•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PST Prism Repair question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bignerdguy

bignerdguy

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Lewisville, TX

Posted 19 January 2020 - 04:38 PM

OK so i have read about the Meade PST and how the Prism can sometimes get out of alignment and after looking at mine it does appear to be slightly off kilter.  However the threads i have seen here all say this is because the glue loosens after a while and all we need to do is re-glue it back in the right position.  However in mine the glue is NOT loose, it is solidly on there but it is still slightly off level.  Any ideas on how to go about removing the base from the prism without damaging the Prism? See the attached pic for what it looks like after disassembly.

Oh and for anyone who thinks about this, yes my Filter also is completely clouded over so i will be getting another of those too...

Attached Thumbnails

• Prizm-1.jpg
  • Prizm-2.jpg

#2 mikerepp

mikerepp

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Harwood Heights, Illinois, dark site Manistique, Michigan in UP

Posted 20 January 2020 - 03:33 PM

the glue doesn't "loosen" as in breaking bond the prism moves overtime.  Reassemble the prism back into the body.   Then push on the prism slightly past the point of being straight to the case.  Release and it will move into the position needed ie. parallel to the case.  this may take a couple of tries to get it right.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics