•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Barlow Connection with NexstarSE

astrophotography beginner Celestron
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cman2187

cman2187

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2020 - 01:09 AM

Hi. Noob here, so be gentle.

I am trying to figure out how to use a Barlow's magnification with a DSLR (Nikon D3200) on a Celestron Nexstar 4SE scope.  I have the t-ring and adapter (Celestron model 93635-A) hooked successfully to the scope and am actually getting decent pictures. What I want to do is hook up a Barlow lens to the camera and get some better magnification/resolution.

Is this possible?  My google-fu is weak in this regard.

Thanks!

#2 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 19 January 2020 - 01:44 AM

It can be hard to find an all-threaded connection when it comes to barlows. The easiest solution would be to use the visual back and place the 1.25" barlow in that and follow that with a 1.25"-to-T-thread adapter and then on to your Nikon with its own T-thread adapter.

So, something like the following:

<Celestron Visual Back> <1.25" barlow> < 1.25"-to-T-thread adapter> < T-thread adapter for the Nikon> <Nikon camera mount>

And these would mate as follows: female(Visual Back slip-fit output) male(1.25" balow slip-fit input) female(1.25" barlow slip-fit output) male (1.25"-to-T-thread adapter slip-fit input) male(1.25"-to-T-thread adapter output threads) female(Nikon T-thread adapter input threads).

Other than the 1.25" barlow the only part you will need is: https://agenaastro.c...-t-adapter.html

[UPDATE]

Actually, on the 4SE it would be easier just to place the barlow in the right-angle viewing port as a "visual back" really isn't part of the standard 4SE configuration. So, it would be as shown above once the barlow is inserted into the standard 1.25" eyepiece holder.

Or, I guess you could add a 1.25" eyepiece holder to the 4SE's photographic port and avoid going through the flip mirror, but that would cost more than just using the existing eyepiece port.

[/UPDATE]

Edited by james7ca, 19 January 2020 - 05:48 AM.

#3 cman2187

cman2187

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2020 - 10:09 AM

Thank you james! I'm not necessarily looking for an all-threaded connection, just a way to get a barlow onto my current setup (example in linked images here https://cdn.shopify....pg?v=1529943582

So from what you're saying, I think what I need is 1) a 1.25" adapter to thread onto the photo port, and 2) a 1.25" Barlow lens.  Would the piece you linked work for the photo port adapter? And would any 1.25 barlow work (questions of quality and price aside)? Or do I have it all crabbed?

Edited by cman2187, 19 January 2020 - 10:16 AM.

#4 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

Posted 19 January 2020 - 10:16 AM

You don't really need to add the 1.25" eyepiece adapter for the 4SE. You can just use the standard 1.25" eyepiece holder that goes through the flip mirror. However, I guess if you added an eyepiece holder to the photographic port you could flip between your regular eyepiece and the view through the camera. That might be useful as a kind of finder scope.

However, in either case what you do need is the 1.25"-to-T-thread adapter that I linked earlier.

#5 cman2187

cman2187

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:10 AM

Thanks for your patience in this; my newness is showing.

So just to be crystal clear, the adapter you linked is supposed to thread into the Nikon t-ring, and would sit in between the barlow and the scope.

Did i get that right? 

#6 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

Posted 19 January 2020 - 06:23 PM

Yes, that's right. One end of the adapter screws into the female threads on the Nikon's T-Ring. Then, the other end of the new part just slips into the 1.25" female end of the barlow. The link I provided has additional descriptions on how to use this part. Also, you don't need to get it from Agena Astro. Similar parts are sold by most astro-focused retailers, and probably on Amazon.

Edited by james7ca, 19 January 2020 - 06:26 PM.

• cman2187 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner, Celestron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics