•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

William Optics EX Touch mount options - dual vs single ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 vkhastro1

vkhastro1

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Vankleek Hill, Ontario, Canada

Posted 20 January 2020 - 10:09 AM

I have an original William Optics (AOK Swiss) silver coloured Alt-Az mount

It presently has the Vixen style saddle on one side.

The opposite side has a threaded counterweight bar with counterweights (several various sizes available).

The opposite side has two threaded holes (35mm apart) that can also accept a dovetail saddle.

The mount is located on an Oberwerk wooden tripod with extendable legs.

Is it worth-while to buy an extra dovetail saddle (thinking a dual - Losmandy/Vixen version) ?

How easy is the balancing for a dual scope option (one scope on each side) ?

Can the original Vixen style dovetail saddle be removed (to be upgraded to a dual saddle) since no removable mounting screws are present ?

Edited by vkhastro1, 20 January 2020 - 10:17 AM.

• timmbottoni likes this

#2 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 20 January 2020 - 01:55 PM

Gary, I had that same mount for several years.

I used it in dual mode but perfect alignment was impossible due to flex (cone error) and even equaling the Alt for both.

I got around this by using a secondary OTA with double the FOV than the primary OTA. Then I centered objects with the primary and it was

still visible in the secondary saddle OTA.

Never had an issue balancing although if you're out by a large amount the clutches won't hold.

This was one mount were I valued the TV Equalizer as I used it for the Delos and the switching to the 31T5 (or similar) made for close enough/equal weight.

Without it the OTA needed to be rebalanced.

The OEM vixen saddle + axel is machined from one peice thus not changable.

I used a Vixen to Losmandy adapter a few times to make it compatible with the Losmandy Saddle .

#3 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

• Loc: W Chicago suburbs, IL USA

Posted 20 January 2020 - 08:26 PM

Hi,

I have had mine set up to use as a dual mount for various applications.  It's a bit tricky to get them perfectly aligned, but getting them close enough isn't hard at all.  I have done it with my WO FD80 and C8 at the same time, and I have used it for events like the Total Eclipse as shown in this Z61 review post.

The rotation is adjusted by loosening the small metric set allen set screws.

https://www.cloudyni...utions-welcome/

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics