•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cold weather camera mount for quick set up

equipment imaging observing tripod
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TonyCaf

TonyCaf

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 22 January 2020 - 04:52 AM

Hi everyone!

I was just looking for some equipment suggestions for a quick set up in cold weather to do some astrophotography with a camera only. I would like to have some tracking ability but also not like to break the bank. I have a budget of around 400 dollars and was wondering if any of the members might be able to make some suggestions. I do mean cold weather (-10 F). Quick setup would be a must. I don't plan to do exposures over 10 to 15 minutes. Any suggestions? Rugged.. cheap... reliable... battery powered if possible. I looked at some of the Ioptron stuff but I heard some bad things about battery performance and cold weather. I only need about an hours worth of battery time. Also a dedicated tripod would be nice too. I do have a tripod that came with my Atlas mount and I could use that if the system was compatible. Any suggestions would be great to hear. Thanks for reading and thanks in advance.

#2 Delta608

Delta608

Viking 1

• Loc: Tampa Bay Florida

Posted 22 January 2020 - 06:19 AM

Hi everyone!

I was just looking for some equipment suggestions for a quick set up in cold weather to do some astrophotography with a camera only. I would like to have some tracking ability but also not like to break the bank. I have a budget of around 400 dollars and was wondering if any of the members might be able to make some suggestions. I do mean cold weather (-10 F). Quick setup would be a must. I don't plan to do exposures over 10 to 15 minutes. Any suggestions? Rugged.. cheap... reliable... battery powered if possible. I looked at some of the Ioptron stuff but I heard some bad things about battery performance and cold weather. I only need about an hours worth of battery time. Also a dedicated tripod would be nice too. I do have a tripod that came with my Atlas mount and I could use that if the system was compatible. Any suggestions would be great to hear. Thanks for reading and thanks in advance.

Check out Trevor's Youtube channel....He has a few suggestions with video !! 

https://www.youtube....xgoi_xLdCg9J-LQ

Edited by Delta608, 22 January 2020 - 06:19 AM.

#3 Jim R

Jim R

Sputnik

Posted 22 January 2020 - 07:49 AM

I know your said electric preferred, but it is pretty hard to beat omegon lx2 for quick, dirty and easy!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment, imaging, observing, tripod

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics