•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Free upgrade from Win7 to Win10 is still possible.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 DuncanM

DuncanM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Arizona Sky Village or the rain forest

Posted 19 January 2020 - 01:59 PM

https://www.cnet.com...fficially-done/

• JoeVanGeaux, artem2 and sbradley07 like this

#2 mikenoname

mikenoname

Viking 1

• Loc: Death Valley Region (Bortle 2 - SQM 21.9+)

Posted 19 January 2020 - 03:41 PM

I followed the directions to do this from another site over the Thanksgiving holiday and, yup, you can still do it for free (if you know about it).

Apparently M$ doesn't advertise it, but they never actually shut the free upgrade program down.

• DuncanM likes this

#3 Garyth64

Garyth64

Skylab

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 19 January 2020 - 04:12 PM

Ok,  I have a Windows 7 Pro desktop, that I wanted to upgrade to Windows 10. 

I looked earlier, and found that it can be done, but it would cost.  There was an expiration date that had passed. 

So, with seeing the link provided, I thought I'd give it a try.

I downloaded the software, and the conversion to Windows 10 started.  After a couple self checks and updates, the computer rebooted.

It is now updating, after the reboot, and I saw a Windows 10 logo.  Maybe so far so good.

right now, it's working on updates 20% . . . stand by . . .

(I have two computers, this one I'm using, and the other that I'm updating)

Edited by Garyth64, 19 January 2020 - 04:20 PM.

• DuncanM likes this

#4 DuncanM

DuncanM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2020 - 05:11 PM

The suspense is killing me...grin.gif

#5 Garyth64

Garyth64

Skylab

Posted 19 January 2020 - 05:21 PM

I took notes as to the process . . .

It's rebooted twice so far, 1st boot at about 29%, second time at about 80%.  Each time it took off where it started . . .

When it hit 100% it rebooted, and I had to log in to my computer . . . more updates . . . "to help protect you from an online world"  . . . "leave everything to us" . . .

Now I'm getting scared.

Got a bunch of privacy settings, I said no to everything . . .  there's lots of apps on the task bar, but I'll take care of those.

Ok, up and running, and checking control panel for the system,   it say "Windows 10 Pro"  !!!

And I can restore it back to Windows 7 if needed.  Overall, I think it took about 2-1/2 hours.

So at this time it seems to be up and running, it looks like the Windows 10 on my other computer.  All the icons and programs are still on the desktop.

Thanks for the link Duncan

Edited by Garyth64, 19 January 2020 - 05:22 PM.

• dpastern, bsavoie and OldManSky like this

#6 Dan Crowson

Dan Crowson

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Dardenne Prairie, MO

Posted 20 January 2020 - 07:45 PM

Once happy, run disk cleanup, hit the system files button and remove the old OS files to save some space.

Dan

• Garyth64 likes this

#7 RandallK

RandallK

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 20 January 2020 - 11:03 PM

Last year I moved my 2 laptops over to Windows 10. I did them both the same night and let them run. In the morning I was greeted to a Windows 10 screen. Everything went without a hitch.

• George N, bsavoie and Garyth64 like this

#8 Poochpa

Poochpa

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Buffalo Burbs, NY

Posted 23 January 2020 - 10:05 PM

I actually bought Windows 10 Pro to install on my Win7 PC, but haven’t had the guts to do it yet. Should I erase the drive with the OS on it before the install, or just install Win10 over Win7?  Most of my programs and files, including all my astrophotography, are on 2 other hard drives. Should I physically disconnect those drives before the install? Thanks for any guidance.

Mike

Edited by Poochpa, 23 January 2020 - 10:05 PM.

#9 Garyth64

Garyth64

Skylab

Posted 23 January 2020 - 10:14 PM

Maybe install a clean Windows 10 onto a SSD drive, and keep the hard drives for storage.

#10 Poochpa

Poochpa

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Buffalo Burbs, NY

Posted 23 January 2020 - 10:44 PM

Maybe install a clean Windows 10 onto a SSD drive, and keep the hard drives for storage.

That’s kind of the setup I have now.  Win7 OS on an SSD and two hard drives for storage. So erase the SSD before the install?

#11 DuncanM

DuncanM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 January 2020 - 11:37 PM

That’s kind of the setup I have now.  Win7 OS on an SSD and two hard drives for storage. So erase the SSD before the install?

If you paid for the upgrade version, there has to be Win7/8 installed for the upgrade to work, IIRC.

#12 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 24 January 2020 - 01:36 AM

I would disconnect anything of value before installing the new system.  It's also better to erase the drive and start over, vs installing on top of the current system.  Make backups of your stuff first, of course.

#13 jp071848

jp071848

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 January 2020 - 08:46 AM

I actually bought Windows 10 Pro to install on my Win7 PC, but haven’t had the guts to do it yet. Should I erase the drive with the OS on it before the install, or just install Win10 over Win7?  Most of my programs and files, including all my astrophotography, are on 2 other hard drives. Should I physically disconnect those drives before the install? Thanks for any guidance.

Mike

That was also my problem. I'd updated my few remaining Win 7 Pro machines to Win 10, (the ones I couldn't/wouldn't convert to Linux, my preferred OS) using the Media Creation Tool as shown in the great Youtube video being quoted here on CN. All worked great except for my big, heavily accessorized desktop. I tried the upgrade three times on the complete PC, each time with complete and utter failure. BSODs galore, I barely got Win 7 recovered and back working.

I finally bit the bullet and went to work stripping down the machine to bare bones. I started by going through the Device Manager and fixing any driver issues, eliminating any yellow triangles and ensuring no apparent driver problems, though I didn't update ALL drivers figuring I'd let Win 10 take care of that. Shut down any security software, VPNs, anti-virus SW etc. I then stripped the PC of all hardware"extras". Removed the two add-on internal HDs, leaving only the boot SSD with the apps. I also removed all add-on boards and cards, including the big Radeon graphics card, relying on the Asus motherboard for temporary graphics. Once I had the PC completely stripped down, I ran the MCT, selected to keep apps and files, and it worked just fine. Win 10 Pro came up and ran well, no apparent issues. I would have liked to do a clean install, wiping everything, but I have some apps I would have lost and chose not to do it. Once I was satisfied Win 10 was stable, I began re-installing all the removed add-ons, one at a time, fixing driver issues along the way, but she's now back up and working. All apps work as before, so far no issue with compatibility.

Edited by jp071848, 24 January 2020 - 12:47 PM.

• DuncanM and bsavoie like this

#14 N2KEN

N2KEN

Mariner 2

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY / Catskill, NY

Posted 24 January 2020 - 04:57 PM

Third time's a charm . . . Today after two previous attempts in November and December, Windows upgraded from win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro on my desktop ASUS PC.  Today's process was quite uneventful and it took about 90 minutes. And, yes it was a free upgrade. 

I was apprehensive to try again since my previous attempts resulted in a black screen, a seemingly locked / dead PC, and some system restoration work. The previous thwarted upgrade attempts were partially caused by some arcane Realtek Bluetooth driver issues imposed by Microsoft that took some needless detective work and time to resolve. Ironically, I don't have Bluetooth on this machine and the driver issues stem from the presence of the BT drivers from the original Win 7 Pro install.  I'll spare the details and a rant about Microsoft.  I will say that if I didn't have experience fiddling with MS-DOS commands and Windows since before the Win 1.0 days, this would have been a daunting and frustrating experience. 

This time the upgrade progressed smoothly.  

Edited by N2KEN, 24 January 2020 - 04:59 PM.

• mikenoname and Garyth64 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics