me

Mariner 2

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 19 January 2020 - 01:51 AM

Nice Image - Well Done!

#5 Jim Thommes

Jim Thommes

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2020 - 06:37 PM

James, Mike, Jerry,

Thanks for the comments.

Excellent image Jim! The processing is really well done! Could you please elaborate on the technique that you used for adding the RGB stars?

Well, first  you need RGB data (probably stating the obvious here). It can be RGB or LRGB - whichever your preference. But it doesn't need to be deep - like you are shooting a star cluster is good. Starless is generated from starnet++. Other processing is in PixInsight. Typically I will still do a starless version of the RGB data. This is then subtracted from the original RGB - the result is a black clipped stars only image all nebulosity is removed. Now with a starless NB color image and the developed RGB stars image, I use pixel  math with a "screen" function for each color. See Pixel Math window below. I subtract star color red and blue as shown below - this is to preserve the star color in regions of heavy red or blue/teal in the starless NB. (The StarColor_B(or R) is generated from RGB extraction of the developed "Stars Image"). You may also have to adjust the 0.33 scaling factor if your star color is influenced by the nebula colors [increase] or if the nebula is getting crushed around the stars [decrease].

StarScreen2.jpg

• elmiko likes this

#6 elmiko

elmiko

Skylab

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 19 January 2020 - 06:50 PM

Wow! Thanks for sharing the details Jim! That's pretty advanced! I will have to check it out!

• Jim Thommes likes this

#7 Jim Thommes

Jim Thommes

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 21 January 2020 - 01:27 AM

Wow! Thanks for sharing the details Jim! That's pretty advanced! I will have to check it out!

Thanks Mike. Let me know if there are any further questions when/if you get into it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics