•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Teeters 15" F/4.5 Classic W/Ostahowski

reflector
  • Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#51 a__l

a__l

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:51 PM

I have never heard of anyone tremble 80, 70, 60 or even 50 lbs telescope with an eyebrow. You guys have some funny ideas lol.gif lol.gif 

Once again, congrats Doug.

You must not heard, you must use smile.gif
The question is in height. The higher and lighter the design, the less stable it is. These are the laws of mechanics.

There must always be a compromise.

Edited by a__l, 21 February 2020 - 06:53 PM.

• Dougeo likes this

#52 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 22 February 2020 - 07:53 AM

I have never heard of anyone tremble 80, 70, 60 or even 50 lbs telescope with an eyebrow. You guys have some funny ideas lol.gif lol.gif 

Once again, congrats Doug.

It happens.. wind is an issue. I remember one night some years ago. A friend from the east coast was visiting and we were using my 25 inch F/5 Obsession. It's often windy but that night the wind picked up and it was gusty. Probably about 25mph-30mph.

We finally put the scope away. It wasn't because the scope was getting blown, it was our bodies, up on the ladder, we were getting blown around. I like the classic truss design, nice and rigid.

I'm left eyed, right handed. I have Dobs that are left hand and right handed. From and observing eye point of view, it makes no difference, just different finder positioning. Tracking, its not handwriting or assembling a smartphone, it's slightly more challenging left handed but I can still manage 800x near the zenith with my 10 inch.

Jon

• Dougeo likes this

#53 Deep13

Deep13

Skylab

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 22 February 2020 - 12:13 PM

Really impressive. I have to ask...how much did it cost?

#54 Dougeo

Dougeo

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Apache Junction, AZ

Posted 22 February 2020 - 01:33 PM

Really impressive. I have to ask...how much did it cost?

Thank you, with all the add ones ~$9000

#55 Dougeo

Dougeo

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 22 February 2020 - 01:52 PM

I have a correction for post #45 above as I had miscalculated , the total weight is approximately 95 lbs. or thereabouts.

• Jon Isaacs and grzesznypl like this

#56 grzesznypl

grzesznypl

Mariner 2

• Loc: Jackson Heights, NY ... for now

Posted 22 February 2020 - 02:18 PM

well, 95 lbs. much more manageable, you going to have a lot of fun with it

• Dougeo likes this

#57 Dougeo

Dougeo

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 22 February 2020 - 02:26 PM

Yes, totally loving it and a blast to use waytogo.gif 

#58 Spikey131

Spikey131

Apollo

Posted 22 February 2020 - 06:59 PM

So just shy of $100/pound.

Edited by Spikey131, 22 February 2020 - 07:00 PM.

#59 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 22 February 2020 - 10:04 PM

So just shy of $100/pound.

If you want to make it cheaper by the pound, just add some steel counterweights.  You can buy surplus steel for around $1 per pound so $30's worth and the scope now costs only about $72 per pound.  

How's that for logic???  lol.gif

Jon

• Mike Spooner, 25585, Dougeo and 1 other like this

#60 a__l

a__l

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 February 2020 - 06:25 AM

I have a correction for post #45 above as I had miscalculated , the total weight is approximately 95 lbs. or thereabouts.

Most likely you did not add the weight of the motors and the Servocat controller,battery power, finder, shroud, the heaviest eyepiece, paracorr and possibly something else.

Edited by a__l, 23 February 2020 - 06:27 AM.

• Dougeo likes this

#61 a__l

a__l

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 February 2020 - 06:52 AM

Everything is simple here. I have two telescopes 18" and 14.5". The first is a little heavier, the second is longer. When I hold the first telescope in my hands (for to push to) it is clearly more stable than the second.

I suggest you in two identical Dobs for use (for different weights, for example 50 and 100 lbs) back to back. And you will understand what I'm talking about.

Edited by a__l, 23 February 2020 - 07:07 AM.

#62 JimP

JimP

Vanguard

• Loc: USA

Posted 23 February 2020 - 10:11 AM

Just picked up my New Moon 14.7” yesterday. Must be getting old. After driving three hours to meet the previous owner, have him go over it with me carefully for 1.5 hours, driving back three hours, then putting the telescope together slowly and carefully, which took me about an hour and a half, I was exhausted. I am embarrassed to admit I could not figure out where to plug the Nexus into and had to text the previous owner to find out I had to plug it into one of the three “legs “which the rocker box sits on! LOL.
It’s a great looking scope. The hardwood is beautiful. I was a little suspicious of the hybrid focuser/eyepiece ring but after putting it together I believe it’s going to be just fine.
After being nervous about it, it seems collimation is going to be straight forward. I do have an auto collimator on the way for the final touch up but was able to get the scope pretty well collimated using just the Cheshire, Glatter laser and tube lug.
I got everything together and working but was so tired I ended up closing up the observatory and heading in. I fell asleep on my couch with my dogs! Lol!
How heavy is it? I have no idea. It comes apart into multiple pieces for transportation and I would not try to handle it any other way than in separate pieces, so, the overall weight doesn’t concern me.
I did pull out my little deep sky app and hopefully was able to accurately take a measurement. I got a value of 20.80 which correlates to a Bortle 4 which is correct.

Jim
  • Jon Isaacs and Dougeo like this

#63 Dougeo

Dougeo

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 23 February 2020 - 11:54 AM

Just picked up my New Moon 14.7” yesterday. Must be getting old. After driving three hours to meet the previous owner, have him go over it with me carefully for 1.5 hours, driving back three hours, then putting the telescope together slowly and carefully, which took me about an hour and a half, I was exhausted. I am embarrassed to admit I could not figure out where to plug the Nexus into and had to text the previous owner to find out I had to plug it into one of the three “legs “which the rocker box sits on! LOL.
It’s a great looking scope. The hardwood is beautiful. I was a little suspicious of the hybrid focuser/eyepiece ring but after putting it together I believe it’s going to be just fine.
After being nervous about it, it seems collimation is going to be straight forward. I do have an auto collimator on the way for the final touch up but was able to get the scope pretty well collimated using just the Cheshire, Glatter laser and tube lug.
I got everything together and working but was so tired I ended up closing up the observatory and heading in. I fell asleep on my couch with my dogs! Lol!
How heavy is it? I have no idea. It comes apart into multiple pieces for transportation and I would not try to handle it any other way than in separate pieces, so, the overall weight doesn’t concern me.
I did pull out my little deep sky app and hopefully was able to accurately take a measurement. I got a value of 20.80 which correlates to a Bortle 4 which is correct.

Jim

Jim, it sounds as though it’s a beautiful scope, congratulations! I am positive that you are going to thoroughly enjoy the new scope waytogo.gif

#64 Spikey131

Spikey131

Apollo

Posted 23 February 2020 - 06:05 PM

If you want to make it cheaper by the pound, just add some steel counterweights.  You can buy surplus steel for around $1 per pound so $30's worth and the scope now costs only about $72 per pound.  

How's that for logic???  lol.gif

Jon

Tell me about it.  12.5” f/7 ATM Dob.

Attached Thumbnails

• 13F72475-D1AB-4CC3-A39F-682D279338A0.jpeg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics