•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

So is FK-61 glass the new hipster crown & flint?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vidrazor

vidrazor

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:15 PM

I've stumbled upon the Astro-Tech AT80ED that is using FK-61 glass, and a search around turned not much other than it's kinda, sorta, similar to FPL-51. The scope seems a bargain for the price, if a bit on the heavy side for my tracker. So is FK-61 just reconstituted crown & flint, or is it a different animal? I was wondering if the AT-80ED is worth it, or should I stick with FPL-51/FPL-53 scopes?

Thanks

#2 calypsob

calypsob

Aurora

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:34 PM

Its really doesnt matter. All of it corrects color fine, the problem I see is iron cross stars in cheaper glass.

#3 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:30 PM

I've stumbled upon the Astro-Tech AT80ED that is using FK-61 glass, and a search around turned not much other than it's kinda, sorta, similar to FPL-51. The scope seems a bargain for the price, if a bit on the heavy side for my tracker. So is FK-61 just reconstituted crown & flint, or is it a different animal?

Thanks

It's a simple doublet, hence the cost, you'd be much better off going to the 80EDT

#4 vidrazor

vidrazor

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 January 2020 - 07:17 AM

It's a simple doublet, hence the cost, you'd be much better off going to the 80EDT

I was wondering about what would make a suitable flat field corrector for the AT80ED. Triplets like the AT80EDT are typically not corrected well enough for astrophotography and need flat lield correctors as well.

Edited by vidrazor, 20 January 2020 - 07:27 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics