•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Adding an OAG to Imaging Train w Feathertouch Focuser (SCT)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 techmgr

techmgr

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: North Central Ohio

Posted 19 January 2020 - 01:10 AM

I have a Celestron C-11 to which I've added a Feathertouch Crayford focuser.  Up to now I've use a separate guidescope setup for guiding, but I would like to switch to using an OAG (looking at the Celestron OAG).  I'm having a hard time trying to determine whether I will be able to put this into the imaging train between the focuser and the camera setup or not.  I'm sure this sounds like a stupid question, but is it possible? Does the OAG come with an adapter to add it to the focuser? 

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

#2 futuneral

futuneral

Apollo

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 19 January 2020 - 01:52 AM

That's actually how it's supposed to be used. Any specific issues you're seeing with this?

Check this out:

https://www.cloudyni...hy-setup-guide/

• elwaine likes this

#3 DuncanM

DuncanM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona Sky Village or the rain forest

Posted 19 January 2020 - 02:09 AM

I have a Celestron C-11 to which I've added a Feathertouch Crayford focuser.  Up to now I've use a separate guidescope setup for guiding, but I would like to switch to using an OAG (looking at the Celestron OAG).  I'm having a hard time trying to determine whether I will be able to put this into the imaging train between the focuser and the camera setup or not.  I'm sure this sounds like a stupid question, but is it possible? Does the OAG come with an adapter to add it to the focuser? 

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Most OAG's will come with a 2in barrel adapter:

Crayford->2in barrel adapter-OAG->spacers->Tring->camera

or some variation of the above.

If you are going to use a focal reducer, I'd suggest looking at the Starizona .63x SCT FR,  which should work well with a C-11 'classic' as it has a 2in barrel.

In which case the setup would be:

Crayford->SCT FR->t adapter->OAG->spacer->Tring-camera. If you tell Starizona which focuser and OAG you have, they will make sure you get the right spacers.

Edited by DuncanM, 19 January 2020 - 04:16 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics