•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Introduction to CN Forum

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 phoodieman

phoodieman

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:44 PM

I have been lurking here a while and decided to post an introduction.  I started with a Meade NG 130 MM Reflector.  With experience on that scope I decided to move up to a Celestron 8SE with a goto mount.  I decided to add an autofocuser, and a wifi module.  I use a Dell laptop with a wireless handheld mouse with Celestron CPWI software to control it.  I 3D print so I replaced the hand held remote bay with a splitter to hold the autofocus and wifi port.  I can slew to the zenith even with 2 inch eyepieces without interference.  I still have the AUX port on the goto base in case I want to use the hand held remote.  I am using a Telrad finder currently.  For power for the scope I bought a Black and Decker 300 Amp Jumpstarter.  It's rechargeable so I don't have to worry about batteries or tripping on an AC adapter.  I can get two fairly decent sessions before I have to recharge.  

Phoodieman

Attached Thumbnails

• SetUpWideShot.png
  • PortArangement.png
  • TelradView.png

#2 JohnBear

JohnBear

Vostok 1

• Loc: Sandy, Utah

Posted 19 January 2020 - 09:22 PM

Welcome to CN Phoodieman, Very nice setup you have there - creative functional and very nice looking.

With all the 6/8 SE owners out there you can probably start a small business selling your SE remote bay port adapters in the CN classifieds someday soon, and I would probably be a customer.

#3 phoodieman

phoodieman

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 January 2020 - 12:48 AM

Welcome to CN Phoodieman, Very nice setup you have there - creative functional and very nice looking.

With all the 6/8 SE owners out there you can probably start a small business selling your SE remote bay port adapters in the CN classifieds someday soon, and I would probably be a customer.

I never considered trying to market the port adapter.  I also designed an alternate mount for the Telrad finder.  I wasn't about to put double stick tape on my OTA.  Plus it eliminated the bulky base mount it had and brought it down closer to the centerline of the scope.  I camp frequently to find the darkest views.  The Celestron cases were so expensive I took a hint from another member and bought these catering industry food transporters.  The OTA shipping box using the foam inserts fits perfectly in one.  The goto in the same case has a gap, but I use that to store all the cablements and it holds the Telrad as well.  It works well in the  field.  I plan on exploring astro photography eventually but I much prefer the "real" thing.  

Phoodieman

Attached Thumbnails

• OTAINCASE.png
  • PACKEDKIT.png
  • GOTOCASED.png

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics