•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Viewing Spots near Naples, FL

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Synapsno

Synapsno

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:44 PM

Anyone have any suggestions for viewing spots near Naples, FL? I will be down there tomorrow for work and it looks like the weather may cooperate :) 

Thanks! 

-Mark 

#2 Loren Gibson

Loren Gibson

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Florida, USA

Posted 20 January 2020 - 02:42 PM

I hope this response isn't too late. Consider Kirby Storter Roadside Park off U.S. 41, Tamiami Trail. 25°52'09.0"N 81°09'15.3"W. Depending upon where in Naples you are, it's about a one hour drive.

Decently dark site, although I think it got worse during the dozen or so years that I visited it. Excellent low horizons. Traffic on US 41 should attenuate fairly rapidly on a weeknight, I would think.

Loren

Edited by Loren Gibson, 20 January 2020 - 02:45 PM.

#3 Synapsno

Synapsno

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida

Posted 20 January 2020 - 05:33 PM

Excellent!! Thank you. I was looking at places along 41 but was unsure about access etc. I'll surely check it out. 

Thanks!

Mark 

#4 MellonLake

MellonLake

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 27 January 2020 - 05:35 PM

Try the south end of county 841, south off of US 41 near Ochopee. Also known as Dona drive. It ends in a loop well south of the highway. Good viewing. I was there in Dec and it was quite dark. Maybe a little light pollution to the west. No visible made lights. Bring bug spray!! Lots of mosquitoes anywhere in the Everglades. The bugs were bad and I spend my summers in the Canadian bush.

#5 Loren Gibson

Loren Gibson

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Florida, USA

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:20 PM

I went to Dona Drive once, but I took the gravel driveway going off to the east and south, going back the middle of what appeared to be a wide spoils bank. My setup would have been a couple hundred yards east of that loop at the end of Dona Drive that you mention.

It was midsummer, and the mosquitoes were indeed horrible, starting 1/2 hour after sunset. The collective, full-time whine from the swarm was so loud that all other noises, natural (alligators and birds) and man made (occasional cars on Tamiami Trail, jet planes approaching MIA) alike, were drowned out. I gave up on the event after an hour or so. My car filled up with many hundreds of mosquitoes all over the interior in the time it took me to pack my scope. I became very ill for a day or two several days later.

I stopped at Kirby Storter Roadside Park on the way home from Dona Drive and spent a little time there just naked-eye stargazing. The mosquitoes there were actually quite subdued. I never went back to Dona Drive. lol.gif

Loren

• Chucky likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics