•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Teeters 15" F/4.5 Classic W/Ostahowski

reflector
  • Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#26 Daniel Guzas

Daniel Guzas

Viking 1

• Loc: Bethlehem NH/ Boston MA

Posted 20 January 2020 - 11:10 AM

Since there was some issue with Doug's pictures, below is a link to all the pictures we took of his telescope before shipping:

https://www.dropbox....x7IMi7gh1a?dl=0

Thanks for the compliments on our work everyone. 

OMG that scope is SO BEAUTIFUL! Rob, you are a master.

Even Darth Vader would agree. I can just hear him...

“Soon you will know the POWER of the Dark Sky!”

• RobTeeter and Dougeo like this

#27 Ranger Tim

Ranger Tim

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SW Idaho, USA

Posted 20 January 2020 - 12:21 PM

Scope color is not often discussed beyond a simple aesthetic viewpoint. There are lots of other factors that can influence color choice, however the black stain is very attractive. If covered during daylight wouldn’t excessive heating be negated? This would allow more freedom of color choice, right?

I would like to begin a conversation on scope/equipment color but not here. I submit that the newest Teeter is a very attractive scope. I understand the recent swing towards ultralight dobs but still appreciate a classic build. Nice to see that someone besides myself has chosen one.

• Kunama and Dougeo like this

#28 RobTeeter

RobTeeter

Vendor (Teeter's Telescopes)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Rockaway, NJ

Posted 20 January 2020 - 12:42 PM

Right, and that’s what I mentioned above, the scope should be covered during the day if left outside. A white or reflective full scope cover would do the trick.

As for ultra lights...there’s no perfect scope, each design has pluses and minuses and that’s something I discuss with my customers. I’m very open about what makes one design better than the other. But because of vendor TOS my openness will have to be held back here in the forums. 😄

Edited by RobTeeter, 20 January 2020 - 12:42 PM.

• Jim T, Tyson M and Dougeo like this

#29 Dougeo

Dougeo

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Apache Junction, AZ

Posted 20 January 2020 - 02:05 PM

That black wood grain is so nice.

Doug is going to really enjoy his scope.

Thanks Don, You are 100% correct! I'm lovin it!!!

I have already had it out every night (weather permitting) since putting it together. I am seeing detail in planetary nebula that for the first time! This is such a fantastic instrument and I'm super pumped to be able to own itsmile.gif

• havasman likes this

#30 Dougeo

Dougeo

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 20 January 2020 - 02:12 PM

Just gotta keep it covered during the day! lol.gif  Those black surfaces will soak up a lot of heat during the day, to then have to shed after sunset. 

I hear you Rob...donewaytogo.gif

#31 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 20 January 2020 - 02:29 PM

Scope color is not often discussed beyond a simple aesthetic viewpoint. There are lots of other factors that can influence color choice, however the black stain is very attractive. If covered during daylight wouldn’t excessive heating be negated? This would allow more freedom of color choice, right?

I would like to begin a conversation on scope/equipment color but not here. I submit that the newest Teeter is a very attractive scope. I understand the recent swing towards ultralight dobs but still appreciate a classic build. Nice to see that someone besides myself has chosen one.

I too appreciate the Classic style of a wooden telescope with a wooden UTA. Unfortunately there are only two manufacturers who are still taking orders for them. Obsession and Telekit.

Five years ago you had a lot more choices, but with Teeter, Pratt, and Webster not taking any new orders and NMT discontinuing their classic designs in favor of their hybrids, the options for purchasing a classic wooden dob are basically just Obsession and Telekit. From what I've heard from Dave Kriege, this may be the last year he sells the Classic design. So next year the only option for a classic scope may be Telekit.

Unless Rob Teeter starts taking orders again. We can always hope.

#32 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 20 January 2020 - 02:38 PM

I too appreciate the Classic style of a wooden telescope with a wooden UTA. Unfortunately there are only two manufacturers who are still taking orders for them. Obsession and Telekit.

Five years ago you had a lot more choices, but with Teeter, Pratt, and Webster not taking any new orders and NMT discontinuing their classic designs in favor of their hybrids, the options for purchasing a classic wooden dob are basically just Obsession and Telekit. From what I've heard from Dave Kriege, this may be the last year he sells the Classic design. So next year the only option for a classic scope may be Telekit.

Dennis Steele of dobstuff.com will still build them upon request.

And Starstructure sort of makes a normal design, albeit of metal.

Edited by Starman1, 20 January 2020 - 02:40 PM.

• Dougeo and Ihtegla Sar like this

#33 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 January 2020 - 03:17 PM

Dennis Steele of dobstuff.com will still build them upon request.

And Starstructure sort of makes a normal design, albeit of metal.

Didn't know Dobstuff would still make them.  Their website just shows the single ring UTA design, rather than a full size UTA.  Good to know he will still make them on request.

Yes, Starstructure makes a good looking telescope, as does Spica Eyes, both with a full sized UTA in a more classic design but all metal, which has certain advantages.  All metal is a different aesthetic though than a wooden telescope and not as easy for the user to modify.  

• Dougeo likes this

#34 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 January 2020 - 04:21 PM

I've seen a number of new gorgeous dobs in threads recently with focusers on the east side when the scope points south.

I know you can adapt to using a focuser on that side, but it seems to me SO much more convenient to use the focuser when it is mounted on the west side

when the scope points south.

Your body is farther away from the opening when seated, and you steer the scope with your right hand, which has more dexterity than your left.

I suppose it might be different if you observe with the left eye or steer with the left hand.

But I wonder if it is just copying the Chinese dobs without thinking about where the focuser might be better mounted.

Really beautiful scope, BTW.

Agree that is a really beautiful telescope.  I'm jealous.

Interesting point about the focuser being on the east side.  My Synta dob also has the focuser on the east side and I never thought twice about which side the focuser should be on. I am cross eye dominant, meaning left eye/right hand, which is frustrating when shooting firearms since pistols have to be held at an awkward can't and I have to either hold a rifle in my left hand or shoot with my right eye.  Never really thought about that being a problem before and I doubt I would be completely happy  with the focuser on either side, since whatever side you put it on is going to be awkward for either my hand or my eye.  I am somewhat ambidextrous but not ambidextrous enough to overcome the awkwardness of being cross eye dominant -- holding a rifle in my left hand feels awkward and moving my Synta dob around sometimes feels awkward because I can't figure out what hand to move the telescope with.  

Dougeo is lucky to be ambidextrous enough to overcome the awkwardness of cross eye dominance.  I need to work on using my left hand more because there is no way I would want to do astronomy with my right eye.

• Dougeo likes this

#35 Ranger Tim

Ranger Tim

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SW Idaho, USA

Posted 20 January 2020 - 04:28 PM

The classic wooden truss dob may be dying but is not dead yet. There is still a few of us that desire this type. As noted above, it is an easy scope for the end user to modify, which most of us eventually find reason to do. Having built my own Telekit I am more than comfortable with deconstructing it to change things when the whim strikes me. Having built small dobs from scratch before I am super comfy with tearing things apart. I have learned much from the forums and from the builds. When I retire I fantasize about continuing to build them full time and implement my own designs. Not for profit, but for pleasure. Super interested in building more modern mirror cells and UTA’s with aluminum parts.

Builders such as Mr. Teeter and NMT give us all a chance to admire the possibilities and serve to provide alternatives to the mass produced scopes. Any one of these folks leaving the market is a substantial loss but all things must change I guess. Such is life in a cottage industry!

• areyoukiddingme, havasman and Dougeo like this

#36 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 20 January 2020 - 04:41 PM

I'm pretty sure NMT will build to order a scope with the traditional UTA cage. As my Starmaster continues to age (gracefully as yet but the years are piling up) using its very fine full thickness CZO mirror in a NMT makes balance easier to maintain with that UTA configuration.

• Dougeo and Ihtegla Sar like this

#37 Dougeo

Dougeo

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 20 January 2020 - 07:55 PM

Agree that is a really beautiful telescope.  I'm jealous.

Interesting point about the focuser being on the east side.  My Synta dob also has the focuser on the east side and I never thought twice about which side the focuser should be on. I am cross eye dominant, meaning left eye/right hand, which is frustrating when shooting firearms since pistols have to be held at an awkward can't and I have to either hold a rifle in my left hand or shoot with my right eye.  Never really thought about that being a problem before and I doubt I would be completely happy  with the focuser on either side, since whatever side you put it on is going to be awkward for either my hand or my eye.  I am somewhat ambidextrous but not ambidextrous enough to overcome the awkwardness of being cross eye dominant -- holding a rifle in my left hand feels awkward and moving my Synta dob around sometimes feels awkward because I can't figure out what hand to move the telescope with.  

Dougeo is lucky to be ambidextrous enough to overcome the awkwardness of cross eye dominance.  I need to work on using my left hand more because there is no way I would want to do astronomy with my right eye.

Thanks  Steve.

I have the same problem but have learned to adapt  by using my left hand more. As far as observing goes, with the focuser being on the east side it feels very natural to me. When I am star hoping I just guide the scope with my left hand while operating the focuser with the right. It’s difficult to retrain the brain but it can be done, don’t give upsmile.gif

Edited by Dougeo, 20 January 2020 - 07:56 PM.

• Ihtegla Sar likes this

#38 Joe G

Joe G

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 20 January 2020 - 08:54 PM

I've seen a number of new gorgeous dobs in threads recently with focusers on the east side when the scope points south.

I know you can adapt to using a focuser on that side, but it seems to me SO much more convenient to use the focuser when it is mounted on the west side

when the scope points south.

Your body is farther away from the opening when seated, and you steer the scope with your right hand, which has more dexterity than your left.

I suppose it might be different if you observe with the left eye or steer with the left hand.

But I wonder if it is just copying the Chinese dobs without thinking about where the focuser might be better mounted.

Really beautiful scope, BTW.

I'm right handed and hugely prefer the focuser on the east side when pointing south.  It seems so un-natural to me to do the reverse.

Different scopes for different folks.

• Jim T and Dougeo like this

#39 stubeeef

stubeeef

Viking 1

• Loc: NW NC

Posted 09 February 2020 - 03:15 PM

Congrats on a manageable sized time machine, decades of great times to had with that heirloom device.

Teeter and Ostahowski are both world renown.

• Bob S. and Dougeo like this

#40 Dougeo

Dougeo

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 09 February 2020 - 03:51 PM

Congrats on a manageable sized time machine, decades of great times to had with that heirloom device.

Teeter and Ostahowski are both world renown.

Thank you, I am really enjoying it!

#41 JimP

JimP

Vanguard

• Loc: USA

Posted 09 February 2020 - 04:34 PM

Beautiful telescope!! Congratulations. I am in the process of acquiring a 14.7” NMT and can’t wait to try it out.

Have fun!!

Jim
  • Kunama, Dougeo and Venator like this

#42 Dougeo

Dougeo

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 09 February 2020 - 06:46 PM

Beautiful telescope!! Congratulations. I am in the process of acquiring a 14.7” NMT and can’t wait to try it out.

Have fun!!

Jim

Thanks Jim! 
I am sure that you will absolutely love your NMT when it arrives, hardest part is waiting

#43 DarkSkyKen

DarkSkyKen

Viking 1

• Loc: Oregon

Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:11 AM

Lotta lefties out there.

I'm not left handed, however my first dob was an Orion XX12i with the focuser on the "east" side. I'm right eye dominate so it is very comfortable for me to use my left hand to slew the scope. When I ordered my Obsession dob I asked Dave Kriege for what he calls a "left handed" scope. No problem although he said most requests for a left handed scope come from Asian and Australian customers.

#44 grzesznypl

grzesznypl

Mariner 2

• Loc: Jackson Heights, NY ... for now

Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:11 AM

Wondering whats is total weight of that telescope?

#45 Dougeo

Dougeo

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 18 February 2020 - 09:04 PM

Wondering whats is total weight of that telescope?

Greg, I checked the specs and it weighs approximately 136lbs however moving it with the wheelbarrow handles makes it a very manageable telescope.

• Jon Isaacs and grzesznypl like this

#46 grzesznypl

grzesznypl

Mariner 2

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:31 PM

Beautiful telescope no question about it but its weigh, ouch shocked.gif shocked.gif  .... at least you do not have to worry to take it on the plane lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

Edited by grzesznypl, 20 February 2020 - 08:31 PM.

• Dougeo likes this

#47 a__l

a__l

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:54 PM

There is an important advantage. This is the stability of a telescope. The picture will not tremble from an accidental touch with an eyebrow.

• Jon Isaacs, Jim T and Dougeo like this

#48 Dougeo

Dougeo

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:00 PM

Beautiful telescope no question about it but its weigh, ouch shocked.gif shocked.gif  .... at least you do not have to worry to take it on the plane lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

Thank you Greg. No definitely not a travel scope for airlines but transporting in vehicles, well now that’s another story.

Rob builds the classics with transporting to dark skies in mind and has a lower mounting ring that the truss tubes attach to which can be removed with 4 hand bolts. At this time the UTA, truss tubes and lower ring come off in a complete unit for transporting in a vehicle. Essentially you can have as few as two components to move, the UTA assembly and the rocker/mirror box which makes traveling with the scope fairly easy.

The scope is very stable in the wind as a result of its solidly built construction but moves ever so easy on alt and azimuth; it is a delight and pleasure to observe through! 

Best,

Doug

#49 Dougeo

Dougeo

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:08 PM

There is an important advantage. This is the stability of a telescope. The picture will not tremble from an accidental touch with an eyebrow.

Absolutely right, the scope stays put and doesn’t flinch, that was one of the first benefits of the scope I discovered which makes observing much more enjoyable!
Best

Doug

#50 grzesznypl

grzesznypl

Mariner 2

Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:45 PM

I have never heard of anyone tremble 80, 70, 60 or even 50 lbs telescope with an eyebrow. You guys have some funny ideas lol.gif lol.gif 

Once again, congrats Doug.

• Dougeo likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics