•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dew Control

accessories equipment outreach
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Retired Ipswich

Retired Ipswich

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2020 - 12:13 PM

Last evening I took part in a public outreach event with my Q7, although I didn’t bother to take the dew shield extension.

Towards the end of the evening I suspected my ‘scope wasn’t performing as well as it was earlier and a quick flash of my torch revealed that the corrector plate was swimming with dew.

Question: do any of the fine members of this forum have experience of dew heaters on Q ‘scopes? Is there you particularly recommend?

I power my Q drive using a ‘jump-starter’ with two cigarette lighter sockets and a USB, so would have one 12v cigarette socket or 5v USB available to power a heater.

#2 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose

Posted 19 January 2020 - 12:38 PM

I believe your OTA is basically a very well made Maksutov and using a commercially available dew strip should not cause any issues. I also believe a dew shield should be your first line of defense. When I had a 6" APO, the dew shield prevented about 90% of the dew.

The problem with 12v dew heaters is that they eat batteries so I would suggest also getting a controller to help mitigate the battery drain.

#3 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 19 January 2020 - 12:53 PM

My Q7 worked well with it's felt lined dewcap. For Questars, I am not a fan of dew heaters. Just add your dewcap and you should be fine. For visual high power work, I like to mess as little as possible with heat around my scope.

#4 RobertPettengill

RobertPettengill

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 20 January 2020 - 09:30 AM

The dew shield helps a lot, but dew can surprise you early in the morning. My last experience with it was at the VLA in New Mexico at 5 am.

Because of the Questar’s all aluminum construction there
are some simple effective solutions. I now always carry a few of those chemical hand warmers and rubber bands. One of these will keep dew away for hours and adds almost no bulk or weight. Carry extras to keep your hands warm and allow for the occasional dud.

If I expect dew (can you spell Mississippi) I have one of those 12V automobile hair dryers. Not as effective as the AC models, but they can help you recover quickly if dew dies form.

Edited by RobertPettengill, 20 January 2020 - 09:33 AM.

• Terra Nova and Loren Gibson like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, equipment, outreach

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics