•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Brand New AT115EDT Defect in Baffle

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#26 jerahian

jerahian

Apollo

• Loc: Maine

Posted 23 January 2020 - 09:05 PM

UPDATE - 1/23/20 9:33 AM MST -

FedEx just delivered the replacement scope - outer box was in fine condition, inner box was opened which I was glad to see because it meant Astronomics inspected the scope prior to shipping -

Scope is FANTASTIC cosmetically, tube finish and optics are excellent, focuser is smooth and just the right amount of tension - SO EXCITED !!!

And here are my skies for tonight so I actually can use it !!!!

My praise and gratitude to Astronomics for the quick response and turnaround !!!

Congratulations to you and kudos for Astronomics for taking care of the situation so quickly and professionally!

• zjc26138 and santafe retiree like this

#27 OldManSky

OldManSky

Soyuz

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 24 January 2020 - 09:24 AM

I didn't doubt there would be a satisfactory resolution.

I know, Astronomics is a business.  But Mike and the rest *care* about telescopes, their customers, and more.  I immediately click "delete" on most email ads I get from other vendors (some of which I buy things from) -- I always read Mike's emails.  And Astronomics is the first place I look when I'm looking to buy something.  

• Astronomics, m9x18, eros312 and 3 others like this

#28 santafe retiree

santafe retiree

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 January 2020 - 04:53 PM

Can we see the scope on the mount?

That's wonderful news.  Cheers to Mike and company.  

Have fun with your beautiful new telescope.  smile.gif

How 'bout a photo of the new beauty?    

"Beauty shots" as requested --

AT115EDT on the bottom with TSFlat2, ASI1600MM Pro, ZWO EAF, ZWO EFW with Chroma LRGB and Chroma 3nm Ha, S2, Oiii

AT65EDQ on the top with ASI224MC used for guiding with the AT65 and for planetary imaging with a TeleVue 2.5x PowerMate on the AT115

Mount is an iOptron CEM60 (non-EC) with internal iPolar

Sorry but no images yet.  I spent most of the evening getting the mount and cameras and focuser set up.

As you can see in the photo, high clouds are rolling in so I don't know when I will be able to image but I might give it a try tonight despite some below average seeing.

However I can say I am THRILLED  by the fit and finish and mechanics of the AT115.  I have no doubt the optics will also be great.

And once again, HIGHEST PRAISE for the crew at Astronomics !!!  Best customer service I have ever had.

Regards,

Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• AT115EDT.jpg

Edited by santafe retiree, 25 January 2020 - 10:52 AM.

• Astronomics, 3 i Guy, Jaimo! and 8 others like this

#29 astrogeek64

astrogeek64

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia

Posted 16 February 2020 - 04:30 PM

I just ordered mine today. Hopefully, they are in stock as the Astronomics site states and it will ship soon!

I am ridiculously excited and anxious to get first light.

Sorry about the clouds...…...

Dave

#30 santafe retiree

santafe retiree

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 February 2020 - 06:04 PM

Just to complete the loop on this thread here is my new thread on a first image with this rig:

https://www.cloudyni...rosette-in-sho/

I am THRILLED with the scope and with Astronomics!

Regards,

Tom

• Erik Bakker, BFaucett, astrogeek64 and 1 other like this

#31 astrogeek64

astrogeek64

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia

Posted 19 February 2020 - 10:13 AM

That's beautiful, Tom!

Mine is scheduled to be here on Friday. I feel like a little kid, two days before Christmas, checking Fedex Tracking every hour. 

I'll have to order the field flattener, as I forgot to include it when I ordered on Saturday.

Mine will be riding atop a Vixen SXD2.

Dave

Just to complete the loop on this thread here is my new thread on a first image with this rig:

https://www.cloudyni...rosette-in-sho/

I am THRILLED with the scope and with Astronomics!

Regards,

Tom

• santafe retiree likes this

#32 santafe retiree

santafe retiree

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 February 2020 - 10:26 AM

That's beautiful, Tom!

Mine is scheduled to be here on Friday. I feel like a little kid, two days before Christmas, checking Fedex Tracking every hour. 

I'll have to order the field flattener, as I forgot to include it when I ordered on Saturday.

Mine will be riding atop a Vixen SXD2.

Dave

Astronomics has the 0.8x reducer/flattener in stock but will have to wait until April to get the 1.0x flattener bawling.gif

• astrogeek64 likes this

#33 NuclearRoy

NuclearRoy

Mariner 2

• Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 20 February 2020 - 02:49 PM

Nice!

Not to hijack your thread...

I got a used AT115EDT a couple weeks ago and am setting it up for use with an ASI1600 and ZWO EFW, just like yours. (I went with the Pegasus FocusCube since I have that on my SCT)

I have both the FF and 0.8xFF/FR but prefer to use it with just the FF. (I have a 600mm f/4 lens)

My question is, does the imaging train seem slightly loose to you. Mine seems to have just a slight bit of lateral movement, when the camera is pushed gently by hand, that appears to be from the 2" accessory adapter.

The focuser assembly is solid, even without the rotation screw tightened down.

It doesn't seem to be from the FF being 2" slip in vs. screw on like the reducer/flatener, but that the entire 2" accessory adapter assembly is flexing just slightly even when it's rotation screw is tight.

It could also be that I'm just OCD, since this is my first real refractor.

I added the ZWO camera clamp to the Nikon lens trains because the ZWO Nikon adapter is REALLY loose. The camera would actually move under its own weight as the mount rotated. With that addition, there is no movement.

I was going to add the clamp to this setup as well, but there are issues with having the camera needing to be able to move for focusing (It doesn't with the Nikon lens) and also the support bar being in the way of the EFW/FocusCube during framing rotation.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Roy

#34 Steve Allison

Steve Allison

Apollo

• Loc: Olympia, Wash. 98502

Posted 20 February 2020 - 05:15 PM

Astronomics is a class outfit with good customer service. Highly recommended.

But it seems that posters always lavish praise on a particular company just because they replace a defective product that arguably should not have been sent out in the first place. Out of curiosity, what would constitute "average" customer service in situations like this?

#35 santafe retiree

santafe retiree

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2020 - 11:18 PM

Astronomics is a class outfit with good customer service. Highly recommended.

But it seems that posters always lavish praise on a particular company just because they replace a defective product that arguably should not have been sent out in the first place. Out of curiosity, what would constitute "average" customer service in situations like this?

So a couple of things stand out for me --

1) The owner of Astronomics posted to this thread explaining what happened --  https://www.cloudyni...e/#entry9932417 -- which he did not have to do -- I really appreciate that he made himself available in that way - it shows character and responsibility

2) Astronomics immediately shipped the replacement before they even responded to my email about the issue, no questions asked.

What would constitute "average" service? --

1) The vendor making me jump through the hoops of an RMA paperwork rigamarole.

2) The vendor making me ship the defective item back for inspection before replacing it instead of immediately shipping the replacement.

3) The vendor saying they would repair the item instead of just replacing it.

I am sure other folks can chime in on what kind of "average" customer service they have been subjected to by other vendors.  I am not saying that these things are unreasonable.  I am saying the way Astronomics handled this was indeed exceptional and outstanding.  So yes, I lavished praise on them and I think it is well deserved.  Michael, Pete, Royce and the warehouse crew deserve high praise and more importantly Astronomics deserves our support, i.e. buy stuff from them!  Plus CN members get a 3% discount on many items just for being a member of the CN community.  How great is that!?!?! 

• Erik Bakker, m9x18, BFaucett and 3 others like this

#36 santafe retiree

santafe retiree

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2020 - 11:37 PM

My question is, does the imaging train seem slightly loose to you. Mine seems to have just a slight bit of lateral movement, when the camera is pushed gently by hand, that appears to be from the 2" accessory adapter.

The focuser assembly is solid, even without the rotation screw tightened down.

It doesn't seem to be from the FF being 2" slip in vs. screw on like the reducer/flatener, but that the entire 2" accessory adapter assembly is flexing just slightly even when it's rotation screw is tight.

I am not sure I understand what you are describing.  When you use the reducer/flattener I assume you are unscrewing the 2" compression ring adapter from the end of the focuser and screwing on the reducer/flattener in its place.  As described on the Astronomics web page for that item:

"If the 2" accessory adapter is unthreaded from the camera angle adjuster on the scope, the reducer can be threaded onto the camera angle adjuster in its place ... "

Are you saying that even with the connection being a thread-on connection and not the compression ring, the camera is shifting laterally?  I just can't picture how that can be  .?.?.?... unless your focuser drawtube is shifting there shouldn't be any lateral movement.  Please help me understand.

Regards,

Tom

Edited by santafe retiree, 20 February 2020 - 11:50 PM.

#37 Steve Allison

Steve Allison

Apollo

• Loc: Olympia, Wash. 98502

Posted 21 February 2020 - 04:08 AM

santafe retiree-

You've convinced me!

Steve

• santafe retiree likes this

#38 NuclearRoy

NuclearRoy

Mariner 2

• Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 21 February 2020 - 12:36 PM

I am not sure I understand what you are describing.  When you use the reducer/flattener I assume you are unscrewing the 2" compression ring adapter from the end of the focuser and screwing on the reducer/flattener in its place.  As described on the Astronomics web page for that item:

"If the 2" accessory adapter is unthreaded from the camera angle adjuster on the scope, the reducer can be threaded onto the camera angle adjuster in its place ... "

Are you saying that even with the connection being a thread-on connection and not the compression ring, the camera is shifting laterally?  I just can't picture how that can be  .?.?.?... unless your focuser drawtube is shifting there shouldn't be any lateral movement.  Please help me understand.

Regards,

Tom

Tom,

Thanks for the reply.

>(From original post) I have both the FF and 0.8xFF/FR but prefer to use it with just the FF.

The REDUCER/flattener does indeed thread onto the tube as you said. (I attached it, just to make sure it fit, but didn't hang the camera off it because I don't plan to use it. I guess I should do that and see if it moves as well.)

My issue is with the flattener only. It does not thread on and uses the 2" accessory adapter. Why they would make it like that is for another thread :)

It looks like an eyepiece, up until the threads on the back end. It also has the safety bevel cut on the barrel that inserts into the compression ring of the adapter.

That is what has some slight movement. I can't tell if it is the flattener moving inside the adapter, or the entire adapter unit. (It really doesn't move much at all. It is only noticeable at the back of the camera because that is 8" away.)

As this is my first 'real' refractor telescope, I don't know if that is normal/acceptable.

I would think that we should be shooting for rock solid for imaging. That is why I added the ZWO camera support to my Nikon lens imaging train.

Without putting a dial indicator on it, I would say it probably doesn't move under its own weight during tracking, but might move ever so slightly after a meridian flip on a lower target.

Thanks,

Roy

#39 santafe retiree

santafe retiree

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2020 - 01:14 PM

Tom,

Thanks for the reply.

>(From original post) I have both the FF and 0.8xFF/FR but prefer to use it with just the FF.

The REDUCER/flattener does indeed thread onto the tube as you said. (I attached it, just to make sure it fit, but didn't hang the camera off it because I don't plan to use it. I guess I should do that and see if it moves as well.)

My issue is with the flattener only. It does not thread on and uses the 2" accessory adapter. Why they would make it like that is for another thread smile.gif

It looks like an eyepiece, up until the threads on the back end. It also has the safety bevel cut on the barrel that inserts into the compression ring of the adapter.

That is what has some slight movement. I can't tell if it is the flattener moving inside the adapter, or the entire adapter unit. (It really doesn't move much at all. It is only noticeable at the back of the camera because that is 8" away.)

As this is my first 'real' refractor telescope, I don't know if that is normal/acceptable.

I would think that we should be shooting for rock solid for imaging. That is why I added the ZWO camera support to my Nikon lens imaging train.

Without putting a dial indicator on it, I would say it probably doesn't move under its own weight during tracking, but might move ever so slightly after a meridian flip on a lower target.

Thanks,

Roy

Roy,

Got it -- I understand -- I have the same issue with my TSFlat2 i.e. I have it inserted into the 2" EP adapter, not screwed into the focuser.  On my rig, I do not have lateral "slop" but I do have tilt.

This adapter:

https://agenaastro.c...apter-m-03.html

is what I think is the way to thread the FF directly onto the focuser. 

I unthreaded the 2" accessory adapter from the focuser tube and measured the male thread and got 53.87mm.  (BTW, that measurement should coincide with the male thread on the reducer) The FF has a standard 48mm female thread.  So a 54mm male to a 48mm male should do the trick.

Unfortunately Agena is out of stock and like so many parts coming out of China, there is no ETA due to the corona virus disruption.  I looked on Aliexpress and found what looks to be an identical unit for $13 USD.  I ordered it and have my fingers crossed.  When/if I get it I am going to douse it in acetone and set it on fire before I use it :)

I suspect that what you are experiencing is lateral slop due to the 2" compression ring not squarely sitting in the safety bevel.

Some folks like this flattener because of the self centering feature:

https://agenaastro.c...-flattener.html

Good luck,

Tom

#40 santafe retiree

santafe retiree

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2020 - 01:53 PM

I started this thread:

https://www.cloudyni...to-an-at115edt/

to more appropriately address the issue of connecting a reducer or a flattener to the AT115EDT

Cheers,

Tom

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics