•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First Ever Telescope.(Advice Needed)

dob reflector
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 vaibhav_astro

vaibhav_astro

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 January 2020 - 12:51 AM

Hey guys,

I'm planning to buy an 8" Dobsonian Telescope, (http://www.tejraj.co...-telescope.html).

I'm into visual astronomy and a bit point shoot of the planets with a phone adapter. Is this a good buy?

Also I live in a class 4 (bortle scale) area, will I able to see deep sky objects clearly?

#2 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 21 January 2020 - 01:18 AM

Hello vaibhav astro and welcome to the forums!

Yes. And yes, conditionally.

Yes the 8" GSO Dobs make fine scopes. That package seems useful. It should be fun for you. Try getting some pics of the moon via cell phone camera shooting through the 25mm eyepiece. They can be pretty good.

And yes you should get good views of DSO's. But your expectations can stand in your way of recognizing what good views are. You will not get views that look like the pics on the internet. None of us do when we observe visually. And inexperience can bring initial frustrations as you may not be able to realize some of what you are seeing. But experience comes pretty quickly and solves those matters that at first seem puzzling.

Good luck with your new scope. Stay in touch and let us know how your observing progresses. 

Edited by havasman, 21 January 2020 - 01:19 AM.

• desertstars, B 26354, Jond105 and 1 other like this

#3 B 26354

B 26354

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 21 January 2020 - 02:52 AM

Looking at the web page that you linked, there is a comparison chart between the GSO 8" Professional Dobsonian (at ~$475 USD) and the GSO 8" Nightwatch (at ~$375 USD), if my currency conversion is somewhat correct.

The "Professional" version has a dual-speed focuser. The Nightwatch has a single-speed focuser.

The "Professional" version also comes with:

Altitude Ball Bearings
Altitude Clutch
Azimuth Roller Bearing
Tube Balancing System

I think I would be strongly tempted to go for the "Professional" version.

• vaibhav_astro likes this

#4 JOEinCO

JOEinCO

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado Front Range

Posted 21 January 2020 - 03:34 AM

The "Professional" also comes with the 2" 30mm GSO eyepiece for the wide end, instead of a 1.25" 25mm with the "Nightwatch".

#5 JohnBear

JohnBear

Vostok 1

• Loc: Sandy, Utah

Posted 21 January 2020 - 03:39 AM

Great choice! Doing visual astronomy with a Dob is a great to learn and gain experience and real expertise. Dobs give wonderful stable views as your learn the sky at your own pace, and they offer a lot of satisfaction right off the bat. An 8" Dob is also something that you will use and enjoy for a loonnggg time, even as you upgrade to more complex telescopes. A Dob is (not a lot of) money well spent. 

I highly recommend getting a smartphone astronomy app to show you where to point your Dob, and computer planetarium software is a real teaching tool, as well a great way to plan what is currently available for you to see. 

Dobs are also great equipment for affordable DIY upgrades, After you learn to use it (and get a few upgrade eyepieces) consider adding a "setting circle" to the base of your dob so that you can start doing Push-To astronomy, It is an easy upgrade (lots of instructions and ideas in the CN forums).and it is just about as accurate as, and faster than, most expensive GoTo systems. You can even add equipment to create GoTo Dobs, but for me that sort of takes the fun out of using a Dob - I also have a couple GoTo telescopes, BTW. 

Newbies starting out with expensive GoTo telescopes tend to get very frustrated unless they have access to experienced amateur astronomer support to show them how to use the equipment properly. The complexity required to use such equipment can takes weeks of study and experimentation to learn on your own. 

A Dob telescope is something easy to use, that teaches your a lot, about the basics.  Enjoy it.

#6 vaibhav_astro

vaibhav_astro

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 January 2020 - 04:18 AM

Looking at the web page that you linked, there is a comparison chart between the GSO 8" Professional Dobsonian (at ~$475 USD) and the GSO 8" Nightwatch (at ~$375 USD), if my currency conversion is somewhat correct.

The "Professional" version has a dual-speed focuser. The Nightwatch has a single-speed focuser.

The "Professional" version also comes with:

Altitude Ball Bearings
Altitude Clutch
Azimuth Roller Bearing
Tube Balancing System

I think I would be strongly tempted to go for the "Professional" version.

Does this implies that with the "Nightwatch Dob" it will be hard to track objects in the sky? Without those Bearings and Tube Balancing System?

Btw after adding taxes it's $440 for the Nightwatch and $557 for the Professional one. :)

Edited by vaibhav_astro, 21 January 2020 - 04:22 AM.

#7 JOEinCO

JOEinCO

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado Front Range

Posted 21 January 2020 - 04:36 AM

The bearings make for a smoother motion (which is always nice), and the balancing system helps as you add heavier eyepieces or finderscopes or whatever the future holds. The balance system also lets you set the balance for different accessory sets as you observe. The dual-speed focuser is an excellent upgrade that makes using the scope better. And the wider 2" eyepiece gives you a wider True Field Of View, which definitely makes finding objects easier. 

I think it is $117 well-spent, even if you need to save a little longer.

Edited by JOEinCO, 21 January 2020 - 04:38 AM.

#8 banjaxed

banjaxed

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: NW England

Posted 21 January 2020 - 04:57 AM

My first scope is an 8” Dob which I bought early last year and I can’t ever see me getting rid of it as it so easy to use.

You have made a good  choice.

Edited by banjaxed, 21 January 2020 - 02:40 PM.

#9 vaibhav_astro

vaibhav_astro

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 January 2020 - 05:31 AM

The bearings make for a smoother motion (which is always nice), and the balancing system helps as you add heavier eyepieces or finderscopes or whatever the future holds. The balance system also lets you set the balance for different accessory sets as you observe. The dual-speed focuser is an excellent upgrade that makes using the scope better. And the wider 2" eyepiece gives you a wider True Field Of View, which definitely makes finding objects easier.

I think it is $117 well-spent, even if you need to save a little longer.

#10 vaibhav_astro

vaibhav_astro

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 January 2020 - 05:32 AM

Thanks for the advice and suggestions, I think I've changed my mind and will go with the professional one!
  • desertstars, Sky Muse, havasman and 1 other like this

#11 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 21 January 2020 - 07:49 AM

Thanks for the advice and suggestions, I think I've changed my mind and will go with the professional one!

waytogo.gif

Let us know how things work out. 

#12 Myk Rian

Myk Rian

Apollo

• Loc: Hartland, Michigan

Posted 21 January 2020 - 08:00 AM

My first scope was an 8" dob. It's still my favorite.

#13 rhetfield

rhetfield

Mariner 2

• Loc: Suburban Chicago, IL, USA

Posted 21 January 2020 - 09:54 AM

It will be worth it just to get the wide angle eyepiece.

As others have suggested, seriously look into the setting circles.  They will let you very quickly find things that otherwise might take you a long time to find otherwise.  Nice option on those nights when you only have a few minutes to play.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dob, reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics