•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PI Bias integration settings?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 calypsob

calypsob

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:09 AM

Im creating a master bias for my A7RIII in Pixinsight and have not done this in a long time.

Im using this site for a baseline process http://dslr-astropho...as-frames-dslr/

My question here is what should I use as a scale estimator?

What type of pixel rejection should I use?  Im stacking 450 subs. I typically prefer to using the linear regression rejection algorithm

Finally, how do I analyze my bias frame to ensure it is optimal?

Should I use ROI and restack in pursuit of some objective?  thanks

Annotation 2020-01-19 110739.jpg

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:22 AM

Personally, I do this very simply.  The defaults, except for changing to "no normalization" and "all weights=1", and adding the desired rejection algorithm.  I use linear fit, others work well also, depending on how many bias exposures you have.  It's mostly a personal choice.

450 bias exposures is excellent, that's important.  You can use whatever rejection algorithm you want, although people would generally use one of the more elaborate ones.

Generally people who want to check just stretch the bias, and examine it visually for issues.  Often they just ignore that step.

Edited by bobzeq25, 19 January 2020 - 11:26 AM.

• calypsob likes this

#3 georgian82

georgian82

Viking 1

• Loc: Healdsburg, California

Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:28 AM

I have followed this tutorial in the past with very good results:

https://www.lightvor...pixinsight.html

Edited by georgian82, 19 January 2020 - 11:29 AM.

• jerahian likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics