•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Brand New AT115EDT Defect in Baffle

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 santafe retiree

santafe retiree

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 January 2020 - 02:49 PM

UPDATE - 1/21/20 2:39 PM MST  -- Upon learning of the issue Astronomics immediately dispatched a replacement scope via FedEx with a return label for the defective scope -- Mike and Pete and Royce - you guys ROCK!!!! And Kudos to Ken in shipping for making it all come together!!!

After months of waiting I finally received my AT115EDT today.  Boy was I excited when I saw the FedEx guy in the driveway!

I took pics of every step of the unboxing thinking I would post them here.

Then the show came to a hard stop!

There is an issue with the focuser but more disturbing is the attached photo showing a baffle defect and two very distinct and dusty fingerprints inside the OTA!  Fortunately they are not on the glass but still  ---  **** ---  ???

So does anyone think this is trivial and I should ignore it?  Or does the scope go back to our CN sponsor?

Regards,

Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• AT115 Baffle Defect copy.jpg

Edited by santafe retiree, 21 January 2020 - 04:43 PM.

• havasman likes this

#2 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Soyuz

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 21 January 2020 - 02:58 PM

Clean the baffle and fingerprint. Tell them about the focuser.  Call the seller and file a complaint.  Do a star ASAP...!

Edited by Jim Waters, 21 January 2020 - 03:02 PM.

#3 santafe retiree

santafe retiree

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 January 2020 - 03:02 PM

Clean the baffle and fingerprint.  Call the seller and file a complaint.  Do a star ASAP...!

This is brand new scope from our CN sponsor Astronomics - I don't feel very good about pulling the front cell on a brand new scope --  

Edited by santafe retiree, 21 January 2020 - 03:03 PM.

#4 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Soyuz

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 21 January 2020 - 03:06 PM

OK - call Astronomics and talk to them.  Ask for a replacement scope.

#5 photoracer18

photoracer18

Gemini

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 21 January 2020 - 03:16 PM

Since 99% of dealers don't actually inspect scopes they get from Asia  (because from experience people get anal when they find the box has been pre-opened and resealed) it was likely done at the plant where it was built during final inspection so I am betting the seller did not know about it. Especially if it has a focuser problem also. It it was only the baffle issue, myself I would take care of it [personally and move on. But in this case I would contact the seller. Might end up being without one for a couple more months if the new supply already dried up from pre-orders. I would want to replace it with 2 issues.

• santafe retiree likes this

#6 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 21 January 2020 - 03:20 PM

Talk with Astronomics. They're fair people and this is simple. We can't help you but they can.

• Erik Bakker, Jaimo!, Carl N and 3 others like this

#7 jerahian

jerahian

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 21 January 2020 - 03:28 PM

As sad as I would be as well, I would definitely send it back.  First, of course, absolutely give them a call and figure out how this could have happened and gotten by any quality assurance process they may have.

Sorry to hear this happened :(

#8 santafe retiree

santafe retiree

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 January 2020 - 03:32 PM

Talk with Astronomics. They're fair people and this is simple. We can't help you but they can.

As sad as I would be as well, I would definitely send it back.  First, of course, absolutely give them a call and figure out how this could have happened and gotten by any quality assurance process they may have.

Sorry to hear this happened frown.gif

I have no doubt Astronomics will be fair about this -- they are great -- Pete and Royce and Mike are top notch people.  My question is whether the community thinks the defect is trivial or is it replacement time?

#9 The Ardent

The Ardent

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 21 January 2020 - 03:39 PM

Exchange it for a Tak TSA 120

#10 santafe retiree

santafe retiree

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 January 2020 - 03:57 PM

Exchange it for a Tak TSA 120

Ha Ha -- I wish I could "exchange" it for a Tak -- but I don't think Astronomics would care to give up the extra $3000 for the "exchange."  :)

#11 barbarosa

barbarosa

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: 139 miles W of the Awahnee Hotel

Posted 21 January 2020 - 03:58 PM

It is reasonable and fair for you to return it or negotiate a partial refund. What you should never do is elect a DIY fix  because you run the risk of making a bad thing worse. There are so many ways for a simple job to go wrong. The two problems here are flags for careless work. The focuser isn't right, the tube has fingerprints but heck the glass must be OK?

I very much doubt that any reseller that routinely does a quality check on items before shipping them. There are some who will take an extra step for a good customer, but you have to ask. 

#12 Gary Z

Gary Z

Surveyor 1

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 21 January 2020 - 04:29 PM

I think the question should have been raised with our sponsor before putting it out here first. Sure it's your money, but imagine if the roles were reversed.  You'd want to be notified of any issue before anyone else was.  I'm sure the CN sponsor will take good care of you in addressing any concern you have with your purchase.  You'll be enjoying your new scope by the time all the clouds finish punishing you for the purchase...lol.

Gary

• gfeulner, Carl N, Wildetelescope and 1 other like this

#13 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 21 January 2020 - 04:30 PM

Astronomics needs to know about this. Reputable vendors want to make sure the customer is 100% satisfied. Competition between the astro sellers is pretty stiff, and getting a less-than-stellar reputation is lethal.

#14 santafe retiree

santafe retiree

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 January 2020 - 04:44 PM

UPDATE - 1/21/20 2:39 PM MST  -- Upon learning of the issue Astronomics immediately dispatched a replacement scope via FedEx with a return label for the defective scope -- Mike and Pete and Royce - you guys ROCK!!!! And Kudos to Ken in shipping for making it all come together!!!

• zjc26138, Erik Bakker, Jaimo! and 7 others like this

#15 santafe retiree

santafe retiree

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 January 2020 - 04:55 PM

I think the question should have been raised with our sponsor before putting it out here first. Sure it's your money, but imagine if the roles were reversed.  You'd want to be notified of any issue before anyone else was.  I'm sure the CN sponsor will take good care of you in addressing any concern you have with your purchase.  You'll be enjoying your new scope by the time all the clouds finish punishing you for the purchase...lol.

Gary

Gary,  I hear you - and Astronomics was notified immediately upon discovery of the issue -- My post was to get the temperature of the community as to whether I was being OCD about the issue and whether there was a good solution short of sending it back -- but Astronomics stepped right up and is replacing the scope -- thank you for your thoughts on my post -- and BTW, I posted an update at the top of the thread praising Astronomics for the quick resolution -- Regards,  Tom

Edited by santafe retiree, 21 January 2020 - 04:56 PM.

#16 SonnyE

SonnyE

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 21 January 2020 - 05:21 PM

See? All you needed to do was let them know.

Can't ask for better service than that.

Now... keep your finners out of the new one. wron.gif

#17 santafe retiree

santafe retiree

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 January 2020 - 05:23 PM

See? All you needed to do was let them know.

Can't ask for better service than that.

Now... keep your finners out of the new one. wron.gif

Looked like a CSI crime scene photo   :)

• starcam likes this

#18 Astronomics

Astronomics

Vendor: Astronomics

• Administrators
  • Loc: Right Here

Posted 21 January 2020 - 11:07 PM

Normally I go over each one before they go out.  Star test, check mechanics, fit and finish etc.  However, as these were held in customs for so long, and customers had been so patient, I didn't want to make everyone wait 10 days plus so I could look at them all.  So, I took the past track record of one bad 130 lens and and one bad 115 lens out of 800 plus OTAs and decided to let them go.  Wouldn't you know I would get bit in the butt on a scope that we didn't look at.  It is an anomaly for sure. 

• Paul G, Paul Schroeder, tog and 17 others like this

#19 barbarosa

barbarosa

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: 139 miles W of the Awahnee Hotel

Posted 22 January 2020 - 03:21 AM

Normally I go over each one before they go out.  Star test, check mechanics, fit and finish etc.  

Hats off to you!    I will enjoy my dish of crow.

#20 tog

tog

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Front Yard

Posted 22 January 2020 - 10:10 AM

Normally I go over each one before they go out.  Star test, check mechanics, fit and finish etc.  However, as these were held in customs for so long, and customers had been so patient, I didn't want to make everyone wait 10 days plus so I could look at them all.  So, I took the past track record of one bad 130 lens and and one bad 115 lens out of 800 plus OTAs and decided to let them go.  Wouldn't you know I would get bit in the butt on a scope that we didn't look at.  It is an anomaly for sure. 

You guys and gals do some good work there at Astronomics!

#21 Auburn80

Auburn80

Apollo

Posted 22 January 2020 - 10:36 AM

Just another datapoint from this customer;
I'd rather wait an extra couple of weeks to allow for the thorough QC that I know you guys can provide. IMHO, those efforts just further bolsters your excellent reputation!
To paraphrase, dont let the impatience of a few outweigh the needs of the many. 😁

#22 santafe retiree

santafe retiree

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 January 2020 - 11:42 AM

UPDATE - 1/23/20 9:33 AM MST -

FedEx just delivered the replacement scope - outer box was in fine condition, inner box was opened which I was glad to see because it meant Astronomics inspected the scope prior to shipping -

Scope is FANTASTIC cosmetically, tube finish and optics are excellent, focuser is smooth and just the right amount of tension - SO EXCITED !!!

And here are my skies for tonight so I actually can use it !!!!

My praise and gratitude to Astronomics for the quick response and turnaround !!!

Attached Thumbnails

• 1-23-20 Skies.jpg

Edited by santafe retiree, 23 January 2020 - 11:50 AM.

• eros312 and jerahian like this

#23 starryhtx

starryhtx

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 23 January 2020 - 12:33 PM

Can we see the scope on the mount?

#24 Agatha

Agatha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 23 January 2020 - 12:51 PM

That's wonderful news.  Cheers to Mike and company.  

Have fun with your beautiful new telescope.  smile.gif

How 'bout a photo of the new beauty?    

#25 santafe retiree

santafe retiree

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 January 2020 - 01:18 PM

Can we see the scope on the mount?

That's wonderful news.  Cheers to Mike and company.  

Have fun with your beautiful new telescope.  smile.gif

How 'bout a photo of the new beauty?    

Getting it all set up right now - ran into a small snag piggy-backing my AT65EDQ on top of the new AT115EDT but a fix is in the works as I write so I should have some "beauty shots" later today  --

I also need to get my ZWO EAF mounted but should be fairly straight forward -- oops, just jinxed that didn't I :) We'll see ---

Cheers,

Tom

PS -- YES Astronomics ROCKS!!!!

• Agatha likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics