•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astrophotography Tool and CGEM Mount

astrophotography Celestron equipment
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 seanas3

seanas3

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 January 2020 - 09:23 AM

Something I observed with my equipment yesterday. for a couple weeks now I had been putting my CGEM mount in hibernate mode. But then noticed last night that when I went to view Rigel, the star was "flying" through my field of view. I thought well maybe the mount needs a polar alignment. So I pointed it at Diphda in the west, even then the star was moving rather quickly. I was also telling the APT SW to sync the mount to a known position in the sky. So I then got idea of trying to just do a sky alignment on the mount again which I did, and all of the sudden it started tracking the stars again.

So here is my question, does using the APT SW to sync the location to the mount throw off the mounts ability to track stars?

Thank you

Sean

#2 3snows

3snows

Mariner 2

• Loc: Boston, MA

Posted 20 January 2020 - 10:18 AM

That has not been my experience with either the AVX or now with the EQ6-R mount.  I routinely sync the location with APT after a plate solve and the mount continues to track.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, Celestron, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics