•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Counter Balancing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gregory2012

Gregory2012

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Gig Harbor,WA.

Posted 19 January 2020 - 02:53 AM

Hi,

I have a new Celestron 9.25Edge with the CPC Deluxe fork mount. I can not seem to find a way to add the typical counter balance system for the bottom of my OTA. I tried one from ADM, but it appears there is no way to mount it on the bottom of the OTA to counter my focuser and CCD on the back.

Currently I have the ADM sitting on top of the tube on a mounting plate. The standard dovetail (Losmandy style) is used to hold my accessories on top of the mount. So, mixed in with my dew heater, USB Com Hub, is the counter weight and mount. The five inch threaded rod sticking strait up. It looks amateurish at best.

I had a nice setup for my older 11in Edge. But this 9.25 doesn't appear to support any accessory on the bottom. I have an ADM V style mounting bar, but it will not bolt to anything. Is there a special mounting need for this scope?

As always, hoping you the best.

Gregory Gig Harbor, WA.

#2 Migwan

Migwan

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 19 January 2020 - 06:56 AM

You might want to call Celestron and ask them why there is no attachment holes on bottom of front cell.   If there isn't a sound structural reason for that, I would pull the corrector off then drill and tap two holes as needed.   I would make sure that those holes don't line up with the corrector.   If they did, I would alter the dove tail so that they don't.

No, you shouldn't have to do this, but you can't balance for the vertical with the weight on top.   

jd

#3 realcomix

realcomix

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: San Tan Valley Az

Posted 19 January 2020 - 03:07 PM

I have the same scope and mount and was wondering the same thing. Is that how you get the drift out during tracking? 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics