•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

possible new meteorite EIFEL Germany

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 stonesnuffer

stonesnuffer

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 January 2020 - 03:35 PM

Hello every one, i have found an very unusual rock from the eifel region in germany. It is being studiet in Polen at the moment and waiting for the results. If anyone has an idea what this could be. I would love to hear it, the rocks experts in holland could'nt id the rock.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC09303.JPG

Edited by stonesnuffer, 20 January 2020 - 03:42 PM.

• ShaulaB likes this

#2 goodricke1

goodricke1

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ireland

Posted 20 January 2020 - 03:49 PM

There was a recent (Jan 5) spectacular fireball over Germany which they think might have dropped meteorites:

https://www.youtube....ncIlOTJ852yqy:6

edit: yours looks much less recent though.

Edited by goodricke1, 20 January 2020 - 03:52 PM.

#3 stonesnuffer

stonesnuffer

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 January 2020 - 02:24 AM

Hello goodrick1, yes that is thrue. my stone is at least a couple of 1000 years old. I mean that it is on earth. Here is an photo of the whole stone.it ways 10+kilo.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC09161.JPG

#4 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • Loc: Oort Cloud 9

Posted 21 January 2020 - 08:29 AM

It's not a meteorite. It could be an industrial slag. It's an odd specimen and I don't know exactly what it is, but it's definitely not a meteorite.

Best regards and clear skies,

MikeG

Edited by Glassthrower, 21 January 2020 - 08:29 AM.

• lee14, beggarly and j.gardavsky like this

#5 stonesnuffer

stonesnuffer

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 January 2020 - 09:29 AM

Hello Glassthrower, i can absolute say that this is a natural rock and not man made. That has been stated in the natural history museum and can be seen by the natural crystal formation in the rock.

#6 lee14

lee14

Viking 1

• Loc: CNY

Posted 21 January 2020 - 10:44 AM

Yes, and the type of 'crystal' formation visible here is one of the features that rule out classification as a meteorite.

Lee

• j.gardavsky likes this

#7 stonesnuffer

stonesnuffer

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 January 2020 - 12:02 PM

we will no for sure when the test results come in from polen.

#8 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Viking 1

• Loc: Germany

Posted 21 January 2020 - 04:09 PM

Eifel in Germany is a volcanic area.

That stone is looking like a sort of volcanic conglomerate.

Googling in Eifel+geology, you will find quite a lot of infos.

Othewise, it is a nice collectible piece of stone, anyway,

JG

• peter scherff, lee14 and Jeff Struve like this

#9 stonesnuffer

stonesnuffer

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 January 2020 - 04:13 AM

Eifel in Germany is a volcanic area.

That stone is looking like a sort of volcanic conglomerate.

Googling in Eifel+geology, you will find quite a lot of infos.

Othewise, it is a nice collectible piece of stone, anyway,

JG

Thank you for your answer, it will be helpfull. What is your opinion about the ironsulfide inclusions. Could it be pyrite? A.

• j.gardavsky likes this

#10 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Viking 1

• Loc: Germany

Posted 22 January 2020 - 04:37 AM

Thank you for your answer, it will be helpfull. What is your opinion about the ironsulfide inclusions. Could it be pyrite? A.

I am not specialized in the Eifel geology, so I can't tell,

my another hobby is the microscopy of the paleontology specimen, and even then, very narrow specialized.

The iron sulfide inclusions in your specimen make it even more interesting.

Hoping, somebody can help,

JG

• stonesnuffer likes this

#11 stonesnuffer

stonesnuffer

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 January 2020 - 02:45 AM

It's not a meteorite. It could be an industrial slag. It's an odd specimen and I don't know exactly what it is, but it's definitely not a meteorite.

Best regards and clear skies,

MikeG

That is a very interesting statement, because how can you be a 100% sure that it is not a meteorite if you don't know what it could be??There have been alot of strange meteorites found from which all experts thought it was not a meteorite, because of it's strange aparence.

• StrStrck likes this

#12 lee14

lee14

Viking 1

Posted 24 January 2020 - 11:00 AM

That is a very interesting statement, because how can you be a 100% sure that it is not a meteorite if you don't know what it could be??There have been alot of strange meteorites found from which all experts thought it was not a meteorite, because of it's strange aparence.

That is flawed logic. It is certainly possible to conclude what something is not, without being able to determine what it is

Lee

• mark8888 likes this

#13 StrStrck

StrStrck

Apollo

• Loc: Denmark

Posted 24 January 2020 - 11:34 AM

That is flawed logic. It is certainly possible to conclude what something is not, without being able to determine what it is

Lee

It’s not an elephant...

Can’t wait for the lab results. I’m very excited about what it could be! 

#14 stonesnuffer

stonesnuffer

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 January 2020 - 07:09 AM

It’s not an elephant...

Can’t wait for the lab results. I’m very excited about what it could be! 

Yes so am i, but have to wait another 1,5 week foor test results. Thanks for liking my post. will keep you updated

• StrStrck likes this

#15 stonesnuffer

stonesnuffer

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 January 2020 - 11:32 AM

photo end cut

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC09298.JPG

• StrStrck and j.gardavsky like this

#16 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • Loc: Oort Cloud 9

Posted 28 January 2020 - 09:55 AM

You don't need to wait for test results. I can say with 100% certainty, that is not a meteorite.

At best, it might be an impactite, but it's certainly not a meteorite.

• lee14 likes this

#17 stonesnuffer

stonesnuffer

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 January 2020 - 01:41 PM

You don't need to wait for test results. I can say with 100% certainty, that is not a meteorite.

At best, it might be an impactite, but it's certainly not a meteorite.

we will wait and see. what ever it is it's a unknown piece

#18 StrStrck

StrStrck

Apollo

Posted 28 January 2020 - 02:09 PM

For some people the most important thing here is to be right about their assumption. And oh the glory when they’re right! This is not about being right. It’s about being excited over a strange rock, and what could it be. So what if it’s not from outer space. 

#19 lee14

lee14

Viking 1

Posted 28 January 2020 - 02:59 PM

It's not about assumption, it's about experience, visual analysis, and providing an informed judgement. Interesting specimen? Sure. Meteorite, no. I'd agree about the possibility of an impactite, they come in wide range of appearances and compositions. I also wouldn't exclude the possibility of a terrestrial conglomerate, though it does more resemble a breccia. Lab analysis can be definitive, but unless it's a geology or meteoritics lab, done by someone with experience with meteorites, it's just another opinion. Contrary to statements in previous posts, not all meteorites contain nickel, iron, or any metal at all. Most do, but certainly not all. Here's a useful analogy from machine learning. You can 'teach' a computer to determine if a character is a letter 'A', by running it through an algorithm that assigns the expected characteristics of an 'A', or, you can 'show' the computer thousands of examples of 'A's and with the proper programing, allow the computer to 'learn' how an 'A' may appear. The latter method proves to be far superior. Keep this in mind when dismissing a judgement made by someone who has handled tens of thousands of genuine meteorites, against an analysis that shows commonality in elements, compounds, or minerals between terrestrial rocks and meteorites. Form matters.

Lee

• Glassthrower and mark8888 like this

#20 stonesnuffer

stonesnuffer

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 January 2020 - 03:16 PM

For some people the most important thing here is to be right about their assumption. And oh the glory when they’re right! This is not about being right. It’s about being excited over a strange rock, and what could it be. So what if it’s not from outer space. 

Yep, that is the right way to do it. i agree totaly. We won't now what it truly is until it is proven by the lab to be a meteorite or something else. And trust me, i have done alot of homework and connecting with the best rock experts in the netherlands to rule out earth or manmade objects.

#21 stonesnuffer

stonesnuffer

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 January 2020 - 03:36 PM

It's not about assumption, it's about experience, visual analysis, and providing an informed judgement. Interesting specimen? Sure. Meteorite, no. I'd agree about the possibility of an impactite, they come in wide range of appearances and compositions. I also wouldn't exclude the possibility of a terrestrial conglomerate, though it does more resemble a breccia. Lab analysis can be definitive, but unless it's a geology or meteoritics lab, done by someone with experience with meteorites, it's just another opinion. Contrary to statements in previous posts, not all meteorites contain nickel, iron, or any metal at all. Most do, but certainly not all. Here's a useful analogy from machine learning. You can 'teach' a computer to determine if a character is a letter 'A', by running it through an algorithm that assigns the expected characteristics of an 'A', or, you can 'show' the computer thousands of examples of 'A's and with the proper programing, allow the computer to 'learn' how an 'A' may appear. The latter method proves to be far superior. Keep this in mind when dismissing a judgement made by someone who has handled tens of thousands of genuine meteorites, against an analysis that shows commonality in elements, compounds, or minerals between terrestrial rocks and meteorites. Form matters.

Lee

Oke all well and thru, but the fact is that at this moment no body has ever seen a rock like mine and thus there can be only speculation what it could be. even when you are an expierenced meteorite hunter. I have got microscope photo's which show the the rock is natural, but can't download them because there to big qua Kb.

#22 StrStrck

StrStrck

Apollo

Posted 28 January 2020 - 03:37 PM

Lee

One assumption/opinion/judgement per expert should suffice (unless it is directly challenged), and one should value those. And the form?! Definitely matters. Your taking time to elaborate is an elegant way to go about it.

And the test result is more than showing if it is or is not a meteorite, but also what it is. So, the test is not unnecessary to the OP and the curious. Merely focusing on it not being a meorite seems a waste of opportunity to have a better discussion. I have to look up breccia now, thankswaytogo.gif

#23 lee14

lee14

Viking 1

Posted 28 January 2020 - 03:51 PM

Here are a couple of impactite images. They're not precisely the same as the OP specimen, and the uncut piece would be more revealing if it was cut and polished, but the overall appearance is remarkably similar. Again, a test result can rule out 'meteorite', and while it may not be possible to identify what it is, beyond the individual components, that makes it most definitely an 'earth rock'.

Lee

Attached Thumbnails

• images.jpg
  • Unknown 2.jpg

Edited by lee14, 28 January 2020 - 04:01 PM.

• StrStrck likes this

#24 stonesnuffer

stonesnuffer

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 January 2020 - 08:26 AM

Maybe these pictures will give a better idea of the rock, by the way it sweats salts??

#25 stonesnuffer

stonesnuffer

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 January 2020 - 08:28 AM

oops forgot the photo's

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00563.JPG
  • DSC00566.JPG

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics