•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

QuInsight. The Telrad successor.

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 halx

halx

Vendor (DSO Planner)

• ****-
  • Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Albany, California, USA

Posted 19 January 2020 - 06:34 PM

"Due to the popular demand" I have created this thread to discuss the QuInsight telescope pointer, which I have acquired from Rob Brown several months ago and extreamly pleased with its performance.

Quinsight1.jpg

In a nutshell, it's a significantly improved optically, mechanically, and electrically version of the Telrad extending the "pattern matching" telescope pointing technique usability for higher light-polluted observing locations (which I'm using with Telrad and DSO Planner app for 10+ years exclusively).

Please, see the https://www.dobmod.c...-successor.html (my educated review) for more details.

Edited by halx, 19 January 2020 - 06:35 PM.

• zjc26138 likes this

#2 jeffreym

jeffreym

Vostok 1

• Loc: La Crosse, WI

Posted 19 January 2020 - 06:51 PM

I like the idea of a significantly larger outer circle to star-hop with.  Why the special base connection?  Wouldn't a standard vixen dovetail be a reasonable option?

• rowdy388 and outofsight like this

#3 Astro-Master

Astro-Master

Viking 1

• Loc: San Diego County,Ca.

Posted 19 January 2020 - 06:52 PM

Seems like it would be prone to dewing without a dew shield.

• Ernesto.Nicola and rowdy388 like this

#4 halx

halx

Vendor (DSO Planner)

• ****-
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:00 PM

I like the idea of a significantly larger outer circle to star-hop with.  Why the special base connection?  Wouldn't a standard vixen dovetail be a reasonable option?

That helps to minimize the weight while reducing the leverage. Also the battery compartment in the base needs to fit 3xAA batteries so it needs to be wide. But I believe it's totally possible to add an arbitrary accessory shoe connector there to match your other equipment if you wish so. Just ask Rob. It's the beauty of the 3d printed production queue - you can add minor individual features easily on demand.

Edited by halx, 19 January 2020 - 07:06 PM.

#5 halx

halx

Vendor (DSO Planner)

• ****-
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:04 PM

The design is in the perpetual progress, I saw Rob working on the dewshield already, but so far it's just a flat flip cover for the mirror (which would be good to have anyway). I have suggested to him an active blower type dew-preventer design, but not sure how well it might work without a dedicated fan.

Edited by halx, 19 January 2020 - 07:09 PM.

#6 rowdy388

rowdy388

Soyuz

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 19 January 2020 - 10:36 PM

It looks promising but not as bulletproof as a Telrad. How does the weight with batteries compare to a Telrad?

#7 halx

halx

Vendor (DSO Planner)

• ****-
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:33 PM

The weight is very similar to the Telrad just from the feel. However, its duplet collimator lens is of a high index glass, so it should be a bit heavier if weighted (will try to weight the two tomorrow).

From the initial look I felt the same about its "bulletproofness", however I consider it field tested, as I had it on during an outreach event once for several hours with a dozen of kids and adults bumping into it frequently due to the temporary location close at hand I used. No issues, and even the alignment survived till the very morning.

The glass seems to be most vulnerable due to the exposed edge, especially in a dark LPZ it's hard to see it from the side. I plan to print a whitish plastic "eyeguard" shelf-like add-on piece to install under it to mark the position where to bring the eye. But Telrad's mirror is open from one side too... And now I'm actually feeling that having the glass half-open from the sides is beneficial for easier pointing. Also, I know that Rob is already planning a stock dew-shield flip-lid covering the mirror's front. I think, that should be sufficient for the glass protection / safety, not only from bumps but also from fingerprints (just updated my blog page with the video from him showing how it works).

Edited by halx, 20 January 2020 - 01:14 AM.

• rowdy388 likes this

#8 greenjuice

greenjuice

Viking 1

• Loc: NW CT.

Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:42 PM

Hmmmm, looks kind of like a Dalek tongue2.gif

A75B927F-7BAD-4C12-811B-DC26E7FCCD65.jpeg

#9 SonnyE

SonnyE

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:56 PM

Well, I tried a Telrad.

But came back to my Tasco Red Dot gun sight.

It's mounted on the stalk for my guide camera.

• Jeff Struve and outofsight like this

#10 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Skylab

• ****-
  • Loc: Western Maine

Posted 20 January 2020 - 12:45 AM

Give me a laser pointer any day.,I wouldn't want that plastic thingy sticking up off my scope.,I never liked a telrad anyway.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20191215_041640.jpg

• SonnyE and Barlowbill like this

#11 halx

halx

Vendor (DSO Planner)

• ****-
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 20 January 2020 - 01:30 AM

Telrad is light years ahead of any RDF or GLP pointers. "You are holding it wrong" ©Steve Jobs Team grin.gif

97919_rlrybsxpu66eiet_full.jpeg?v=2

RDF and GLP (the RACI too actually) are based on the user guessing the position of the hidden target between stars to get in a ballpark from it.

While Telrad and QuInsight can be precisely aligned with clearly visible stars to guarantee the invisible target is centered as if you can really see it.

Thus the latter usually require tedious star hopping to the target after pointing if it's not readily visible after jerking around.

While the former usually lands right on it and require just the confirmation of the field in the EP if the target is not immediately detectable.

Edited by halx, 20 January 2020 - 01:36 AM.

• jeffreym likes this

#12 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Apollo

Posted 20 January 2020 - 10:24 PM

Ummmm...I think it still needs a little work and a lot of polishing. No offence but it looks like someone left a Telrad in a bad part of town and when they returned it was up on blocks and had been stripped. Sorry, but I just don't see the appeal. Perhaps I have become a grumpy-old-man and am very resistant to change but I love my Telrad.

Sorry Halx, but no sale!

Clear Skies!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

• Scott in NC likes this

#13 brentknight

brentknight

Apollo

• Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 20 January 2020 - 10:40 PM

A laser with binoculars is much easier and more accurate. And it never fogs up...
  • Paul J likes this

#14 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 20 January 2020 - 10:56 PM

It looks to me like an accident waiting to happen.  I wouldn't want something like this protruding from my scope, It would be easy to catch it with my face or something in the dark.  Probably break it off moving the ladder.  

Hopefully there's model with a short stalk that would allow it to be mounted closer to the scope. 

Jon

• Scott in NC, Ernesto.Nicola and airbleeder like this

#15 halx

halx

Vendor (DSO Planner)

• ****-
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 21 January 2020 - 01:26 AM

I don't sell it, folks, sorry. But would highly recommend to anyone who knows how to properly use the Telrad (read: not as a glorified red dot) as it's truly an improvement optically and mechanically. Especially as the digital star chart supporting it is on the way already.

I have been myself skeptical too from seeing its images at first. But loved it from the first try. It was almost the same eye-opening thrill to me as going from a 68 deg EP to 100 deg Ethos some years ago! (but if you are not into Telrad you wouldn't understand anyway, so you should probably imagine an uber-powerful liquid nitrogen-cooled laser-pointer visible from the Moon surface lol.gif).

It was initially mounted between the EP and RACI shoe (best place to securely tape it down temporarily) thus had people kicking it often. But mounted on the top side edge now it's not getting into my way in any observing/pointing position. In fact, I felt it could benefit from even taller tower then it is now. However, I plan to move it to the side (under the EP) again where I have my Telrad mounted, but farther at the rim. That might create an interference due to its height, but also the plan is to use it as the OTA pushing handle when I'm at the EP. Will see how it works soon.

Edited by halx, 21 January 2020 - 01:26 AM.

#16 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 21 January 2020 - 08:05 AM

The glass seems to be most vulnerable due to the exposed edge, especially in a dark LPZ it's hard to see it from the side. I plan to print a whitish plastic "eyeguard" shelf-like add-on piece to install under it to mark the position where to bring the eye. But Telrad's mirror is open from one side too... And now I'm actually feeling that having the glass half-open from the sides is beneficial for easier pointing. Also, I know that Rob is already planning a stock dew-shield flip-lid covering the mirror's front. I think, that should be sufficient for the glass protection / safety, not only from bumps but also from fingerprints (just updated my blog page with the video from him showing how it works).

I believe the unprotected glass edges were discussed some time ago in a previous discussion of this device. 

Since the device is so tall, the unprotected glass is unlikely to nestled down along the the OTA where it's location provides protection.  I think the protection has to be permanent, not optional.

Jon

#17 Dick Jacobson

Dick Jacobson

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Cottage Grove, Minnesota, USA

Posted 21 January 2020 - 09:08 AM

I like this! The problem of bumping into the glass in the dark can be solved by making a flexible base. That's what I did when I mounted a Rigel Quickfinder on a tall stalk. It stuck out about a foot from the tube and I was constantly bumping into it, so I made the stalk out of a thin aluminum bar which would "give" and then snap back when bumped. The corners on the QuInsight glass should be rounded and ground smooth and ideally it should be tempered glass which is unlikely to break.

• halx likes this

#18 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 21 January 2020 - 09:25 AM

I like this! The problem of bumping into the glass in the dark can be solved by making a flexible base. That's what I did when I mounted a Rigel Quickfinder on a tall stalk. It stuck out about a foot from the tube and I was constantly bumping into it, so I made the stalk out of a thin aluminum bar which would "give" and then snap back when bumped. The corners on the QuInsight glass should be rounded and ground smooth and ideally it should be tempered glass which is unlikely to break.

That might protect the device but it wont protect your face or eye if your happen to tangle with it. 

Jon

• Doug Culbertson, Ernesto.Nicola, airbleeder and 1 other like this

#19 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Vanguard

Posted 21 January 2020 - 09:39 AM

Hopefully there's model with a short stalk that would allow it to be mounted closer to the scope. 

That, for me, would negate one of the advantages of this one. I'm pretty careful with my equipment.  It'll be fine. 

• zjc26138 likes this

#20 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Vanguard

Posted 21 January 2020 - 09:42 AM

That might protect the device but it wont protect your face or eye if your happen to tangle with it. 

Jon

As I picture where this would sit on my tube, full front, straight on top, I can't think of any natural motions of my body, any part, that would come close that location.  

• halx and Kunama like this

#21 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 21 January 2020 - 12:43 PM

As I picture where this would sit on my tube, full front, straight on top, I can't think of any natural motions of my body, any part, that would come close that location.  

That's not where it would be on my scopes. Think of a larger scope, the finder can't be on top, it has to be on the side where it can easily reached while viewing through the main eyepiece and the RACI finder.  It's going to be sticking out at 45 degrees or less.  With my 22 inch, it would be almost horizontal.  The wider reticule has some advantages but I would want it much closer to the scope and the glass protected.

Jon

#22 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Vanguard

Posted 21 January 2020 - 01:03 PM

That's not where it would be on my scopes. Think of a larger scope, the finder can't be on top, it has to be on the side where it can easily reached while viewing through the main eyepiece and the RACI finder.  It's going to be sticking out at 45 degrees or less.  With my 22 inch, it would be almost horizontal.  The wider reticule has some advantages but I would want it much closer to the scope and the glass protected.

Jon

Yes, with that large of a scope even a Telrad, while close to the OTA, would still be easily viewed through without too much contortion.

But for those of us with scopes 12" or smaller (I dare say the majority), that's not the case.  With these size scopes, the front end of the tube is much closer to the ground and would require more of a bend-over-twist type of movement to look through.  That is where this tall finder will find it's greatest usefulness.

So I guess you can ignore this thread now.  

#23 halx

halx

Vendor (DSO Planner)

• ****-
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 21 January 2020 - 01:05 PM

By the way, the most recent design has the bottom of the glass plate enclosed in the frame. And as I have mentioned already, the beauty of a 3D printing manufacturing train is the ease of minor modifications by request. We all have different flows. So just draw how you see the glass made safer for you and don't hesitate to ask. I believe enclosing sides as in Telrad should be trivial (but I don't see it crucial for me personally at all). Also, you can attach a typically used with Telrad foam/neoprene arch-shaped dew shield around the top, which should provide an ultimate safety if you see a concern there, Jon.

On mine I plan adding a visibility aid similar to what I have on my stock 50x8 RACI tiny EP end. That should be enough to avoid poking out an eye in the dark until I get used to the new pointer on my OTA.

Edited by halx, 21 January 2020 - 01:18 PM.

#24 halx

halx

Vendor (DSO Planner)

• ****-
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 21 January 2020 - 01:09 PM

I like this! The problem of bumping into the glass in the dark can be solved by making a flexible base...

That's ingenious! I can see a trivial stiff hinge printed to accept the base giving to bumps along the axis and allowing to fold the tower down when transported.

Edited by halx, 21 January 2020 - 01:22 PM.

#25 Myk Rian

Myk Rian

Apollo

• Loc: Hartland, Michigan

Posted 21 January 2020 - 01:30 PM

You can use aaa batteries, or a single 3.7 v lithium to power it. Then the base may be designed to fit into a standard dovetail

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics