•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Poor stars with Esprit 80ED

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 milkychris

milkychris

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: St Petersburg, FL

Posted 21 January 2020 - 11:24 PM

I purchased a new Esprit 80ED and am disappointed so far with the stars. I am using a ASI183MM Pro camera and the stars are jagged and there is an uneven halo around the bright stars.

I have tried the same camera setup on my AT60ED and am happy with it.

Here are a couple pics comparing the same stars on the different scopes.  The first one is a single 10 second exposure from the Esprit and the second one is a 60 second exposure from the AT60ED. 

What could be causing the Esprit stars to look so much worse?

Attached Thumbnails

• M45 Esprit80ED.jpg
  • M45 AT60ED.jpg

#2 tonyt

tonyt

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 21 January 2020 - 11:46 PM

A little too much pressure from the centering screws - needs adjustment by the manufacturer. See here: http://interferometr...ml?view=sidebar

• Stephen Kennedy, milkychris and ajaxuk like this

#3 ezwheels

ezwheels

Viking 1

• Loc: Oakland, CA.

Posted 22 January 2020 - 12:50 AM

Tony,

That is quite the link you shared. They are offering a pretty great service for Esprit buyers in the EU. I wonder if this is how they test and tune all the Esprits that they sell?

#4 tonyt

tonyt

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 22 January 2020 - 05:20 AM

It seems like they do check and if necessary adjust each esprit - certainly adds some value. However if you get an esprit with collimation issues skywatcher quickly takes care of it if you send them a photo of a star.

#5 SilverLitz

SilverLitz

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 22 January 2020 - 09:11 AM

Last night, I saw something similar with the Esprit 100 for the 1st time, but I suspect it was temperature related, as temps were <20degF.

#6 Stephen Kennedy

Stephen Kennedy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: California

Posted 22 January 2020 - 07:22 PM

The spikes coming from the bright star are very asymetrical which would lead me to believe that at least one of the lenses is not orthagonal to the light from the star.  This telescope has a major defect and needs to go back to the factory for repair.

#7 milkychris

milkychris

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: St Petersburg, FL

Posted 22 January 2020 - 07:58 PM

Last night, I saw something similar with the Esprit 100 for the 1st time, but I suspect it was temperature related, as temps were <20degF.

I am in touch with the manufacturer and they mentioned that temperature can cause some of this. But I’m in Florida and took pics at 65 and 50F. I didn’t see a difference. They both looked bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics