•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Teeters 15" F/4.5 Classic W/Ostahowski

reflector
  • Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Dougeo

Dougeo

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Apache Junction, AZ

Posted 19 January 2020 - 04:10 PM

Ordered in the late summer of 2018 I have recently received my new Teeters 15" F/4.5 Classic featuring a Terry Ostahowski fused silica quartz primary and 1/30 P-V secondary mirror. 

Everything arrived in five boxes from FedX a couple weeks ago, completely intact and very well packaged. Robs assembly instructions that he provided are straight forward and very easy to follow, and within an hour I had the major pieces assembled. The next day I completed assembling the remaining components, again everything went as smooth as butter. After carefull collimation, I wheeled the scope out to my back yard(thank God for the wheel barrow handles) and proceeded to have the scopes first "desert light" and I was extremely impressed and pleased by the optics and how all the systems function properly without any issues. This is in part because Rob field tests his scopes and is able to address any problems prior to shipping them out. Subsequently I have observed three other nights with each night exceeding my expectations. The ServoCat System along with the Nexus DSC''s is very easy to use. I generally hand track and star hop but wanted these features for the public star parties. The scope hand tracks effortlessly and is smooth as silk. Every aspect of the scope is absolutely beautiful and was very meticulously and carefully crafted.  

Robs production #TT203 also consists of:  Lightholder 18 point flotation mirror cell,Catseye "Hotspot" Howie Gatter cable sling, Astrosystems HD Spider, Feathertouch focuser, Moonlite 1.25" truss poles and hardware, "Teeters Truss Ring"with Aurora Precision Truss connectors for UTA, Aluminum powder coated altitude bearings, Servo Cat System, Nexus DSC with 40K encoders and Markless DSC Stalk II, Dual boundary cooling fans, primary cooling fan, DewBuster,  Secondary mirror dew heater, Dual batteries, Stellarvue 9X50 RACI, Telrad, Shrouds by Heather, Wheelbarrow handles. I wanted a blacked out look so went with the ebony stain and black hardware.

Rob went above and beyond my expectations taking the time and detail necessary to make such a beautiful instrument. I look forward to many years of dark, desert sky observations with this fine telescope. Rob Teeter is an absolute gentleman to work with and an extraordinary craftsman and I am hopeful for the astronomy community that he will resume taking on new orders in the near future. I would not hesitate for a moment to purchase another custom build from him. Thank you, Excellent job Robbow.gif waytogo.gif

Clear Skies!

Doug

Attached Thumbnails

• Teeters 21.jpg

Edited by Dougeo, 19 January 2020 - 08:25 PM.

• RobTeeter, Bob S., Jeff Bennett and 21 others like this

#2 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 19 January 2020 - 04:17 PM

Looks great although the pics are so small it's hard to see the details.

• retroman2 and Dougeo like this

#3 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 19 January 2020 - 04:31 PM

Guess we can call it the black jack Dob.

#4 Blueox4

Blueox4

Viking 1

• Loc: Upstate New York

Posted 19 January 2020 - 05:06 PM

Congratulations on a beautiful telescope! 

#5 starzonesteve

starzonesteve

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Alabama

Posted 19 January 2020 - 05:22 PM

Gorgeous scope! Congrats on the acquisition. Looking forward to hearing about what you see through it.

Steve

• Knasal, retroman2 and Dougeo like this

#6 Spikey131

Spikey131

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 January 2020 - 05:29 PM

Great scope.  

I hope Rob continues to make these awesome Dobs.  

‘Cause I’m gonna need a 16” f/4 in a few yearsgrin.gif.

• Dougeo likes this

#7 Dougeo

Dougeo

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 19 January 2020 - 05:38 PM

Guess we can call it the black jack Dob.

I like it! Black Jack, it has a nice ring to it!

#8 Dougeo

Dougeo

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 19 January 2020 - 05:43 PM

Looks great although the pics are so small it's hard to see the details.

Thanks Mike for the help, at least I have one larger picture for now, at least you don't need a magnifying glass to see itlol.gif

#9 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:18 PM

I've seen a number of new gorgeous dobs in threads recently with focusers on the east side when the scope points south.

I know you can adapt to using a focuser on that side, but it seems to me SO much more convenient to use the focuser when it is mounted on the west side

when the scope points south.

Your body is farther away from the opening when seated, and you steer the scope with your right hand, which has more dexterity than your left.

I suppose it might be different if you observe with the left eye or steer with the left hand.

But I wonder if it is just copying the Chinese dobs without thinking about where the focuser might be better mounted.

Really beautiful scope, BTW.

• Dougeo likes this

#10 Dougeo

Dougeo

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:21 PM

I've seen a number of new gorgeous dobs in threads recently with focusers on the east side when the scope points south.

I know you can adapt to using a focuser on that side, but it seems to me SO much more convenient to use the focuser when it is mounted on the west side

Your body is farther away from the opening when seated, and you steer the scope with your right hand, which has more dexterity than your left.

I suppose it might be different if you observe with the left eye or steer with the left hand.

But I wonder if it is just copying the Chinese dobs without thinking about where the focuser might be better mounted.

Don. I’m right handed but left eye dominant and ambidextrous, hence I chose to to have the focuser on the east side. 

• Cames, havasman and Venator like this

#11 slavicek

slavicek

Ranger 4

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 09:20 PM

Almost as nice scope as my Teeter!  lol.gif

And if your Ostahowski mirror performs like mine then you will be very happy.

• Dougeo likes this

#12 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Aurora

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:47 PM

Beautiful dob Doug. There’s lifetimes of great observing there.

• ryderc1 and Dougeo like this

#13 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Aurora

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:59 PM

Actually when you have a setup like Dougs, with full DSC and GOTO on a stalk, it is as you say SO much more convenient to have the focuser on the east side of the dob. My world dobsonian tour has confirmed in my mind it’s a much better solution. I do have to qualify my opinion by saying that it applies to right handed observers.

If you are a star hopper I can see there’s a case for putting the focuser on either side depending on personal preference and dexterity.

Edited by Allan Wade, 20 January 2020 - 12:03 AM.

• Jim T, havasman and Dougeo like this

#14 Daniel Guzas

Daniel Guzas

Viking 1

• Loc: Bethlehem NH/ Boston MA

Posted 20 January 2020 - 12:43 AM

For me (TT-96) I elected the East side partly because my scope it replaced was indeed an Orion 8” which had the focused on that “East” side. I struggled with maybe changing to the west side but for me (left eye dominant and left handed) the issue was a non issue. I guess for me it was natural.

One thing I DO like, and was a strong consideration, is that when you have full tracking I find it easier to just lean towards the scope as it tracks to the west and scoot the chair forwards as needed. Rather than have to lean back into my chair and move it backwards when staring at an object for long periods of time. So it was a win win for me.

Since I now almost exclusively Binoview and don’t have to manually track or nudge my scope I much prefer it to drift away from me rather than towards.

Something think about if you plan to have Go-To.

Just my 2 cents. But a good observation Starman!

• Jim T, Dougeo and RFeaster like this

#15 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 20 January 2020 - 01:01 AM

Congratulations on a great looking scope.  waytogo.gif I also prefer the focuser on the same side, I view with my right eye and steer with left hand (Push-To with DSC).

• areyoukiddingme and Dougeo like this

#16 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 20 January 2020 - 01:54 AM

Lotta lefties out there.

• Dougeo likes this

#17 Ranger Tim

Ranger Tim

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SW Idaho, USA

Posted 20 January 2020 - 02:46 AM

I built my Telekit with the west side focuser placement because of the right hand's convenience for pushing the scope around. It would not be difficult to move it later, although I don't know why I would. Having the ability to decide these things for yourself is one of the best aspects of having a custom-built scope. The Teeter traditional build looks like it will be an heirloom astro tool. Very nice!

• Dougeo likes this

#18 Dougeo

Dougeo

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 20 January 2020 - 02:56 AM

Gorgeous scope! Congrats on the acquisition. Looking forward to hearing about what you see through it.

Steve

Thanks Steve,I will be giving updates along the way!

• havasman likes this

#19 Dougeo

Dougeo

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 20 January 2020 - 03:43 AM

Almost as nice scope as my Teeter!  lol.gif

And if your Ostahowski mirror performs like mine then you will be very happy.

Thanks Slavicek so far I’m lovin it! BTW I bet your 22” gives some incredible views!

Beautiful dob Doug. There’s lifetimes of great observing there.

Thank you Allen!

Congratulations on a great looking scope.  waytogo.gif I also prefer the focuser on the same side, I view with my right eye and steer with left hand (Push-To with DSC).

Thanks Matt!

I built my Telekit with the west side focuser placement because of the right hand's convenience for pushing the scope around. It would not be difficult to move it later, although I don't know why I would. Having the ability to decide these things for yourself is one of the best aspects of having a custom-built scope. The Teeter traditional build looks like it will be an heirloom astro tool. Very nice!

Thank you Tim!

#20 Dougeo

Dougeo

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 20 January 2020 - 03:55 AM

Lotta lefties out there.

Hi Don, lefties or righties either way it’s all good!  You  probably aren’t aware of this but it was after talking to you on the phone a couple years ago about how pleased you were with your Teeters that helped me make the decision to order mine . Thank you for your sound advicesmile.gif

Edited by Dougeo, 20 January 2020 - 03:56 AM.

#21 hakann

hakann

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 20 January 2020 - 04:13 AM

Nice scope. Like it in black.
My SDM scope has the focuser on the what I call the Australian size.
For me as a right hand person and look at right eye thats the way I like it.
The Spacewalk scope I rented on LaPalma under christmas has it that way to.
It feel to me way more natural swing it around than use my right arm on the ’other’ side.
  • Dougeo likes this

#22 RobTeeter

RobTeeter

Vendor (Teeter's Telescopes)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Rockaway, NJ

Posted 20 January 2020 - 09:25 AM

Since there was some issue with Doug's pictures, below is a link to all the pictures we took of his telescope before shipping:

https://www.dropbox....x7IMi7gh1a?dl=0

Thanks for the compliments on our work everyone. 

• Jim T, niallk and Dougeo like this

#23 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 20 January 2020 - 10:23 AM

That black wood grain is so nice.

Doug is going to really enjoy his scope.

• Dougeo likes this

#24 RobTeeter

RobTeeter

Vendor (Teeter's Telescopes)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Rockaway, NJ

Posted 20 January 2020 - 10:28 AM

Just gotta keep it covered during the day! lol.gif  Those black surfaces will soak up a lot of heat during the day, to then have to shed after sunset. 

#25 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 20 January 2020 - 10:50 AM

Just gotta keep it covered during the day! lol.gif  Those black surfaces will soak up a lot of heat during the day, to then have to shed after sunset. 

That would be the advantage to the lighter-colored wood finishes, then.waytogo.gif

Hadn't thought about it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics