•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tariffs on astrocams?

astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Scott Mitchell

Scott Mitchell

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Atlanta-ish, GA

Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:06 AM

Does anyone know what, if any, tariffs are applied to cameras coming from China? Have they increased as part of the "trade war" this past year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 Cali

Cali

Apollo

• Loc: Bay Area

Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:22 AM

Does anyone know what, if any, tariffs are applied to cameras coming from China? Have they increased as part of the "trade war" this past year?

Here is a link to the Harmonized Tariff Schedule  (2020 Basic Edition)

LINK

By default I have it set to "9005" for Optics. (Telescopes are now 8% tariff). You'll have to do a search for the type of product in question.

- Cal

Edited by Cali, 19 January 2020 - 11:24 AM.

#3 kurbs

kurbs

Vostok 1

• Loc: 60014

Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:26 AM

Te ones I got off Ebay were not. 

• Scott Mitchell likes this

#4 Scott Mitchell

Scott Mitchell

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:34 AM

Thanks Cali. Wow, that's... complicated.

I did find a section that discussed cameras, but it isn't clear at all what subcategory astro cameras would fall into.

• Cali likes this

#5 Cali

Cali

Apollo

Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:49 AM

Thanks Cali. Wow, that's... complicated.

I did find a section that discussed cameras, but it isn't clear at all what subcategory astro cameras would fall into.

Yeah, ya gotta noodle around. Try accessing it from a computer rather than your iphone so you can see the entire screen layout more clearly. Its probably going to be under "optics" or "cameras". For the tariff rate you're only interested in the column labeled "General" under "Rates of Duty" on the right hand side of the screen.

Example: Next to Optical Telescopes the tariff is 8%

Next to Binoculars the tariff is FREE

- Cal

Edited by Cali, 19 January 2020 - 12:07 PM.

#6 Scott Mitchell

Scott Mitchell

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2020 - 02:30 PM

Yeah, ya gotta noodle around. Try accessing it from a computer rather than your iphone so you can see the entire screen layout more clearly. Its probably going to be under "optics" or "cameras". For the tariff rate you're only interested in the column labeled "General" under "Rates of Duty" on the right hand side of the screen.

Example: Next to Optical Telescopes the tariff is 8%

Next to Binoculars the tariff is FREE

- Cal

Definitely more functional on a laptop vs. my phone. Still hard to sort out based on all the indenting in the camera section (and zero mention of digital cameras at all). Given @kurbs response I will just go with the assumption that it is 0% and that there isn't any likely benefit coming if the tariff hikes of the past year were to go back to "normal".

Thanks for the pointer.

#7 Scott Mitchell

Scott Mitchell

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2020 - 02:37 PM

Wow, now I can't stop reading. Some of this is so bizarre. This category just reeks of goverment detachment from reality: "Digital still image video cameras". Is that supposed to have an "and" or "or" in there? Ugh.

Then there's this gem: "Sets each containing five camera mounts of plastics, designed for cameras of subheading 8525.80.40; such sets each containing mounts having various different profile configurations including but not limited to rectangular, curved or raised profiles"

Somebody with a very specific beef must have gotten that in there. You don't suppose the foreign manufacturer just started packaging them in quantities of 6 do you?

OK, I'll stop thinking about government stuff and return to the joys of astronomy now (well, except that it's been cloudy for weeks with no end in sight).

• Cali likes this

#8 Cali

Cali

Apollo

Posted 19 January 2020 - 03:00 PM

If you think that's fun do a search on "Live animals" and then scroll around the contents in the Left Hand Window under "Search Results".

;>)

- Cal

#9 pfile

pfile

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 19 January 2020 - 03:32 PM

Wow, now I can't stop reading. Some of this is so bizarre. This category just reeks of goverment detachment from reality: "Digital still image video cameras". Is that supposed to have an "and" or "or" in there? Ugh.

given the specificity of some of the other tariffs, i wonder if this means a video camera that can save a still while recording video. i think most video cameras can do this now, but maybe this is there so a mfg can patch the firmware and then get around the tariff? who knows.

rob

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics