•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

[HELP]: Coronado SolarMax III 70mm vs LUNT 60MM for imaging

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 amajed172

amajed172

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Saudi Arabia, Riyadh.

Posted 21 January 2020 - 04:28 AM

Hi there, I'm looking for a Solar scope mainly for imaging, and will be using it for viewing if it's possible, but the main goal is imaging.

my budget is around 2600 - 2800$

I looked to Daystar but the X4 barlow thingy makes it hard to get a full disc, so it might not be a good idea.

So far I'm between:

Coronado SolarMax III 70mm Double-Stacked 15mm Blocking (2699$)

and

LUNT 60MM DOPPLER TRUE TUNED DOUBLE-STACKED B1200CPT with Crayford Focuser (2695$)

I know that the SolarMax III is actually a 60mm not 70mm

that's why I'm comparing the two.

both have the same price, the coronado is a two speed focuser, while the LUNT is Crayford (not sure what does that mean exactly)(I also think that the double stacked here is a 50mm not 60mm)

so which choice is better for me? (note that they are not the only choices, if you think there's a better option, please share)

I'll be using the scope on a EQ6-R mount.

I'll be using an ASI174MM camera (I might get ASI290MM too)

Thanks

#2 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 January 2020 - 10:09 AM

Are you aware that Meade is in bankruptcy? They own Coronado. Unknown how that will play out. The Crayford focuser has coarse and fine focus, I have one and like it.

• amajed172 likes this

#3 amajed172

amajed172

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 January 2020 - 10:19 AM

Are you aware that Meade is in bankruptcy? They own Coronado. Unknown how that will play out. The Crayford focuser has coarse and fine focus, I have one and like it.

Good point, although I hardly use warranty since shipping something heavy overseas usually not worth it. but this one is expensive so warranty is something to look for.

Still, is the Double stacked Lunt gonna be a good choice?  I think it's 50mm and I've read that Aperture is almost everything when it comes to solar imaging.

#4 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 January 2020 - 10:27 AM

Sorry I can't help with double stack, don't have one.  I do own a LS60, however I have only had it for a short time.  I have seen impressive images taken with the LS60, check some of the posts here.

• amajed172 likes this

#5 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 21 January 2020 - 10:42 AM

The Lunt 60 is a great scope.  If you are concerned about the DS being a 50mm then just get the SS now and save a little more and get the 60mm DS later.  That is the one I ended up waiting to get....after 7 years!  With so little on the surface at the moment you are not going to miss a whole lot using the SS for awhile.  I have enjoyed my 60mm SS for a long time before pulling the trigger on the DS.

Edited by rigel123, 21 January 2020 - 10:43 AM.

• amajed172 and dhkaiser like this

#6 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Florida

Posted 21 January 2020 - 01:53 PM

If the Lunt 60 has the actual 60mm DS module (not the 50 reducing the system to a 50mm total system for $2800? sheesh) then I'd go for that. The SM3 is attractive because both etalons are front mounted and can be removed so you can use the scope for other wavelengths (white light, calcium, etc) which is nice to have options. And the SM3 is 60mm as you pointed out. Lunt has good support. Not sure what Meade's support will be now or in the future on these scopes.

Either way you go, you'll need a larger sensor camera for full disc and you'll want much smaller pixels than the IMX174 sensor has (5.86um is way too big, you want likely near half that size for sampling; look into the IMX183 sensor instead or similar, with small pixels and a larger pixel array but keep in mind the size blocking filter you use relative to disc size in pixels on the sensor).

Get the biggest blocking filter you can. Think of the blocking filter relative to your sensor diameter relative to how big the disc will be on the sensor after the imaging train.

Very best,

• amajed172 likes this

#7 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 21 January 2020 - 04:22 PM

If the Lunt 60 has the actual 60mm DS module (not the 50 reducing the system to a 50mm total system for $2800? sheesh) then I'd go for that.

The one on sale at that price has the 50mm DS module.  The 60mm is on sale for about $3200

• amajed172 likes this

#8 amajed172

amajed172

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 January 2020 - 12:37 AM

Thanks guys, that was helpful, so I guess I'll get Lunt 60 single stack and later on I'll get the 60DS

Now I'm confused about two things, Pressure vs Tilt, and Normal vs Feather Touch.

I read a lot about Pressure vs Tilt, most say Tilt is easer to use and less problems. does Pressure tuning offer something for imaging? 

and for the focuser, the 10:1 is good enough already, what does the feather touch offer me? does it worth that extra money?

I noticed that the Tilt + Feather is on Sale on Lunt store, do you think that Sale is my best option?

Thanks

#9 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Florida

Posted 23 January 2020 - 06:39 AM

I think the pressure tuning will have better uniformity of tuning compared to tilt. There's a reason Lunt went to all-pressure-tuning and away from tilting to tune.

The crayford focuser is fine. The feather touch would be really nice, it's robust, heavy duty, but overkill for holding a light weight CMOS USB camera or a little 1.25" eyepiece. I would get it if its in the cards. But it's really more of a luxury than needed. The standard dual speed crayford focuser will handle your needs without any fuss really. Feather touch would be important if you used really heavy imaging train, big binoviewers, etc and wanted a lot more precision when using heavy loads like that; which really isn't going to happen on a little 60mm scope, so you should be fine!

When it comes to double-stacking there are two modules, the cheaper "60mm double stack" for the Lunt 60 is actually a 50mm aperture, so it stops the whole system down to 50mm. Keep that in mind. There is a double-stack module for true 60mm, it costs more, but it keeps the whole system 60mm, it has a different model number and colored differently (red I think?). That's the one you will want later if you double stack.

Very best,

• amajed172 likes this

#10 amajed172

amajed172

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 January 2020 - 12:31 PM

I think the pressure tuning will have better uniformity of tuning compared to tilt. There's a reason Lunt went to all-pressure-tuning and away from tilting to tune.

The crayford focuser is fine. The feather touch would be really nice, it's robust, heavy duty, but overkill for holding a light weight CMOS USB camera or a little 1.25" eyepiece. I would get it if its in the cards. But it's really more of a luxury than needed. The standard dual speed crayford focuser will handle your needs without any fuss really. Feather touch would be important if you used really heavy imaging train, big binoviewers, etc and wanted a lot more precision when using heavy loads like that; which really isn't going to happen on a little 60mm scope, so you should be fine!

When it comes to double-stacking there are two modules, the cheaper "60mm double stack" for the Lunt 60 is actually a 50mm aperture, so it stops the whole system down to 50mm. Keep that in mind. There is a double-stack module for true 60mm, it costs more, but it keeps the whole system 60mm, it has a different model number and colored differently (red I think?). That's the one you will want later if you double stack.

Very best,

Thanks, I guess I'll get a PT with Crayford focuser, will double stack later.

Thanks Marty

• torsinadoc and MalVeauX like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics