•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What is the Meade #777 OAG eyepiece arm thread size?

astrophotography equipment imaging Meade
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 lmclouth

lmclouth

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Davison, MI

Posted 20 January 2020 - 08:38 PM

I have had the Meade #777 OAG for a long time and I just got an SvBONY helical focuser from eBay.  I was sure it would just thread onto the eyepiece/guide camera holder arm of the #777 after I unscrewed the extension part.  But no -- apparently the threads on that part of the #777 is 35mm (or something) and the helical focuser threads are M36x1.

Does anyone know what thread size is for the #777 eyepiece/guide camera holder arm?

And could anyone machine or 3D print an adapter to go from the M36x1 to whatever the Meade #777 holder arm threads?

This is the SvBONY helical focuser:

https://www.ebay.com...pe/192248497201

Here is the eyepiece/guide camera holder arm of the Meade #777:

https://1.bp.blogspo...0513_073345.jpg

Thank you very much for any help you can offer.

Lamar

#2 orangeusa

orangeusa

Mariner 2

• Loc: Orange, CA

Posted 20 January 2020 - 08:49 PM

This fellow may be able to help you. He does 3D custom parts.. I had him make 2 parts for me.

https://www.cloudyni...2244-dr-benway/

#3 dreeves2015

dreeves2015

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma City, OK 73162

Posted 21 January 2020 - 10:14 AM

I have had the Meade #777 OAG for a long time and I just got an SvBONY helical focuser from eBay.  I was sure it would just thread onto the eyepiece/guide camera holder arm of the #777 after I unscrewed the extension part.  But no -- apparently the threads on that part of the #777 is 35mm (or something) and the helical focuser threads are M36x1.

Does anyone know what thread size is for the #777 eyepiece/guide camera holder arm?

And could anyone machine or 3D print an adapter to go from the M36x1 to whatever the Meade #777 holder arm threads?

This is the SvBONY helical focuser:

https://www.ebay.com...pe/192248497201

Here is the eyepiece/guide camera holder arm of the Meade #777:

https://1.bp.blogspo...0513_073345.jpg

Thank you very much for any help you can offer.

Lamar

I emailed Meade's customer service on 1-17-2020 asking the service rep i have been working with for another issue, if Meade has an engineering archive for my old Ultra Wedge as i wanted to take the declination handles off so i could removed the tangent pin and make the wedge lay flat so i could make a pier plate for it. He sent me an engineering file of the bottom half of the wedge which mounts to the pier. I had to download the program to view it, but he gave me the link for that as well. Once i opened the file up, it had every possible measurement for that part, holes, diameter of holes, lengths, thickness' everything. Was pretty cool.

If you can't find the thread size here, email their customer support and ask them for it. Or even call them. Their email answer time is like 1-2 days and wait time on phone has been about 5 mins. 

#4 lmclouth

lmclouth

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 21 January 2020 - 10:36 AM

I emailed Meade's customer service on 1-17-2020 asking the service rep i have been working with for another issue, if Meade has an engineering archive for my old Ultra Wedge as i wanted to take the declination handles off so i could removed the tangent pin and make the wedge lay flat so i could make a pier plate for it. He sent me an engineering file of the bottom half of the wedge which mounts to the pier. I had to download the program to view it, but he gave me the link for that as well. Once i opened the file up, it had every possible measurement for that part, holes, diameter of holes, lengths, thickness' everything. Was pretty cool.

If you can't find the thread size here, email their customer support and ask them for it. Or even call them. Their email answer time is like 1-2 days and wait time on phone has been about 5 mins. 

Thanks for the info.  I did email Meade's customer service on 1-15-2020 but have NOT (yet) received a reply.

#5 spames

spames

Explorer 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 11:24 AM

Could I get a copy of that information as I want to mount my wedge on a pier also.

my email 

stephenames09@gmail.com

thanks Steve

#6 dreeves2015

dreeves2015

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 January 2020 - 12:22 AM

Thanks for the info.  I did email Meade's customer service on 1-15-2020 but have NOT (yet) received a reply.

If they haven't responded to your email as of yet...call them.

#7 dreeves2015

dreeves2015

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 January 2020 - 12:23 AM

Could I get a copy of that information as I want to mount my wedge on a pier also.

my email 

stephenames09@gmail.com

thanks Steve

I guess i missed all this in here, sorry about that...got it sorted out now though!

#8 lmclouth

lmclouth

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 22 January 2020 - 10:25 PM

I finally got a reply from Meade by asking on their webpage form (still nothing by using the customerservice@meade.com email address.)

But I find their answer strange and I don't believe it is correct.  Here is their reply:

"That would have been a standard t-thread output which is a 42mm."

Sounds to me like they are giving the dimensions for the imaging end of the #777 OTA and NOT the eyepiece/guide camera part.

I don't have the #777 in front of me right now.  Can anyone with a Meade #777 and anything with a 42mm thread try to thread it?

I can then reply to Meade and try to get them to send me an engineering drawing for the #777; that should contain the dimensions of the threads.

And dreeves2015, could you send me the name of the service rep that you deal with at Meade or please ask him to send you the engineering drawing for the #777?  Sounds like he has a better understanding of their products than the general support.

Thanks again for everyone's help with this.

#9 dreeves2015

dreeves2015

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 January 2020 - 10:53 PM

I sent it to you messenger...my understanding is he is just customer support...not a manager or anything...you may call Meade and talk with them, it only took me a couple minutes to get through each time i called.

#10 lmclouth

lmclouth

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 23 January 2020 - 10:44 PM

I finally got a reply from Meade by asking on their webpage form (still nothing by using the customerservice@meade.com email address.)

But I find their answer strange and I don't believe it is correct.  Here is their reply:

"That would have been a standard t-thread output which is a 42mm."

Sounds to me like they are giving the dimensions for the imaging end of the #777 OTA and NOT the eyepiece/guide camera part.

I don't have the #777 in front of me right now.  Can anyone with a Meade #777 and anything with a 42mm thread try to thread it?

After two more times back and forth with Meade they finally replied with:

"We understand now, we misread all that as being asking about the normal output thread of the unit.

We actually have no record on what the thread was between the eyepiece barrel and body since this was an imported item and that barrel wouldn’t be removed in normal use.

Our apologies for the prior confusion."

So no help from Meade.  Hopefully someone with a #777 and the ability to measure the threads will be able to give the thread size.

#11 lmclouth

lmclouth

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:48 PM

Received another answer from the customer service person dreeves2015 gave to me.  After he finally understood what I was asking, I got this reply:

"Thank  you for clarifying what exactly it is that you want   -  the answer regarding  the thread type for the piece you sent the picture of in  your most recent email  is M35 x 0.75”."

So now I finally have the thread sizes I need; M36x1 for the SvBONY helical focuser and M35 x 0.75" for the Meade #777 eyepiece/guide camera barrel.

Now just need to get an adapter made -- either milled or 3D printed.

#12 dreeves2015

dreeves2015

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 January 2020 - 11:52 AM

Received another answer from the customer service person dreeves2015 gave to me.  After he finally understood what I was asking, I got this reply:

"Thank  you for clarifying what exactly it is that you want   -  the answer regarding  the thread type for the piece you sent the picture of in  your most recent email  is M35 x 0.75”."

So now I finally have the thread sizes I need; M36x1 for the SvBONY helical focuser and M35 x 0.75" for the Meade #777 eyepiece/guide camera barrel.

We need to give him some compliments to his boss...the other customer service reps are  like tree stumps in boots...but Chuck does research and follows up, and he is a nice guy to talk with.

#13 lmclouth

lmclouth

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 27 January 2020 - 10:48 PM

This fellow may be able to help you. He does 3D custom parts.. I had him make 2 parts for me.

https://www.cloudyni...2244-dr-benway/

Thanks for the info.  I contacted him and unfortunately he is not able to do threaded parts.

Edited by lmclouth, 27 January 2020 - 10:48 PM.

#14 lmclouth

lmclouth

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 28 January 2020 - 01:30 PM

After I thought about it more something still didn't seem right with the answer I got. I researched threads and sent another reply to Meade.

Here is their reply:

I checked with engineering to make sure I had this right and they confirmed it – the threads are in mm. The quote mark at the end of the sentence was a mistake – it supposed to indicate I was quoting engineering but came out looking like I was quoting  inches – which the threads are NOT.

Hopefully this clears things up.

So I was correct that the numbers indicate millimeters.  So the final thread size info for the Meade 777 OAG eyepiece/guide camera barrel is M35x0.75 (in millimeters).

And I was lucky enough to find Raf Camera https://rafcamera.com/ and they will make an anodized adapter (M36x1 female to M35x0.75 male) for $25 plus shipping.  I don't know if they'll add it to their website or if you have to ask for it.

PreciseParts https://www.preciseparts.com/ will make one (which is slightly thinner according to their Build-An-Adapter) but they're much more expensive at $92 plus shipping.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, equipment, imaging, Meade

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics