•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Carte Du Ciel telescope connection

Celestron equipment mount planetarium software
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wboeck

wboeck

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Nebraska

Posted 20 January 2020 - 12:00 PM

While connecting my CGEM mount via Carte Du Ciel, the mount shows the bullseye in Carte Du Ciel towards the south instead of the north. It even shows it below the horizon. I would think it would show it near Polaris. Once I do an alignment it works. However, when I select Park in Carte Du Ciel it goes back to the spot to the south. I know the location is correct in CDC so I have no idea what is causing this. I am using a laptop with Windows 10. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

• Carte Du Ciel connect computer below horizon.PNG

#2 Patrick Chevalley

Patrick Chevalley

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 20 January 2020 - 02:27 PM

From the screenshot it look like your telescope driver report RA=12 and DEC=0 when it is not initialized, so CdC show the telescope mark at this position.

The solution is simply to not connect the telescope to the computer until the handpad alignment is complete.

Many telescope have this requirement.

#3 wboeck

wboeck

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 20 January 2020 - 09:15 PM

Thanks, I tried again to connect my CGEM in cDc after aligning while using NEXREMOTE and my windows 10 laptop. It worked fine until I parked it using cDc. It pointed below the horizon. NEXREMOTE parks it without  any problems. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200120_201150.jpg

#4 Patrick Chevalley

Patrick Chevalley

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 21 January 2020 - 05:49 AM

When you park the mount, CdC just call the ASCOM function Park. This function has no parameter and CdC ignore how to really park the mount, this is the job of the driver.

You must be sure the park position is defined in the ASCOM.Celestron.Telescope  driver you use or in the handpad this driver interface with.

NexRemote is a totally different thing and if you define the park position there it is probably not used by the ASCOM driver.

Probably people using Celestron mount can give you more precise information how all of this software interacts.

#5 wboeck

wboeck

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 21 January 2020 - 02:25 PM

I will try it without NEXREMOTE and see what happens. 

#6 wboeck

wboeck

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 21 January 2020 - 09:06 PM

I tried parking the mount without NEXREMOTE and only connected to the the handset. It did the same and parked with the scope pointing below the horizon. It parks fine using the HC and NEXREMOTE.  I have no idea how to define the park position in ASCOM. It appears that I should not use the park in CdC.

Attached Thumbnails

• Carte Du Ciel error only HC.PNG.png

#7 wboeck

wboeck

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 22 January 2020 - 01:42 PM

I did some checking in the CdC and ASCOM groups.io user groups and it appears to have been an issue since 2011. The Park command in CdC does not work with celestron mounts. I was hoping to use my CGEM as I do with my EQ8 with EQMOD which allows me to skip initial alignment stars by just issuing a goto in CdC to a close star and then perform a sequence using SGP or plate solving by Astrotortilla. Looks like the Celestron ASCOM driver is not robust enough to let you tell it that you are close to PA so it skips alignment and lets you directly plate solve. I guess you have to perform a bogus two star alignment using the HC or NEXREMOTE to make it align in CdC and then ignore the "Park" command in CdC. It is lucky that NEXREMOTE is still working Windows 10.

#8 wboeck

wboeck

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 23 January 2020 - 07:33 AM

I found that using the celestron program CPWI works with CdC by selecting it as the ASCOM driver. You must use the starsense HC or the new Nexstar+ HC. The older Nexstar HC do not work with CPWI. After starting both programs and connecting the telescope in CdC,  the scope position in CdC is close to Polaris.  It allows to goto stars and platesolve. The "park" command in CdC gets it back close to the index position but not exactly. It is a convoluted way to make it work. A better ASCOM driver would be much better. Since I don't have the new Nexstar+ HC I am going to stick with the NEXREMOTE software. A bogus two star alignment is easier than using CPWI as the ASCOM driver. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, equipment, mount, planetarium software

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics