•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First time come to CN, Small telescope image of M45

imaging
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Starflame

Starflame

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Kunming of China

Posted 22 January 2020 - 08:34 AM

Hi ~ 

Please forgive me for my poor English. I am here for the first time. I hope you can give me more advice.

Telescope: AT60ED

Mount: Sky-Watcher EQ6-R 

Camera: QHY8L CCD

Filters: None

Guiding:50mmF4+QHY5III224c

LIGHT:5min*150,DARK:none,FLAT:none,BIAS:none。

ms0q.jpg

• PrestonE, nofxrx, okiedrifter and 16 others like this

#2 tjschultz2011

tjschultz2011

Ranger 4

• Loc: Eldorado, WI

Posted 22 January 2020 - 08:42 AM

Very nice image. Thanks for posting

TJ

#3 Starflame

Starflame

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 January 2020 - 09:23 AM

Very nice image. Thanks for posting

TJ

Thank you very much. You are the first one who replied to me when I came here!

#4 sunnyday

sunnyday

Voyager 1

• Loc: the Canadian nebula .

Posted 22 January 2020 - 09:39 AM

hi and welcome 

nice work you have done  smile.gif

#5 lynnelkriver

lynnelkriver

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Elk River, Mn.

Posted 22 January 2020 - 09:42 AM

Beautiful image!  All the best, Scott

#6 Starflame

Starflame

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 January 2020 - 09:48 AM

hi and welcome 

nice work you have done  smile.gif

lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

#7 Starflame

Starflame

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 January 2020 - 09:48 AM

Beautiful image!  All the best, Scott

Thank you very much !

#8 nimitz69

nimitz69

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: A barrier island 18 miles south of Cocoa Beach

Posted 22 January 2020 - 06:14 PM

Good image but you need to start doing cal frames every time you image - there really is no excuse for not doing them and if you take shortcuts now you will likely never learn good habits and your images will always suffer.  Create a dark library during some cloudy night and then all you need to do is take bias & flats.  Maybe 10mins at he end of an imaging session is all the time needed to take 30-40 bias & flat frames ... no big deal ...

• elmiko likes this

#9 elmiko

elmiko

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 22 January 2020 - 08:50 PM

You can also make a master bias, so all you have to do is flats before or after the imaging session.

#10 Starflame

Starflame

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 January 2020 - 09:28 PM

Good image but you need to start doing cal frames every time you image - there really is no excuse for not doing them and if you take shortcuts now you will likely never learn good habits and your images will always suffer.  Create a dark library during some cloudy night and then all you need to do is take bias & flats.  Maybe 10mins at he end of an imaging session is all the time needed to take 30-40 bias & flat frames ... no big deal ...

The telescope is located in a remote observatory, and the whole set of equipment is in the testing stage. Since this camera does not have a mechanical shutter, it does not take photos of DARK and BIAS.Because the diameter of the telescope is so small, the imaging field is already flat.In fact, because the first choice telescope is broken, had to change to this small - diameter telescope.Please forgive me my English is not very good, I don't know if the expression is clear

#11 Starflame

Starflame

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 January 2020 - 09:31 PM

You can also make a master bias, so all you have to do is flats before or after the imaging session.

Thanks for your advice. I'll try my best

#12 nimitz69

nimitz69

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: A barrier island 18 miles south of Cocoa Beach

Posted 23 January 2020 - 10:22 PM

The telescope is located in a remote observatory, and the whole set of equipment is in the testing stage. Since this camera does not have a mechanical shutter, it does not take photos of DARK and BIAS.Because the diameter of the telescope is so small, the imaging field is already flat.In fact, because the first choice telescope is broken, had to change to this small - diameter telescope.Please forgive me my English is not very good, I don't know if the expression is clear

A mechanical shutter doesn’t matter for taking darks as you simply put a cover over the camera lens or telescope to take them.  Size of you scope also doesn’t matter for flats you still need to take them to eliminate any dust motes or similar things on the objective as well as any vignetting.  Always take darks, flats and bias if you are imaging with a moderate digital camera - always. 

Edited by nimitz69, 23 January 2020 - 10:23 PM.

#13 skycamper

skycamper

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Beaverton OR

Posted 23 January 2020 - 10:49 PM

Nice image !!  Your English is better than mine and I only know one language!  Hahaha!   Regarding your telescope, you need FLATS and we dont mean a flat field telescope.  We mean putting a light source in front of your telescope and taking an image with the field perfectly illuminated.  Use youtube or Google  and type in " creating astrophotography flats"

Do you have a photo of you equipment?  Good work man!

#14 Starflame

Starflame

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 January 2020 - 10:48 AM

Nice image !!  Your English is better than mine and I only know one language!  Hahaha!   Regarding your telescope, you need FLATS and we dont mean a flat field telescope.  We mean putting a light source in front of your telescope and taking an image with the field perfectly illuminated.  Use youtube or Google  and type in " creating astrophotography flats"

Do you have a photo of you equipment?  Good work man!

Hahaha ! I use the translation software edit, I can not speak English very well!Our remote observatory is currently being rebuilt and is expected to be completed next month. When I took this photo before, I did not carefully debug it, and there are indeed many problems. The equipment I used before is the one on my avatar.The device I will use in the future will look like this:

Telescope: Sky-Watcher 8'' F4&MPCC

Mount: Sky-Watcher EQ6-R

Camera: QHY247C 

Guide:QHYoag-m+QHY5III224c

Computer:Industrial mini computer

DIY lens cover : Can take Dark、Bias and FLAT

DIY Power management system : The 4-way 12V power switch can be remotely controlled by APP

The most common problem with remote observatories is power supply,The most common problem with remote observatories is power supply, as well as the wiring of every necessary device to avoid entanglement, and EQMOD is also DIY.With previous experience, the new observatory should be able to take better pictures of celestial bodies.

#15 Starflame

Starflame

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 January 2020 - 10:53 AM

A mechanical shutter doesn’t matter for taking darks as you simply put a cover over the camera lens or telescope to take them.  Size of you scope also doesn’t matter for flats you still need to take them to eliminate any dust motes or similar things on the objective as well as any vignetting.  Always take darks, flats and bias if you are imaging with a moderate digital camera - always. 

Mechanical shutter is convenient for shooting DARK and BIAS. In the future, our telescopes will also use DIY lens covers to shoot DARK FLAT and BIAS.The previous experience will serve as a better lesson, and our remote observatory will be rebuilt again next month, when it will produce even better images of celestial bodies.Thanks for your advice.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics