•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Auto Focuser Thoughts and Recommendations.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lostone

Lostone

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ.

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:52 PM

I have an Esprit 100ED and have been thinking of adding an auto focuser.  I have looked at both Pegasus and the Primaluce Lab focusers.  I also looked at the ZWO and quickly tossed it out of the ring due to too many negative reviews about it with the Esprit line.  I'm looking for one that is easy to install and easy to use and setup in software.  I also looked at the Moonlite focusers and my head was spinning trying to figure out what would be best. I like their Night Crawler, but not the high price tag.

If you have experience with either of these or can recommend another focuser.

Thanks

#2 Marcelofig

Marcelofig

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 January 2020 - 09:38 PM

If you want the best, go for the Moonlite, of course.

That said, the Esprit 100 comes with a very good focuser and adding the Focuscube 2 works wonders. You'll probably need to buy additional screws, since the ones it comes with are very short, I bought these (recently I think they're included, but I guess there's no way of knowing if they come in the box or not).

Look at this thread (it says Esprit 120, but it's the same for the Espit 100).

https://www.cloudyni...-esprit-120-ed/

#3 SonnyE

SonnyE

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 19 January 2020 - 10:44 PM

I made my own with TekkyDave's advice, and Arduino UNO parts. I jumped in HERE.

Best part was my left turn and making mine fully 12 volt for better torque.

Over 23,000 steps of focusing (IIRC. might have been closer to 25,000). Each is .00123 inches of movement (really tiny steps).

I love having an electronic focuser!

Definitely a vast improvement!

#4 Lonkero

Lonkero

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 January 2020 - 01:35 PM

I got Sesto senso for my Esprit120, simple to install and easy to use. And you can still use the manual focus cause its installed in the microshaft

#5 Pauls72

Pauls72

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: LaPorte, IN USA

Posted 20 January 2020 - 02:17 PM

Just like SonnyE, I made my own for my RC.

https://stargazerslo...-mark2/page/37/

Focuser-Finisheds.jpg

FocuserSmall.jpg

I also bought a ZWO for my William Optics APO and had some issues installing it.

Edited by Pauls72, 20 January 2020 - 02:18 PM.

• SonnyE likes this

#6 RaulTheRat

RaulTheRat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 January 2020 - 02:26 PM

When I get an esprit I'll be going with an Optec focuslynx and an SW30 motor, I don't think you can do better than that but they are not cheap.

I didn't know the Sesto senso allowed manual focusing whilst installed - is it as smooth as if it weren't there (ie does it totally disengage from the focusing shaft when using manual focus) or does it affect the smoothness?

#7 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 20 January 2020 - 03:47 PM

MoonLite focusers are very good. 

Head spinning? Just email them, tell them what you have and what you want to do. You will get a personal reply in a day (or maybe two) listing the exact parts you need.  I did that. Much better than kind of guessing what you really need.

• SonnyE and Lostone like this

#8 RandallK

RandallK

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 20 January 2020 - 10:37 PM

I was reluctant to get an autofocuser....probably more to being unsure of the out come. Alas...came Christmas and some money in the booty. Having everything I need for my 16 years of being in astronomy/astrophotography....I spotted the Pegasus V2. Price was right but I was still afraid of the "one size fits all". I decided to get in touch with Angelos at Pegasus to see if I could install his product on my William Optics Z103. After exchanging images and measurements into the wee hours of the morning, Angelo decided that it could be adapted to my scope. All the fussing and worrying was totally diminished as the installation took all of about 15 minutes. I fired up both the Native driver and then the ASCOM driver and all worked.. I could see the focuser moving in and out. I was sold on the installation and then I just finished getting the hand controller for the unit as well. I have not yet tried it in clear skies because we haven't had any for a heck of a long time. Can't wait to get out there and try it in SGP.

• SonnyE and Lostone like this

#9 SonnyE

SonnyE

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 20 January 2020 - 10:53 PM

MoonLite focusers are very good. 

Head spinning? Just email them, tell them what you have and what you want to do. You will get a personal reply in a day (or maybe two) listing the exact parts you need.  I did that. Much better than kind of guessing what you really need.

But, but, that's cheating! Half the fun is going mad.

Then you cry wolf and get help. laugh.gif

It is rather daunting swimming through the process. I did it once. But alas, I had to go the other route.

Telling the CFO I needed 3/4 of the price of my telescope just so I could focus it... are you familiar with someone named Bobbitt?

Still, I think I would have floundered without having electronic focusing. Highly recommended. (However you get there)

• Robby9newbie likes this

#10 Lostone

Lostone

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ.

Posted 20 January 2020 - 11:16 PM

Pegasus Astro replied to my inquire and since I have there UPBv2 I don't need the FocusCubev2  I just need there Focus Motor Kit and it will plug directly into my UPBv2 for the controler.  That's a saving of over 1/2 $304 for the Focus Cube v2 and $130 for the FMKv2.  

Waiting to hear back from MoonLite and Primaluce Lab.

#11 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 21 January 2020 - 01:44 AM

Telling the CFO I needed 3/4 of the price of my telescope just so I could focus it... are you familiar with someone named Bobbitt?

Still, I think I would have floundered without having electronic focusing. Highly recommended. (However you get there)

Tell the boss that it is for your health. You can sleep more if AF is running.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics