•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASIair 5th USB port needed

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:46 AM

Main Camera
Guide Camera
Filter Wheel
Focuser
Mount

Any suggestions? According to everything I've read, equiptment needs to be plugged into it's own port seperatly not into camera hub or a seperate USB hub.

Thanks in advance...

• Robby9newbie likes this

#2 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Apollo

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 19 January 2020 - 12:07 PM

I have had no problems using the on-camera hub in my 1600mm for the filter wheel or guide camera (though I think I remember  it being not recommended to use that hub for the guide camera)

#3 scadvice

scadvice

Surveyor 1

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 19 January 2020 - 12:27 PM

I use the StarFi for my CEM60 so no usb needed.

With the ASI1600 one USB is needed coming from the computer preferably a 3.0 to that camera. The camera has two USB 2.0 hubs on it. One is used to connect to the EFW and the other is used to connect to the Mini 120 guide camera.

Everything does not need it separate plug just a very good powered USB hub

iOptron continues to only offer USB non-powered.

So, if not using a WiFi connection for the mount or the focuser you still will only need three USB connections. One direct from the computer to the mount. And for the other equipment like the focuser, a light box for flats, and to your pocket power box I suggest adding one of these and running all accept for the mount your other equipment through it.

https://www.coolgear...urge-protection

All my connection problems went away after setting this hub up.

Edited by scadvice, 19 January 2020 - 12:36 PM.

#4 Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 January 2020 - 12:31 PM

I use the StarFi for my CEM60 so no usb needed.

With the ASI1600 one USB is needed coming from the computer preferably a 3.0 to that camera. The camera has two USB 2.0 hubs on it. One is used to connect to the EFW and the other is used to connect to the Mini 120 guide camera.

Everything does not need it separate plug just a very good powered USB hub

iOptron continues to only offer USB non-powered.

So, if not using a WiFi connection for the mount or the focuser still will you only need three USB connections. One direct from the computer to the mount and for the other equipment like the focuser, a light box for flats, and to your pocket power box I suggest adding one of these and running all accept for the mount your other equipment through it.

https://www.coolgear...urge-protection

All my connection problems went away after setting this hub up.

Right but this thread pertains to the ASIair. It comes with 4 usb ports. I need 5 and was looking for a recommendation as to how to get my 5th piece of equipment plugged into the ASIair.

• scadvice likes this

#5 Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 January 2020 - 12:32 PM

I have had no problems using the on-camera hub in my 1600mm for the filter wheel or guide camera (though I think I remember  it being not recommended to use that hub for the guide camera)

When using your ASIair, right?

#6 SonnyE

SonnyE

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 19 January 2020 - 12:36 PM

Apparently you've been listening to the wrong people.

I use a Star Tech Powered hub, mounted on my equipment of my telescope. And two power plugs power everything up.

So when I set my telescope and all in the clamp, I connected 7 wires total. And had a 12 volt connection, and a single USB cable to connect off mount to my Baby Dell 2 in 1.

I loomed all my wires in Spiral Wrap, use shorter USB-B to USB-A cables from camera and such to the hub. Nice and neat!

And once everything was done, I can choose to sit out on a nice night, or come inside and run everything remotely via WiFi, with Tight Vnc.

Oh, I did the fat loom with individual cables for a while. Then a friend advised me to get a Star Tech powered hub. Since mounting it on my telescope assembly I've never looked back.

Now my Astrophotography is everything I dreamed it could be.

#7 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Apollo

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 19 January 2020 - 12:45 PM

Yes Jeff, when using the ASIAir. Give it a shot and I bet you get good results! At least this is something you can test inside during the day.

#8 Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 January 2020 - 12:48 PM

Apparently you've been listening to the wrong people.

I use a Star Tech Powered hub, mounted on my equipment of my telescope. And two power plugs power everything up.

So when I set my telescope and all in the clamp, I connected 7 wires total. And had a 12 volt connection, and a single USB cable to connect off mount to my Baby Dell 2 in 1.

I loomed all my wires in Spiral Wrap, use shorter USB-B to USB-A cables from camera and such to the hub. Nice and neat!

And once everything was done, I can choose to sit out on a nice night, or come inside and run everything remotely via WiFi, with Tight Vnc.

Oh, I did the fat loom with individual cables for a while. Then a friend advised me to get a Star Tech powered hub. Since mounting it on my telescope assembly I've never looked back.

Now my Astrophotography is everything I dreamed it could be.

While I appreciate the help I think you are not understanding what I'm asking. I can use my laptop or mini pc at the scope but I'm asking a question about plugging my equipment into my ASIair which only has 4 ports. The ASIair REPLACES laptops and mini computers and usually requires direct connections without a hub.

Read about it here: https://astronomy-im...duct/zwo-asiair

Edited by Jeff Smith, 19 January 2020 - 12:49 PM.

#9 Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 January 2020 - 01:06 PM

Yes Jeff, when using the ASIAir. Give it a shot and I bet you get good results! At least this is something you can test inside during the day.

Thank you! I'll give it a try.

#10 SonnyE

SonnyE

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 19 January 2020 - 01:14 PM

While I appreciate the help I think you are not understanding what I'm asking. I can use my laptop or mini pc at the scope but I'm asking a question about plugging my equipment into my ASIair which only has 4 ports. The ASIair REPLACES laptops and mini computers and usually requires direct connections without a hub.

Read about it here: https://astronomy-im...duct/zwo-asiair

Oh, I do understand.

I'm giving you a better alternative.

But you've already bought into it, so not apt to change.

A 7 port, powered hub has room to grow.

#11 Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 January 2020 - 01:28 PM

OMG

#12 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

Vendor - ZWO Product Dev Team Member

• Vendors
  • Loc: Darfield, New Zealand

Posted 20 January 2020 - 03:05 AM

Main Camera
Guide Camera
Filter Wheel
Focuser
Mount

Any suggestions? According to everything I've read, equiptment needs to be plugged into it's own port seperatly not into camera hub or a seperate USB hub.

Thanks in advance...

USB 3 - Main Camera -> Hub -> Guidecamera

-> Filter wheel 

USB 3 - USB Memory stick 

USB 2 - Focuser
USB 2 - Mount

sorted :)

#13 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

Vendor - ZWO Product Dev Team Member

• Vendors
  • Loc: Darfield, New Zealand

Posted 20 January 2020 - 03:06 AM

ASI120MM / 290MM /174MM minis all work fine through the hub if the main camera is connected via USB3

#14 Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 January 2020 - 08:05 AM

Thanks for the help. I'll set it up later

#15 Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 January 2020 - 11:54 AM

Well I plugged the filter wheel into the USB hub on the camera and it's working fine. I'm setting up a new dark library right now. I was under the impression that the ASIair needed everything plugged directly into it.

Thanks again for the help guys.

• ZL4PLM and wrnchhead like this

#16 arjanb

arjanb

Lift Off

• Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 02 February 2020 - 06:14 PM

Also ASIAIR user here: My big camera is on the front, (rasa) did you ever try an actual hub? I think this Q is getting more pertinent since they support writing to a memory stick now with 1.4 which I’m sure should go into a usb3 on the air/pro. So I need 5 as well right now and 6 in other setups.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics