•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Any ALT/AZ CPC type 12-14" SCT Scopes in the works?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Procyon

Procyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Eastern Canada

Posted 20 January 2020 - 12:37 PM

Or just wishful thinking? 

#2 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 20 January 2020 - 01:40 PM

Only Meade currently available..  Celestron only does the 11" max as that's most people will be able to handle.

#3 luxo II

luxo II

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 20 January 2020 - 04:24 PM

The CPC-11” is quite a hefty lift and I’ve also tried a Meade LX200 12” - it’s too big and heavy to lift safely in one piece - you’re quite likely to injomire your back or damage the scope. And I’m 196cm and quite strong. A lot of these end up being de-forked partly because of the weight and also because the mounts failed one way or another.

in this respect there is some sense in separating an OTA that may last 15–20 years or more from the mount, which is likely to have a life of 10 years or so, limited either by failure, or the desire to upgrade to something more technologically advanced.

If you look at gear from 20-30 years ago an awful lot has changed in mounts, and it will continue.

Edited by luxo II, 20 January 2020 - 04:25 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics